• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

sarahbell

RE at school

Back in the 80s we did lots of stuff about Paul and the letters. we drew maps of the biblical journeys and had a passover meal (crisps mainly) 
Felt very mappy and not very preachy. Although I think there was a drawing of the two stone tablets and the 10 commandments at one point. 
We had one teacher who someone later said was a Rev. He used to like to play bible cricket which involved having to find passages in the bible before the other team.

4 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Back in the 80s we did lots of stuff about Paul and the letters. we drew maps of the biblical journeys and had a passover meal (crisps mainly) 
Felt very mappy and not very preachy. Although I think there was a drawing of the two stone tablets and the 10 commandments at one point. 
We had one teacher who someone later said was a Rev. He used to like to play bible cricket which involved having to find passages in the bible before the other team.

Both my lad's have recently done GCSE RE.

Neither of them would be able to tell you a thing about Easter, The Christmas Story, Moses or any Disciple.

Times change.

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

Both my lad's have recently done GCSE RE.

Neither of them would be able to tell you a thing about Easter, The Christmas Story, Moses or any Disciple.

Times change.

My friend did a PhD in Comparative religion and didn't do any Christianity. 

Daughter did RS for GSCE. She said it was one of her most interesting subjects. She studied Christianity, Islam and atheism, looking at various aspects of life from those standpoints. I think her teacher was also engaging - he recommended they watch "Four Lions"!

We mainly covered Christianity and studied things about Apartheid etc. I don't remember doing anything on other religions, either that or I wasn't paying attention. 

I was a good catholic girl taught by nuns. 

Like CP, my boys have being covering very little Christianity but they know loads about Islam 9_9

Edited by Battenberg

I don't remember much religious education at school. Long long time ago! I recall a local Church of Scotland minister coming every Friday to a morning assembly for the whole school where we sang hymns. Loathed going to Sunday school up until about age 12 when my mother gave up nagging at me to go.

Secondary school was about an hour a week I think in the first year. 

My two children were similar but didn't go to Sunday school. They did do a bit about different world religions that I don't recall ever hearing about at school.

Went to a C.of.E Primary school so had to go through the motions event though I hated it.

From about the age of 10 I had decided it was all a load of tosh and from my teens had worked out that it was all an archaic system of control developed to keep illiterate people in check through the fear of a higher but invisible force.

Have now come to the conclusion that the only areas where religion thrives are the third world, failed states, religious dictatorships.

11 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

My daughter did RE at A-level. She isn''t religious. She learned a lot and enjoyed it.

The course would be better named philosophy.

Those bastards get a hit from licking stamps.xD

I had an RE teacher who had to be retired because he had dementure.

He kept on telling us stories of fictitious fictitious 'miracles', unlike the simply fictitious ones in the Bible. He used to make them up.

He used to come into school for years after he retired, to take lessons. Staff members took him home.

3 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

Reminds me of an old joke:

Two nuns in a bath, one says "weres the soap ?", the other replies "yes it does doesn't it".

Mother Superior, at breakfast one morning, solemnly announced to the nuns that they had a case of gonorreah in the convent.

'Thank fuck for that' said sister Mary. 'I am sick of chardonnay'.

My endearing memory of RE lessons at school involves learning about a religious "book" that had to be wrapped in a cloth for storage.

"Why do you think they wrapped it in a cloth?", enquired the teacher.

My mate answers, bored out of his mind. "To keep it warm?"

I can't even remember whether this was the Torah or the Ku'ran.

11 hours ago, Battenberg said:

We mainly covered Christianity and studied things about Apartheid etc. I don't remember doing anything on other religions, either that or I wasn't paying attention. 

I was a good catholic girl taught by nuns. 

Like CP, my boys have being covering very little Christianity but they know loads about Islam 9_9

We had a young presumably sociology graduate who shoehorned apartheid into it, being a cynical bunch we recognised propaganda when we saw it (the opening line was something like "It's pronounced Apart Hate") and were making comments like "sounds good", "I like this idea", "can we bring it in here?".

His "progressive worldview" took a bit of a knock that day.

If we didn't pick O level RE we had to sit an RE CSE ( google it kids) 

i had no interest and still managed to pass 

i really dislike organised religions, all cults imho looking for control and money 

no idea why we are here but fairly sure religious types for all their faith don't either