• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
JFK

Man who claims his 'tribal' ears got him rejected from countless jobs has his lobes TRIMMED in £1,900 corrective procedure

... guy finds out that having massive holes in your ears may not be such a good idea when you're in a office or customer-facing environment. What a surprise.

Also, full-sleeve tattoos ... gotta stay classy.

... so he thinks he's/was a rock-star - but can't get a job in an office. What a fucking douche.

tbf I see quite a few people with these lobe-stretchers and whilst I do appreciate that they look interesting, you've got to consider the long-term impact (along with FUCKING NECK TATTOOS!).  When I was at uni I had quite a few piercings (nose piercing, 3 piercings in 1 ear, 1 in the top part of the other ear), but I was always conscious of what something would look long-term, hence not going down the tattoo route

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4681532/Job-seeker-fixes-tribal-earlobes-1-900-surgery.html

Man who claims his 'tribal' ears got him rejected from countless jobs has his lobes TRIMMED in £1,900 corrective procedure

• Sam McCorkell, 21, from Buckinghamshire, had stretchers put in aged 12 
  • Kept the 30mm earlobe stretchers (also known as 'tribal' ears) for 10 years
  • Sam claims his rockstar image was holding him back from finding a job
  • Decided to shell out more than £1,900 for a corrective 'trimming' procedure

By Unity Blott For Mailonline

Published: 12:32, 10 July 2017 | Updated: 15:30, 10 July 2017

A man who couldn't get a job after getting 'tribal' earlobes has forked out more than £1,900 to get them fixed.

Sam McCorkell, 21, from Buckinghamshire, felt 'mentally defeated' after being rejected from countless jobs and ultimately decided that his rockstar image was ruining his chances of landing a career.

The musician first had earlobe stretchers, also known as 'tribal ears', put in at the age of 12 after being inspired by his heavy metal heroes.

The 1.2in (30mm) stretchers were the largest available on the market at the time and, over time, worked to stretch and enlarge Sam's lobes.

Sam McCorkell had earlobe stretchers, also known as 'tribal ears' put in at the age of 12 after being inspired by his heavy metal heroes (pictured before the corrective procedure)

+10
  •  

Sam McCorkell had earlobe stretchers, also known as 'tribal ears' put in at the age of 12 after being inspired by his heavy metal heroes (pictured before the corrective procedure)

But after a decade of job rejections and disparaging comments they were holding him back and decided to undergo a corrective treatment.

Surgeons at the The Private Clinic of Harley Street, where Sam underwent the 'corrective tribal ear procedure', claim they have seen an enormous uplift in people seeking the treatment in recent years, as stretched lobes continue to fall out of fashion.

Before undergoing the treatment, Sam endured 'disapproving looks' from people in the street and says strangers would cross the road to avoid passing him by.

The rocker's career also suffered as a result of his over-sized lobes; from avoiding applying for jobs, to being asked awkward questions from recruiters, he struggled to land a 'normal' office job for several years.

'I wanted to do more with my life and felt like my ears have, and would, hold me back', said Sam.

Sam (pictured before the 'trimming' procedure) felt 'mentally defeated' after being rejected from countless jobs and decided that his rockstar image was ruining his career chances

Sam (pictured before the 'trimming' procedure) felt 'mentally defeated' after being rejected from countless jobs and decided that his rockstar image was ruining his career chances

Sam now. He said of his new image: 'Some of my friends are studying engineering and I now feel like that could be a career path for me too. The procedure has opened up a lot of new options and opportunities for me'

Sam now. He said of his new image: 'Some of my friends are studying engineering and I now feel like that could be a career path for me too. The procedure has opened up a lot of new options and opportunities for me'

'I've avoided applying for jobs in the past because mentally, I already felt defeated. I was also sick of the questions, with people constantly asking about my ears.

'I think my friends who have earlobe stretchers are not moving up as fast in the workplace, or not reaching their full potential, because of their ears. I believe in self-expression but realise now that it is not worth my future'.

In June, Sam finally decided to undergo earlobe repair surgery at The Private Clinic. 

