DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

SQNXF - What are the chances for gains?

No One

image.png.5537f1fc9e80b4a91abac87530ded922.png

Square Enix is a Japanese videogame company most well know for two Franchises of game with very loyal followings, Final Fantasy and Dragon quest.

In 2015 at the Sony Playstation conference they suprised evryone with the HD remaster of FFVII videogame, which is due to launch in March of this year.

Back then I though of buying in but I had no idea how. At present I can't afford stocks, let alone the bills as I have only just started working again, but I can't help but to feel very sorry for myself.

Price is in Yen

image.png

The final fantasy 7 remake will be a big deal and they will sell millions, guaranteed. But looking at the chart that could already be priced in.

I don't hold any gaming stocks myself but I'm interested in gaining some exposure. If there is another recession there will be a lot of people sitting on the sofa all day.

• Agree 1

My prediction is that the Final Fantasy VII remake will be a complete and utter critical and commercial disaster. It’s been in development for years; they’ve cut it into chapters and it won’t get close to recouping the costs.

Dragon Quest is great mind you.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Castlevania said:

My prediction is that the Final Fantasy VII remake will be a complete and utter critical and commercial disaster. It’s been in development for years; they’ve cut it into chapters and it won’t get close to recouping the costs.

The gaming community does love to slaughter a holy cow, and the hype around this game and the remake is huge. I'm also not convinced they can really pull it off properly, as a lot of what was good about it was its 1990s ps1 weirdness, but I do think they will sell a lot of copies, at least of the initial chapter of the remake.

Also I don't think I've ever played a square game that was actually bad - they are extremely consistent in presentation/ gameplay even when the underlying story isn't that great (or intelligible).

• Agree 1

I think I’ll keep an eye on it and when I’m better financially I’ll buy during development of part two and sell after release .

vidrogame cycles are like the auto development Cycle 

10 hours ago, Hardhat said:

The gaming community does love to slaughter a holy cow, and the hype around this game and the remake is huge. I'm also not convinced they can really pull it off properly, as a lot of what was good about it was its 1990s ps1 weirdness, but I do think they will sell a lot of copies, at least of the initial chapter of the remake.

Also I don't think I've ever played a square game that was actually bad - they are extremely consistent in presentation/ gameplay even when the underlying story isn't that great (or intelligible).

Games that have been in development for that long and have missed multiple release dates is usually a bad sign. Then chopping it into full priced chapters. I’d like to be proven wrong, but think this would have been put down were it not carrying the FF7 name.

CD Projekt Red has potential as a gaming company - they are going to release a new IP next year and they have the Witcher games which has just become a successful Netflix series. WSE: CDR

On 04/01/2020 at 09:12, Castlevania said:

Games that have been in development for that long and have missed multiple release dates is usually a bad sign. Then chopping it into full priced chapters. I’d like to be proven wrong, but think this would have been put down were it not carrying the FF7 name.

SQEX has allways had troubled releases but regardless, sold vast amounts of games. Mainly due to their franchses being so liked.

Also there is the ventures into MMO worlds that give them a steady income.

2 hours ago, Hardhat said:

CD Projekt Red has potential as a gaming company - they are going to release a new IP next year and they have the Witcher games which has just become a successful Netflix series. WSE: CDR

The TV series is based on the book, although I guess it could help boost sales of the game.

The shares look outrageously expensive. Market cap of 27.5 billion polish zloty, which is over £5.5 billion!

Edit: They’re worth more than Square Enix.

Edited by Castlevania

Yeah, might be overvalued at the moment. Would have been a much better buy about a year ago.

That said, Final Fantasy 15 has sold 8.1m copies, whereas the Witcher 3 has sold over 20 million, and the other two games 20 million together. Now that the series is out they're likely to sell more.

Plus they have a new sci fi game called Cyberpunk 2077 coming out next year starring Keanu Reeves which is pretty hyped up.

Apparently they have a lot of debt though.

No debt: https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/investors/financial-summary-report/

Edited by Hardhat
checked financials
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Hardhat said:

Yeah, might be overvalued at the moment. Would have been a much better buy about a year ago.

That said, Final Fantasy 15 has sold 8.1m copies, whereas the Witcher 3 has sold over 20 million, and the other two games 20 million together. Now that the series is out they're likely to sell more.

Plus they have a new sci fi game called Cyberpunk 2077 coming out next year starring Keanu Reeves which is pretty hyped up.

Apparently they have a lot of debt though.

No debthttps://www.cdprojekt.com/en/investors/financial-summary-report/

nice

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 05/01/2020 at 18:46, Hardhat said:

Yikes

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 11.39.30.png

• 2 weeks later...

You would have made a decent ~20% on SQNXF if you'd invested when you started this thread @No One!

For the record I got the FF7 remake and it's pretty great!

• Agree 1

Castlevania
11 hours ago, Hardhat said:

You would have made a decent ~20% on SQNXF if you'd invested when you started this thread @No One!

Yes. I was wrong with regards to the FF7 Remake. It’s very good. They’ve clearly stolen some ideas from the Yakuza series (if you haven’t played that, then you should - it’s totally brilliant - start with Yakuza 0) but other than a bit of padding it’s pretty much everything you could wish for from a remake.

On 03/01/2021 at 00:56, Hardhat said:

I can’t buy it on T212