• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
SNACR

NI Bonfires - Depressing But Grudgingly Impressive

Recommended Posts

They used to be community events when I was a kid 

These days some of them have got totally out of hand, particularly in Belfast 

any attempt by the authorities to limit the size is seen as an attack on cultural expression and there is the fairly open threat of violence from loyalist paramilitary groups 

I certainly wouldn't be taking my kids to see the bonfires the way my dad took me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, montecristo said:

and lots of councils give them bonfire grants.  So the UK tax payer is paying for them.  9_9

I'm sure the billion quid we've handed them will help clean up the fucking mess after the 'celebrations'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

No idea what this is about despite reading some of the article. But worth noting any pallet that is painted means it's not yours and the company wants it back!

We get between £2 and £4 for the empty whites a company takes from us so there's a fair bit of cash value in those stacks.

Blue Cheps and red LPR's tend to go back to them but a lot of the other coloured or stamped 'property of' just get sold on or burned. I've had some pretty impressive pallet bonfires but none on this scale.

Chep or LPR could always go for a game of pallet Jenga and reclaim their pallets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Malthus said:

Ps 

the whole bonfires and marching season does bring out some great NI humour 

IMG_3603.PNG

Yeah, on the plus side it could be worse they could have modelled the pallet stack on Grenfell Tower.

Here's one being lit

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO this is the benefit of university education.  Go and live somewhere else for a few years to discover the twattishness in your home town.  Oh, you might come back afterwards, but at least you'll see the stupid bits for what they are, and understand the nice parts of the traditional aspects.  They could do worse than have a small grant for every HE/apprenticeship with a stipulation that it has to be at least 100 miles from your home town.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dgul said:

IMO this is the benefit of university education.  Go and live somewhere else for a few years to discover the twattishness in your home town.  Oh, you might come back afterwards, but at least you'll see the stupid bits for what they are, and understand the nice parts of the traditional aspects.  They could do worse than have a small grant for every HE/apprenticeship with a stipulation that it has to be at least 100 miles from your home town.

Small towns are the worst for fostering pig-ignorance and small minded fuckery.

Not saying that big cities are some kind of salvation but a few peeks over the parapet once in a while does wonders for peoples attitudes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Small towns are the worst for fostering pig-ignorance and small minded fuckery.

Not saying that big cities are some kind of salvation but a few peeks over the parapet once in a while does wonders for peoples attitudes.

Years ago I had a shop in a small town, and with other interested parties, were lobbying the council to build some decent public toilets, in the shopping area. 

A load of vociferous locals torpedoed it by complaining it would be a waste of money as they would be mostly used by people who didn't live in the town. The argument that attracting visitors benefitted the town and created jobs was totally lost on them. I think they saw me as exactly the sort of flash outsider who'd be using the loo's their council tax would be paying for.

That is the problem with fuckwittery it's catching.

Edited by SNACR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Years ago I had a shop in a small town, and with other interested parties, were lobbying the council to build some decent public toilets, in the shopping area. 

A load of vociferous locals torpedoed it by complaining it would be a waste of money as they would be mostly used by people who didn't live in the town. The argument that attracting visitors benefitted the town and created jobs was totally lost on them. I think they saw me as exactly the sort of flash outsider who'd be using the loo's their council tax would be paying for.

That is the problem with fuckwittery it's catching.

I know the sort. The type that would object to a lottery win, mainly because it's their response to everything.

Funnily enough, where I lived there was an arguement over the public bogs. They were built eventually at some expense (despite bizarre objections) but then another challenge, similar to what you described, surfaced and they were closed. 

Perfectly functional, and useful considering they were the only ones in town but shut down because of some petty wibble from someone with nothing better to do.

Genius.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remarkable that the article doesn't seem to mention recycling once - or CO2 emissions - or carbon particles - or global warming :D

Things that are so so important in England but don't even rate a mention for Ireland.  Often it feels a bit like everyone is being led up the garden path.

 

 

Edited by twocents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, twocents said:

Remarkable that the article doesn't seem to mention recycling once - or CO2 emissions - or carbon particles - or global warming 

Things that are so so important in England but don't even rate a mention for Ireland.  Often it feels a bit like everyone is being led up the garden path.

 

 

It's gets mentioned a lot particularly when tires are burned 

the problem is who do you prosecute ? 

The sad thing is the planning and building of these massive bonfires shows these guys are far from stupid , shame most will leave school with no qualifications and a bleak economic future 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, twocents said:

Remarkable that the article doesn't seem to mention recycling once - or CO2 emissions - or carbon particles - or global warming :D

Things that are so so important in England but don't even rate a mention for Ireland.  Often it feels a bit like everyone is being led up the garden path.

 

 

Burning that wood doesn't make any difference :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hopeful said:

Burning that wood doesn't make any difference :)

In England it would though.  In actual fact it might well make no difference but they even frown on small garden fires and fire ovens burning old twigs and stuff.

Not unless it's something like financialised celebratory beacons being controlled by an authority making money out of it.  

Similarly with firework displays.

Edited by twocents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.