The corrective procedure, which takes 20-30 minutes, is performed under local anaesthetic, while the patient is still awake but under conscious sedation. 

Sam before undergoing the The Bilateral Stretched earlobe repair, which starts at £1,890 and varies according to the degree of correction required and whether it is just the one ear or both

Sam before undergoing the The Bilateral Stretched earlobe repair, which starts at £1,890 and varies according to the degree of correction required and whether it is just the one ear or both

Good as new: The corrective procedure, which takes 20-30 minutes, is performed under local anaesthetic, while the patient is still awake but under conscious sedation

Sam now

Good as new: The corrective procedure, which takes 20-30 minutes, is performed under local anaesthetic, while the patient is still awake but under conscious sedation

For patients like Sam, who have stretched their lobes beyond just a couple of centimetres, the lobes cannot spring back to their original shape with the help of a few simple stitches; instead, the excess flesh must be trimmed and the earlobe carefully reshaped by a surgeon. 

The Bilateral Stretched earlobe repair starts at £1,890 and varies according to the degree of correction required, whether it is just the one ear or both that need the procedure, and the size of the patient's flesh tunnel.

Mr Adrian Richards, Consultant Plastic Surgeon at The Private Clinic, who performed Sam's procedure, says he sees over 100 people for this treatment each year - and the number is growing.

He says the treatment is perfect for patients who made decisions in their younger years, which they grew to regret, the opportunity to have those mistakes corrected. 

Sam before taking the plunge. He told MailOnline: 'I've avoided applying for jobs in the past because mentally, I already felt defeated. I was also sick of the questions, with people constantly asking about my ears'

Sam before taking the plunge. He told MailOnline: 'I've avoided applying for jobs in the past because mentally, I already felt defeated. I was also sick of the questions, with people constantly asking about my ears'

Sam on stage with his band. During his job hunt, he endured 'disapproving looks' from people in the street and says strangers would even cross the road to avoid passing him by

Sam on stage with his band. During his job hunt, he endured 'disapproving looks' from people in the street and says strangers would even cross the road to avoid passing him by
Sam (left) says his career also suffered as a result of his over-sized lobes; from avoiding applying for jobs, through to awkward questions, he struggled to land a 'normal' office job

Sam (left) says his career also suffered as a result of his over-sized lobes; from avoiding applying for jobs, through to awkward questions, he struggled to land a 'normal' office job

'I wanted to do more with my life and felt like my ears have, and would, hold me back', said Sam (pictured now, post-treatment)

'I wanted to do more with my life and felt like my ears have, and would, hold me back', said Sam (pictured now, post-treatment)

'I frequently see patients who regret the decisions that they have made and ear lobe stretchers are perhaps one of the most common,' Mr Richards said.

'Before they come to see me, many people put off the process for years, believing that any corrective procedure would be painful and expensive.

'But, in reality, this is an issue that can often be corrected quickly and simply, without the need for a painful operation or lengthy downtime.

'I see a large number of men and women who are looking to progress careers in the army, navy or the emergency services, most of which may not accept candidates with excessively stretched ear lobes. So for those individuals, this really can be a life-changing procedure.'

Sam added: 'Some of my friends are studying engineering and I now feel like that could be a career path for me too. The procedure has opened up a lot of new options and opportunities for me.'

This is where Trump comes in though? He's always dressed to do business. And this is why in a way part of the business world is secretly glad that he got elected.

Businesses in the UK (we're not talking media, or internet Silicon Valley Google/Facebook companies) in the more traditional sense, will want to hire people who are going to work and represent the company.

So visible tattoos on the face, face piercings, excessive rings, jewellery, neon hair, holes in jeans (where's your business suit?) at the interview, for a job that is customer or client facing, will generally guarantee you a fail at the interview.

The Masai in Kenya have pierced elongated earlobes. Occasionally they'd go up to the market to sell a goat or two and with a few shillings in their pocket, would go out and get pissed and hire a prozzie or two.

When they'd had their fill and had passed out, the girls would padlock their ear to the bed and fuck off with the money 😅

Not easy to chase after them with a bed attached to your ear!

