• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Pay your window cleaner by PayPal

Every transaction visible to the government, everything tracked, monitored, controlled and taxed, and a cut for the banks every single time.

I'm sure that the government and their friends in the banks would absolutely love to entirely abolish cash tomorrow; and I am equally sure that, where practical (being anything up to about £300),  then I'm going to keep paying by untaxed, untracked, uncharged cash.

(I am also convinced that my gardener pays tax as he does insist upon always giving me a receipt.)

Mr Taylor, who is chief executive of the Royal Society of Arts and a former Tony Blair advisor, is set to call for cash jobs to be paid through platforms such as credit cards, contactless payments and PayPal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40561807

The guy is a son of a BBC Radio 4 presenter and hopelessly naive and stuck in a London bubble. Mind you it's the left all over that they easily articulate problems but fall down badly on the solution side.

Sure he'll be on Twitter. Someone should ask him what kind of moron suggests dealing with tax avoidance by using a payment platform, that bases itself in Luxembourg, for tax avoidance?

I don't see why odd job men should get away without paying tax, although I'm sure they'll just put their prices up. 

My lawn customers tend to be about 50% cash. I offer to take card payments, bacs, PayPal and cheque, although cheques are annoying.

I find cash or bacs best as there is no fee.

38 minutes ago, SNACR said:

The guy is a son of a BBC Radio 4 presenter and hopelessly naive and stuck in a London bubble. Mind you it's the left all over that they easily articulate problems but fall down badly on the solution side.

Sure he'll be on Twitter. Someone should ask him what kind of moron suggests dealing with tax avoidance by using a payment platform, that bases itself in Luxembourg, for tax avoidance?

I've asked him, although I refrained from calling him a moron xD

I have a few customers that I have never met in person. I go mow the lawn while they are at work etc and the money just appears in my account. I like it like that really.

26 minutes ago, One percent said:

I do my level best to pay tradespeople in cash.  I'm delighted if they don't give part of what I pay to government to waste on mass immigration and vanity projects.

just doing my little bit. :)

But I thought you had issues with the level of benefits, tax credits, 16 hour jobs etc?

But you happily aid people to claim more than they are entitled to? 

A touch inconsistent?

1 minute ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I use a lot of BACS and get quite a few cheques. Cash goes through the books as I have an aversion to authority and I really couldn't be dealing with some soulless government automaton going through my books looking for discrepancies. I know a few guys that have been audited and they were quizzed down to what sandwiches they bought during the day for lunch.

I also know a few guys that would jack it in tomorrow if they were stopped being paid in cash as they reckon it was the only way of making it worthwhile. The blokes that said this tended to have a fair few employees working for them.

If you'd asked me what I thought about non-declared cash in hand work ten years ago, I would have said it's morally reprehensible and shouldn't be done, stitching us all up etc.etc.

Today I couldn't give less of a shit. I've seen where our taxes go and where they don't, and I've been far, far more outraged by that than I have about a working window cleaner putting a few K in his pocket each year. That guy will spend that money infinately better than the Govt would IMO.

When I was self employed mainly cash, the best advice I was given was to have two sets of books B|

I've been looking at online payment platforms for my dad's business, where he could take cards as payment.  Companies like Paypal and iZettle charge anything up to 4% in fees, thus it becomes totally unviable, unless of course he puts his prices up, which he doesn't want to do.  So, he's going to stick with cash, cheque & BACS.

Therefore, this govt bloke can sod off...

Edited by Dave Beans

1 minute ago, One percent said:

When I was self employed mainly cash, the best advice I was given was to have two sets of books B|

I would say that was terrible advice. Why keep a detailed record of your fraud? One set of books and a sensible, non greedy approach is probably best. I.e. Don't declare £12k income and drive an evoque!

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

I would say that was terrible advice. Why keep a detailed record of your fraud? One set of books and a sensible, non greedy approach is probably best. 

A poor memory is something to work on.

2 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Don't declare £12k income and drive an evoque!

oh!!

It amuses me on The 'can't pay take it away' thing that whenever a corner shop or restaurant is the debtor, after lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth someone always seems to turn up with £thousands in used tenners.

