• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reebo

Schools need 68,000 extra BME teachers to reflect population

7 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Race is a social construct. People can transition their race. Not enough minority teachers? Break out the blackface! 

Don't need to bother with all that, just change the way in which you identify. 

16 minutes ago, MrPin said:

It's PC "racism" again. A teacher is a teacher.

I had a black maths teacher. He seemed very good at teaching classes of entirely white students.

I didn't realise that I should have been taught by a white guy. But then again I didn't go to school in South Africa.

The proportion broadly reflects the % BME in the population.  There is no bias; the 'right' number of BME are in education.

If there is a problem it is that 25% of children are BME -- a much larger % than the population would suggest.  They need to push their efforts at the demographics of younger adults and the different attitudes different communities have towards large families.

A more worrying trend is that only 1/5th of teachers are male, a trend that is far from the % in the student and  adult population.  This statistic is absolutely dire.  Does it reflect an institutionalised sexism in the industry? Is there a plan to address this?  Perhaps special funds, training or mentoring schemes?

Oh, and while I'm here while pupil numbers in mandatory education are evenly split male:female (as you'd imagine), there are far more females in higher education.  Again, is there an institutionalised sexism and what efforts have they made to stop it?  The gender bias is the same as it was when I was going through education, but that was the other way around -- back then there were myriads of schemes (overwhelming numbers) to help girls get into education.  Oh, and they're still there even though the numbers are now reversed.

More racism from the So-Called BBC.  why are they even counting the races?....it is irrelevant is it not BBC?....the anti racists see racism everywhere.

ethnic minorities should be busy becoming locals...integrating their ethnicity..nobody should be encouraging them to hold on to it...

Another embarrasing fact is that intelligence on average for some racial groups are lower than the indigenous...and I do beleive being a teacher requires a degree, some of which require intelligence of a higher level.

What we might end up with are more womens studies ethnic teachers.

50 minutes ago, Reebo said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40568987

Saw this on the local news this morning. It annoyed me for some reason. Am I being unreasonable?

No you're not being unreasonable.

If someone doesn't like being a minority in the UK they can fuck off to somewhere where they won't be a minority. Where can I go if as seems likely I will soon be an oppressed minority?

And another thing that springs up in the stats.  There are now apparently 960,000 full time equivalent teaching staff in UK (state) schools, compared with 880,000 in 2011.  No wonder there's no money.

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

It's PC "racism" again. A teacher is a teacher.

It's a good point that.

What makes a BME teacher any different to Mr Jones the geography teacher?

Black kids are more comfortable being taught by a black teacher or something?

My arse.

Unless of course the entire syllabus is being taught in Urdu, which would be moronic.

There was a time when girls were taught by girls and boys were taught by boys and there was non of the irritating percentages and diversity lark.  Percentage this and percentage that, diversity this that and the other and it all being so "challenging" and needing to be PC correct.  You needed to be able to teach though.

Some would say the UK was a far nicer country to live in then - although of course not perfect.  It's no fairer now than it was then.

Lessons are, and should be in English. The ethnicity of the teacher is irrelevant.

Of course there are "ethnic" teachers in schools. I guess it's a good role model for some kids, but I am against discrimination, and that includes the "positive" sort.O.o It's just bad thinking.

1 hour ago, BLOOLOO said:

More racism from the So-Called BBC.  why are they even counting the races?....it is irrelevant is it not BBC?....the anti racists see racism everywhere.

Remember the stink they caused when the government were talking about monitoring the percentage of foreign nationals in the work place? THAT'S RACIST the so-called-BBC said. But monitoring children's ethnicity is fine. Cunts.

PC mission creep! First the positive discrimination statements in Police recruitment campaigns, prison service and now teaching. This is the green light they need to not recruit anymore nasty rascist white people while a less abled  minority presents themselves at interview. How long will it take to back fill 68,000 BME teachers 10-15 years?

Basically, other than exceptional cases the whole of the civil service/public sector will be off limits to white people by accident of birth. Makes South Africa's policy on black empowerment weak by comparison.

1 hour ago, dgul said:

The proportion broadly reflects the % BME in the population.  There is no bias; the 'right' number of BME are in education.

If there is a problem it is that 25% of children are BME -- a much larger % than the population would suggest.  They need to push their efforts at the demographics of younger adults and the different attitudes different communities have towards large families.

A more worrying trend is that only 1/5th of teachers are male, a trend that is far from the % in the student and  adult population.  This statistic is absolutely dire.  Does it reflect an institutionalised sexism in the industry? Is there a plan to address this?  Perhaps special funds, training or mentoring schemes?

Oh, and while I'm here while pupil numbers in mandatory education are evenly split male:female (as you'd imagine), there are far more females in higher education.  Again, is there an institutionalised sexism and what efforts have they made to stop it?  The gender bias is the same as it was when I was going through education, but that was the other way around -- back then there were myriads of schemes (overwhelming numbers) to help girls get into education.  Oh, and they're still there even though the numbers are now reversed.

At my kids' school "white" children make up a little over half the intake, although the number with both parents born in the UK is pretty tiny.

I have never heard any parent or child comment on the ethnic profile of the teaching staff. Completely irrelevant to them. The male students often complain about the lack of male teachers though. My elder son aged 11 has never had a male teacher for anything at school.

Just now, Sgt Hartman said:

Yeah, me too.

Then I spoke to some people who were teachers and it put me off for life.

Exactly.O.o Too many targets and not enough learning.

14 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Yup! Lack of male teachers. I thought of teaching myself, but it didn't happen.

I (a male) taught for a little while -- incidentally at Grenfell Tower's local secondary.  The short experience put me off teaching for life, and children for a fair few years.  

This has been on LBC this morning. Black teachers calling in saying they can teach white and black kids, but black kids simply won't listen or show any respect to white teachers.

Simple answer. Stop black kids being racist. And stop pandering to racists.

Also, applying my 'does this sound Ok in reverse' principle, no it feckin' douesn't.