11 minutes ago, dgul said:

Hmm.  Like many people nowadays he's explained his lack of success on various external factors, which 'aren't fair'.

I consider myself blessed as, being white, male and boringly normal, any lack of success in my life is entirely my fault, so I can at least try to overcome them rather than wallow in the whole 'unfairness' of it all.

Oh, but some of his friends have done engineering and that's something he would like to do - but presumably lacks the nouse.  He's just a knob.

I work in a computer science-type role, this is an area which is renowned for the non standard looks/clothing, you get on because of what you can do, HOWEVER, whenever I'm meeting other teams (I work in a large research hospital environment) I wear smart business casual - so that's smart work trousers and a business casual smart shirt.  I don't have lots of tattoos (none in fact. I FEEL DISCRIMINATED AGAINST!!!) or piercings (well the holes have closed up), I find that you are taken more seriously and with more respect. It's also showing respect for the people that you are meeting with - potential clients / collaborators / funders.  I leave the slightly dishevelled casual look for when I've got a lot of work to do and know that I won't be interacting with anyone else apart from the shared office I work in.

I used to be an IT manager for a bank (boo hiss). I once had one of these mutants turn up for interview for a Web Developer position with similar ear deformities. I interviewed him with one of my team leaders. After I'd shown him out we sat back down in the office to discuss the candidate. First thing we did was turn to each other and said in horror, 'those ears!'. NFW was he getting the job. I vaguely recall he had a brown suit on too as if the ears weren't bad enough. Wtf gets into their heads?

2 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Lose the bumfluff and stitch up your ears you total gonk.

Not overly arsed about the tattoos as they're so ubiquitous now that I'm starting to think people were born with them but why the fuck would you do that to your ears?

If your Ubangi living somewhere deep in the Rift Valley who lives off hunting and scratch farming and it's a thousand years of tribal tradition then you've earned the right.

If your Gavin from Shropshire who works in a mobile phone shop, then it just makes you a bit of a tragic wanker.

indeed...its earpropriation.

He's sick of people talking about his ears? Well you did spend a lot of time and effort making yourself look like fucking Dumbo so what do you expect. If I chose to wear a halibut on my head I could hardly complain when people keep wanting to discuss my fishy headwear.

Edited by the gardener

58 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Lose the bumfluff and stitch up your ears you total gonk.

Not overly arsed about the tattoos as they're so ubiquitous now that I'm starting to think people were born with them but why the fuck would you do that to your ears?

If your Ubangi living somewhere deep in the Rift Valley who lives off hunting and scratch farming and it's a thousand years of tribal tradition then you've earned the right.

If your Gavin from Shropshire who works in a mobile phone shop, then it just makes you a bit of a tragic wanker.

THIS

1 hour ago, NTB said:

I used to be an IT manager for a bank (boo hiss). I once had one of these mutants turn up for interview for a Web Developer position with similar ear deformities. I interviewed him with one of my team leaders. After I'd shown him out we sat back down in the office to discuss the candidate. First thing we did was turn to each other and said in horror, 'those ears!'. NFW was he getting the job. I vaguely recall he had a brown suit on too as if the ears weren't bad enough. Wtf gets into their heads?

i mean, there are people who are such a fucking genius that they can get away with this sort of thing, those people are by and large rare and usually don't want the hassle of management shite so they're happy doing their own thing.

Unfortunately you have to fit in a bit - or you can go and work in a goth clothing shop.  If I'm taking advice on buying something, I don't want to be advised by some fucking derp like this. How can I take him (or the organisation he represents) seriously.

I would add that I've had a small number of professional relationships with people with grommets, and in nearly all occasions they've shown themselves to be perfectly good, and exceptional on occasion. I've found in life that it's better to discriminate against people who are complete morons rather than those with funny ears or who have tattoos.

5 minutes ago, dgul said:

I would add that I've had a small number of professional relationships with people with grommets, and in nearly all occasions they've shown themselves to be perfectly good, and exceptional on occasion. I've found in life that it's better to discriminate against people who are complete morons rather than those with funny ears or who have tattoos.

If you're talking about Wallace then I fully agree, Pass the cheese please.