I assume HMRC watch this programme?

8 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

But I thought you had issues with the level of benefits, tax credits, 16 hour jobs etc?

But you happily aid people to claim more than they are entitled to? 

A touch inconsistent?

I don't really care not just because I simply don't believe that them paying more means me, or anyone else paying less. I also think that even if the self-employed, one man band outfit, has cash in hand it doesn't come close to matching the employed PAYE benefits or job security, sick leave, holiday pay etc.

Someone in The Mail today is billed as a 52 year old retired civil servant FFS. Some would argue anyone is free to work in the public sector but to be honest, having more self-respect than joining in with what, in a lot of cases, is nothing more than a giant busy work scheme is legitimate in my view. 

6 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

It amuses me on The 'can't pay take it away' thing that whenever a corner shop or restaurant is the debtor, after lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth someone always seems to turn up with £thousands in used tenners.

I assume HMRC watch this programme?

Cash is expensive to process many will bank weekly or longer if it saves on bank fees.

Tax evasion is an egregious crime against society. Those who practice it, whether as buyers or sellers, are no better than common criminals. By looting the public purse they perpetuate the misery of the poor and create hardship for our humble public servants who toil selflessly for the public good.

Right, that's my alibi sorted next time the premises get raided :D

8 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Every transaction visible to the government, everything tracked, monitored, controlled and taxed, and a cut for the banks every single time.

I'm sure that the government and their friends in the banks would absolutely love to entirely abolish cash tomorrow; and I am equally sure that, where practical (being anything up to about £300),  then I'm going to keep paying by untaxed, untracked, uncharged cash.

(I am also convinced that my gardener pays tax as he does insist upon always giving me a receipt.)

Mr Taylor, who is chief executive of the Royal Society of Arts and a former Tony Blair advisor, is set to call for cash jobs to be paid through platforms such as credit cards, contactless payments and PayPal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40561807

I think you put too much faith in the government / HMRC. They can't possibly track billions of transactions, and are clearly inept. In fact I'd wager that you are probably just as likely to be caught being paid in cash than PayPal.

My PayPal account is registered to a misspelling of my name (on purpose). I never cash it out.

6 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I use a lot of BACS and get quite a few cheques. Cash goes through the books as I have an aversion to authority and I really couldn't be dealing with some soulless government automaton going through my books looking for discrepancies. I know a few guys that have been audited and they were quizzed down to what sandwiches they bought during the day for lunch.

I also know a few guys that would jack it in tomorrow if they were stopped being paid in cash as they reckon it was the only way of making it worthwhile. The blokes that said this tended to have a fair few employees working for them.

If you'd asked me what I thought about non-declared cash in hand work ten years ago, I would have said it's morally reprehensible and shouldn't be done, stitching us all up etc.etc.

Today I couldn't give less of a shit. I've seen where our taxes go and where they don't, and I've been far, far more outraged by that than I have about a working window cleaner putting a few K in his pocket each year. That guy will spend that money infinately better than the Govt would IMO.

Agree broadly, but the one issue I have is when the person being paid in cash is already on £500 a week tax credits, or sending 80% of the cash earned back home to Vilnius.

Paypal is exactly the same in principal to a bank account and for tax purposes every single transaction should be logged and accounted for. This is where it all falls down when dealing with large numbers of small value transactions as it becomes a beauricratic pain in the arse. You will end up having to transfer the info into a package like quick books on your phone. If you are clever and looking for a business opportunity integrating all this into one convenient app will make someone very rich.

24 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Taxation to pay for things the electorate has not agreed to such as mass immigration and vanity projects evasion is an egregious crime against society. Those who practice it, whether local or central government as buyers or sellers, are no better than common criminals. By looting the public purse they perpetuate the misery of the poor and create hardship for our humble public servants who toil selflessly for the public good.

Right, that's my alibi sorted next time the premises get raided

Corrected for you, I hope you don't mind. :)

16 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

My PayPal account is registered to a misspelling of my name (on purpose). I never cash it out.

Mine is in my previous married name. 
I don't cash mine out either.