• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

onlyme

Things I'd like to do but probably never will

3 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

Here's mine - also highly unlikely to ever get around to it given that afaik this is the only place in the world that you can legally (and thus insured) do it with a competent person in control. It's not exactly a weekend trip to pop out to Idaho:

Yeah, i think I'd like a jump with Jenny S too.

4 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

Here's mine - also highly unlikely to ever get around to it given that afaik this is the only place in the world that you can legally (and thus insured) do it with a competent person in control. It's not exactly a weekend trip to pop out to Idaho:

Braver man than me!

I'd do this and think this would be my limit.

Zipwire.

http://www.visitwales.com/things-to-do/activities/rocks-ropes/zipworld-europes-longest-zipline

6 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Braver man than me!

Zipwire.

http://www.visitwales.com/things-to-do/activities/rocks-ropes/zipworld-europes-longest-zipline

I saw that when it opened - that's definitely on the list, it looks brilliant!

Regarding the base jumping, I've decided that tandem method is the easiest, quickest, and by far the safest way to do it, given that there's virtually zero risk of the chute failing to open. I bungee jumped a couple of times over 20 years ago and I've never experienced that level of thrill again since. Not convinced I'd have quite the same courage now, but a friend and I seriously considered going out to Idaho to do that jump for our 40th birthdays. That was um, a little while ago and we still haven't got round to it yet.

4 hours ago, onlyme said:

Braver man than me!

Zipwire.

I wanted to do that when we were holidaying near there last summer - my teenage kids bottle it and refused to do it. Gonna try again next summer, but just buy the tickets without asking them! 

Tried going up Mont Blanc last year, there are a lot of things to sequence correctly - acclimatisation,  hut bookings - but then storms and snowfall for a week so no chance. Will do it on spec sometime, tacked onto the end of a trip somewhere else in the Alps, I hope

Edited by Panther

4 hours ago, DeepLurker said:

Get a double blowjob from hot thai hookers.

Would love to try it, but probably never will; there's the small detail that I'm married, and want to remain married...

Done that, three actually, but that was years ago when I could get it up. One of them might have been a bloke however, not sure.

Life has been much simpler since the on set of erectile dysfunction.

On 31/03/2017 at 07:24, Panther said:

Will do it on spec sometime, tacked onto the end of a trip somewhere else in the Alps, I hope

That is generally the best thing to do. I'd never really thought about it but a friend called one day and said that he was climbing Mont Blanc at the weekend (in September) with two inexperienced friends and needed someone (me) experienced in glacier travel.

We took the cable car to the Aiguille du Midi on Saturday afternoon. Night in the Cosmiques and set out around 2.30am - at that time you have a line of a few hundred head torches dancing up the Tacul in front. It is silent except for the sound of crampons on ice. We paced ourselves with what is known as a 2+2+2 tempo: 2 hours for the Tacul, 2 hours for the Maudit then 2 hours onto the summit which brought us to the summit at 9h30 (ok we were more like 2h20 - which is why no-one was at the summit when we arrived - they were already heading down) - a lot of the guided groups were short roped and it didn't look fun to be dragged to the summit by a guide in a hurry. We spent an hour at the summit then descended via the Gouter finally arriving in St Gervais (the tram wasn't running due to rockfall) late in the evening.

My friend had waited for the perfect weather window - a week of anticyclone. Don't try it in marginal conditions. Even so, in early September it was very, very cold. I couldn't stop or I would have frozen. It only got warm enough to stop when we reached the summit.

The gouter descent is hairy, constant small rock fall, even outside of the "couloir of death".

I had no acclimatization and hadn't walked much that summer.

The huts are easier to book outside of the July/August period. If you return via the 3 Monts Blancs route you have to make the cable car by 16h30 - you need to watch the timings but it is preferable than walking right the way back to the valley.

You should do it, there are things like the sun coming up on the col du Brenva that you will remember for life

https://goo.gl/photos/JmCjsyGk8NfhSWEh6

or sitting under the lenticule on the summit

https://goo.gl/photos/aTvBXjZHuBKC69NQA

Edited by davidg