At the end of the day, employers are looking for workers, not shirkers. Are you a worker or a shirker?

If a person had a split second choice to do some work or have a chat, what would they do? Why would they make a decision to chat and not work - it's how they are wired. The workers are hired to do work, to return to the owner of the business, or to shareholders. Shirkers put upon the rest of the workforce, because they have to work harder to carry the shirker. The worst case scenario is that all workforce becomes shirkers, as they know they might get away with it.

A beehive consists of worker drones, they all look the same and are busy working for the Queen Bee. What would happen if all the bees became individuals and spent more time on their phones, chatting and making their appearances different as they don't want to be a worker drone? The Queen Bee would die, and all of them would die.

Some people don't like the idea of being a corporate drone. But unless you have a rare special skill, you are pretty much like 90% of the corporate drones. For people coming from liberal schools, where everyone is different and special, this is a difficult pill to swallow (if they ever do). We have already a report from the CBI that school leavers don't have the skills for the modern day of work.

LINK

http://news.sky.com/story/recruiters-worry-over-graduates-attitude-to-work-10943294

A third of companies say they are unhappy about graduates' attitudes to work and their "self-management and resilience", new figures show.

I fully back people who don't want to be a worker drone, because today there is the threat of globalisation/outsourcing, automation, and no union protection. However they should be a worker at work, but do their own thing in their own time so they can follow their dreams through their own businesses. E.g. The creator of Minecraft made this in his free time. Work helps pay the bills and provides a small starting amount of capital. Whilst you are at work - you serve the business owners during that time, which is a fair agreement that you entered in to.

Edited by 201p

51 minutes ago, 201p said:

At the end of the day, employers are looking for workers, not shirkers. Are you a worker or a shirker?

If a person had a split second choice to do some work or have a chat, what would they do? Why would they make a decision to chat and not work - it's how they are wired. The workers are hired to do work, to return to the owner of the business, or to shareholders. Shirkers put upon the rest of the workforce, because they have to work harder to carry the shirker. The worst case scenario is that all workforce becomes shirkers, as they know they might get away with it.

A beehive consists of worker drones, they all look the same and are busy working for the Queen Bee. What would happen if all the bees became individuals and spent more time on their phones, chatting and making their appearances different as they don't want to be a worker drone? The Queen Bee would die, and all of them would die.

Some people don't like the idea of being a corporate drone. But unless you have a rare special skill, you are pretty much like 90% of the corporate drones. For people coming from liberal schools, where everyone is different and special, this is a difficult pill to swallow (if they ever do). We have already a report from the CBI that school leavers don't have the skills for the modern day of work.

LINK

http://news.sky.com/story/recruiters-worry-over-graduates-attitude-to-work-10943294

A third of companies say they are unhappy about graduates' attitudes to work and their "self-management and resilience", new figures show.

I fully back people who don't want to be a worker drone, because today there is the threat of globalisation/outsourcing, automation, and no union protection. However they should be a worker at work, but do their own thing in their own time so they can follow their dreams through their own businesses. E.g. The creator of Minecraft made this in his free time. Work helps pay the bills and provides a small starting amount of capital. Whilst you are at work - you serve the business owners during that time, which is a fair agreement that you entered in to.

But is it difficult to tell.  I've worked with people who are very social, chat all day, etc, but who are incredibly productive.  I've also worked with people who keep their heads down and slog away, but who's productivity is dire.   Part of this is the 'illusory work' syndrome, which can be either completely made up (I was advised when I started proper work to always hold a folder when walking around -- that way anyone looking at you would think you're doing something), or, more commonly, actual work but that isn't actually productive.  And there's also the value added stuff -- eg, if you're in a business with lots of transient workloads, you're going to prefer a 'shirker' that is willing to work a weekend every now and then (when it's really needed) over a 'good' worker that says 'no thanks' when the chips are down.  

If you have a 'I've paid you for 8 hours so you sit there and do 8 hours of work for me' attitude, you're more likely to end up with the Civil Service -- thousands of people optimised to turn up at 8, leave at 5 and look as though they're busy all the time.