• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

swiss_democracy_for_all

Mental health thread

This story prompted this.....

I don't know what to think - it's clear that mental health is a real issue for many people and could easily be at some point for me or anyone else, but the problem is that it is not very easily verified, and qualified mental health practitioners are just as open to dodgy goings-on as GPs who sign off malingerers with alleged back pain. The illusion that we can be super-happy all the time is a big contributor to people's mental suffering IMO.

It strikes me that while on the one hand it's good to have issues like this out in the open, it also opens yet another door for encouraging useless or workshy people to leech off the working population. The stiff upper lip attitude of my parents generation had it's good side. 

So, how can mental health issues be properly addressed without opening yet another can of worms? (or perhaps can of leeches would be a better expression) ??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/item/cc1ab625-3180-4017-b8c8-5e54b4828d4b

Dont know.

But the likes of anxiety' and 'mild depression' overwhelm the sick list.

Mild depression is best dealt with by exercise and going out to work. Should stop benefit for anyone claiming to have it, for their mental sake.

Aniexty is easyily come over by getting off your ass and doing stuff, like work.

Mental illness is clearly (IMHO) real but:

It's easily faked - so how do you tell?

If it's not curable then a diagnosis just means you are much less employable; just imagine interviewing someone who comes out with "I suffer from depression and usually need several weeks off sick every year".

Every sympathy but I'm not employing you, whereas I would employ somebody physically disabled if they could do the job.

I think the person in the story has damaged their career prospects by this when they could just as well said they needed a few days off; which is true.

I went through some incredibly dark times in December '15. I basically took the entire month off. I was more worried that it would reflect badly on my career progression, but I ended up leaving that company about 2 months after I came back. 

The first thing I checked on when I secured a new job was that my sick-month history wouldn't be divulged to my new employer. If I was an employer I'd probably look at someone who took the best part of a month off as a little 'sketchy'. 

IMO this sort of thing only attracts those that wallow in their own mild anxiety.  

IME those that are really mentally unwell will just suffer away in silence until, without any warning they'll not turn up to work one day.

I think all these shirkers getting signed off with clinical depression and the like should be sacked o nth spot.

Here's a good example of a young lady who sorted out her mental health issue in 2 days. Fuck you Sigmund Freud:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/item/cc1ab625-3180-4017-b8c8-5e54b4828d4b

I wonder if it was sunny that day?

I wonder is shes confusing being hung over with mental health.

2 hours ago, dgul said:

IME those that are really mentally unwell will just suffer away in silence until, without any warning they'll not turn up to work one day.

Or turn to massacre their co-workers.

The ailment of choice to go along with obesity, depression and anxiety is fibromyalgia

the link between them all imho is that exercise and a purpose in life would help 

tablets, off work sick and watching daytime tv clearly doesn't  

Im not sure if this goes here of the islamification thread. I just hope that this woman was not practising her profession 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4693086/Mum-accused-killing-autistic-son-says-knife.html

A woman charged with murdering her toddler son told detectives 'it was not me, it was the power', a court has heard.

Maha Al Adheem, 42, and doctor who is from Iraq, appeared briefly before the Dublin District Court over the death of three-year-old Omar Omran.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

A woman charged with murdering her toddler son told detectives 'it was not me, it was the power'

Apparently she just Snap'ped.

Edited by eight

10 hours ago, spygirl said:

Dont know.

But the likes of anxiety' and 'mild depression' overwhelm the sick list.

Mild depression is best dealt with by exercise and going out to work. Should stop benefit for anyone claiming to have it, for their mental sake.

Aniexty is easyily come over by getting off your ass and doing stuff, like work.

What if being around other people increases your anxiety? What if loud noises, or just constant noises make you anxious? What of watching your child spinning on a roundabout makes you anxious?

I work by the way.

10 hours ago, DTMark said:

Am I the only one who read the reply as thinly veiled sarcasm?

Maybe I'm just too cynical.

Madalyn's CEO's response

Not sure. If that had been sent by a cynical Brit boss, the employee could probably have interpreted the response as "I'm responding this way to cover myself, but your career here is finished." 

Maybe she thought :- "Ok smartass, I'll make a thing of this on Social Media and then you won't be able to get rid of me."

17 hours ago, dgul said:

IMO this sort of thing only attracts those that wallow in their own mild anxiety.  

There is something in this. That email she sent doesn't strike me as being brave. It seems to be attention seeking / look at me / give me sympathy...

I'm not knocking the reality of anxiety / depression btw. 

Perhaps it's just a personality thing. Some people have to be the centre of attention. Most just slog along

It's probably true that its not good to keep this sort of thing bottled up. But the answer is to confide in some close friends or family, or a trained therapist, not the whole world via social media.

Edited by BigV

Most of it is made up or at the least greatly exaggerated. 

And I include members of my own family in this. Laziness and self wallowing pity. It's pathetic. 

9 hours ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

What if being around other people increases your anxiety? What if loud noises, or just constant noises make you anxious? What of watching your child spinning on a roundabout makes you anxious?

I work by the way.

What if someone's avatar sets off your epilepsy? 😁

9 hours ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Then there's a job waiting for you at your local council's department for health and safety.

1 minute ago, Rihard said:

Hi everyone. I just wanted to ask if any of you  have tried marijuana for medication purposes? I've been suffering severe anxiety for almost a year now and planning to use medical marijuana products for my condition.I've been reading some articles about cannabis and its medical properties here in https://www.bonzaseeds.com/blog/chemo/ and im very fascinated about it. Not lucky for me in my country use of marijuana is illegal but now im planning to move in Colorado where you can use marijuana without any hassle. I really wanted to hear your thoughts about this and if you can give my any advice or tips feel free to tell me. Thanks

I think you should try CBD.  Its good for anxiety but doesn't get you high.

I get it from here https://www.lovecbd.org/

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Soft lad said:

I think you should try CBD.  Its good for anxiety but doesn't get you high.

I get it from here https://www.lovecbd.org/

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try

A part of having Aspergers is a dysfunctional autonomic nervous system.

In short when I get anxious the autonomic dysfunction means I cannot calm down when the stressor has long passed  I get stuck in highly anxious state.

I currently take 3 medications to relieve this so I can function.

Anything that can help I'll give it a go.

Edited by JackieO

24 minutes ago, JackieO said:

In short when I get anxious the autonomic dysfunction means I cannot calm down when the stressor has long passed  I get stuck in highly anxious state.

cool

let us know how it works out for you.  Its quite expensive with the link I posted but its proper stuff.

Caffine & alcohol & diet drinks with phenalynine / aspartame,

affect the central nervous system and ramp up anxiety,

cut all these out and you'll feel on an even keel and chilled naturally

1 hour ago, JackieO said:

They sell CBD oil (apparently) in Holland and Barrett.  Not cheap, though.

It is meant to be a slow-burn type thing (rather than the instant hit of cannabis proper); people take a little every day and after a week or two see improvements.  I wanted to put a 'claim to see improvements' in there, but there is some evidence for effectiveness in aspects of mental health beyond a simple placebo.