• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Uni apps 'plummet'

R4 reports it down to rises in fees and Brexit.

Anyone thought of checking ifthe number of 18 yo has changed this year?

Or whether its finally dawned on students and their parents - maybe with an older, unemployed sibling who's working at Starbucks with their Geography degree - that a dgeree is not longer surefire to anything more than debt and a 10% tax on your earnings over 25k?

Whatever the reason any decline in uni applications is good used because so many people have been wasting their time and considerable money in thinking that a degree will somehow enhance their career when for most careers it is no more than a very expensive irrelevance.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Whatever the reason any decline in uni applications is good used because so many people have been wasting their time and considerable money in thinking that a degree will somehow enhance their career when for most careers it is no more than a very expensive irrelevance.

What isn't been reported are the post degree courses. Anecdotally, the numbers for these have really fallen off a cliff. 

Just now, One percent said:

What isn't been reported are the post degree courses. Anecdotally, the numbers for these have really fallen off a cliff. 

If mine was anything to go by this would be mainly because they are so much harder than a first degree!

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

EU did fund a lot of psot grad courses.

I did my Masters on a 100/w Erasmus thang.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

If mine was anything to go by this would be mainly because they are so much harder than a first degree!

They are and should be.  Numbers are falling I think because people have done the cost/benefit analysis. 

Numbers for teaching qualms are also significantly down. 

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I had a discussion with a colleague about whether education should be vocational. She vehemently disagreed and put forward the view that if someone wanted to pursue a degree in fine arts, that was the example she used, then the fact that it bore no relation to their career path was of no relevance to the qualities of the student. I had to say I found her point of view understandable even though it was not in accordance with what I thought. 

She had nice tits as well. :D

3 hours ago, spygirl said:

R4 reports it down to rises in fees and Brexit.

Anyone thought of checking ifthe number of 18 yo has changed this year?...

You seem to be correct. Incredibly, the MSM don't seem able to work it out even when they have the info sitting in front of them.

A sad indictement of the state of education in the UK today.

But the statistics do show that the proportion of 18-year-olds in England applying to universities has reached a new high, with 37.9% planning to study for a degree, up from 37.2% in 2016.

“There has also been a fall in the number of 18 and 19-year-olds across the UK population since 2010. This group makes up over half of all UK applicants to universities....

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/university-applications-fall-25000-brexit-funding-changes-ucas_uk_59672866e4b0d51cda601c56

Edited by steppensheep

51 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I had a discussion with a colleague about whether education should be vocational. She vehemently disagreed and put forward the view that if someone wanted to pursue a degree in fine arts, that was the example she used, then the fact that it bore no relation to their career path was of no relevance to the qualities of the student. I had to say I found her point of view understandable even though it was not in accordance with what I thought. 

She had nice tits as well. :D

If that's what they want: to do for its own sake rather than believing that it will give them a career advantage.

I did my degree because of my interest in the subject.  Most people however seem not to.

Example, you now need a degree to be a copper, 1000s of students do the course at various 'universities' every year. So effectively do police training at their own cost i.e. 38k plus student loan. However hardly any police forces are recruiting and the ones that are want 10s of recruits.

Pay is also shit even if you do get in.

Same applies for nursing and teaching.

Don't do it if you want or need to earn decent money.

17 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

If that's what they want: to do for its own sake rather than believing that it will give them a career advantage.

I did my degree because of my interest in the subject.  Most people however seem not to.

In my experience an increased majority seem to have no reason for doing a degree other than not knowing what else to do, and there is plenty else to do.

I've posted before that engaged parents across the UK would contact me asking me to speak to their son or daughter about their University choice for their subject. However, my first question to the prospective student was always 'why do you want to go to University?', and a few deferred their application after that conversation.

IMO there are two reasons for doing a degree

i) pure subject interest and

ii) because your career requires it.

There was also a lesser third reason of 'leaving home', but as many students now live at home, that is no longer so tenable.

Edited by Hopeful

17 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

You seem to be correct. Incredibly, the MSM don't seem able to work it out even when they have the info sitting in front of them.

A sad indictement of the state of education in the UK today.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/university-applications-fall-25000-brexit-funding-changes-ucas_uk_59672866e4b0d51cda601c56

Dark days coming for the University of Bums on Seats xD

http://cynicalbastards.com/ubs/

7 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Example, you now need a degree to be a copper, 1000s of students do the course at various 'universities' every year. So effectively do police training at their own cost i.e. 38k plus student loan. However hardly any police forces are recruiting and the ones that are want 10s of recruits.

Mental, isn't it?

8 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Fuck. Is a degree mandatory in the police service ??? That can't be right...?

In my opinion HE should be free to all, but if you then go and get a job that doesn't require that degree you should have to pay the money that the education cost back.  This would discourage stupid things like saying 'police need to have a degree even though there is clearly nothing in a degree that could be useful (other than a degree in 'policing').

As it stands we've got the opposite situation.  If you do a degree in something fairly useful, like science or engineering, then you pay back the most.  If you do a degree in fine arts and then work in a coffee shop you pay nothing back (because you don't earn enough) and if you get a job in the finance industry you pay less than the scientist/engineer (because the pay is sufficiently high that you pay off the loan before the extortionate interest rates cause the debt to explode).  It is absolutely bonkers.