DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DOSBODS competitive vegetable growing thread

spunko

As mentioned in another thread, would anyone be up for a competition. Who can grow the biggest fruit or veg. No prizes, just kudos if you win. :Jumping:

Some ideas of what we can grow. Would it best to use the same variety / cultivar - I assume so.

• Pumpkins
  • Marrows
  • Butternut Squash
  • Courgettes
  • Carrots

Any others?

Most of these going to take up a lot of room, apart from carrots. I grew melons vertically last year and that didn't take up much room mind.

image.png

• Agree 1

Chewing Grass

Longest Carrot, a technical challenge.

Edit:- all the ones in your list other than Carrots are what poofs eat from doon sooth.

Edited by Chewing Grass
  • Agree 1
  • Lol 1

2 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Longest Carrot, a technical challenge.

Edit:- all the ones in your list other than Carrots are what poofs eat from doon sooth.

Turnips then?

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

Turnips then?

We can have a poll for the top turnip.

Reckon longest carrot is a good bet too. Best cropping Chilli another candidate as can be easily grown indoors.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, spunko said:

As mentioned in another thread, would anyone be up for a competition. Who can grow the biggest fruit or veg. No prizes, just kudos if you win. :Jumping:

Some ideas of what we can grow. Would it best to use the same variety / cultivar - I assume so.

• Pumpkins
  • Marrows
  • Butternut Squash
  • Courgettes
  • Carrots

Any others?

Most of these going to take up a lot of room, apart from carrots. I grew melons vertically last year and that didn't take up much room mind.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=6313d54163a54dd1image.png

One of the local villages round me has a gooseberry fair. :)

https://10times.com/egton-bridge-gooseberry-show

• 3 months later...

Very nice!

I may have to withdraw from the competition as I have not been able to find any pumpkin plants and my seeds aren't doing much. I have a winter squash plant though...

Edited by spunko

The Grey Man

Bugger. i have the squashes and pumpkins germinated.

Very little space. My Daff and tulip pots have been zooped up with chicken manure to accept my babes once this cold spell Sunday clears off.

Never done Pumpkins in a pot.  When I did the biggies..200lb plus..I used to dig the root systems out to see their extent. Why? cos I was trying to do it in contained beds.

Not going for giant. that was an expensive luxury. Thai and Itallian varieties I have done before..But not with pots.

Also included pot small.lettuce. I know this works. In comp years my cold frames would be bulging with spares at this time...no hungry gap allowed before Sept!

I would never use all I had sowed but over the years I realised what pot bound stuff could be grown.

20200506_202008.jpg

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Why not wait for SPY to come along, and let us have the benefit of his wisdom?

I don't think he dares to venture into these murky waters :S

On 07/05/2020 at 11:53, Carl Fimble said:

I've got ten little chili plants growing, slowly...

Little? That is not the spirit of this thread! :Old:

xD

Edited by spunko

Carl Fimble
2 hours ago, spunko said:

Little? That is not the spirit of this thread! :Old:

xD

I'm hoping they're gonna suddenly start growing faster than 1mm a month...!

We also planted some pumpkin seeds, nothing appearing above the soil yet though. 

Edited by Carl Fimble
Sp

The Grey Man
8 hours ago, spunko said:

Right, I've bought some pumpkin seeds, although I don't know if it's classed as cheating because I've bought them from the self-proclaimed Pumpkin King.

http://www.giantvegetableseed.co.uk/giant_pumpkin_seed.html

Be interesting to see if I can get it to grow that huge, weighs 350kg and has to grow on a pallet xD

Hold them till next March. My advice.

Prep an area 3m by 6m per plant if off such seed.

The mound is the focus. Three plus barrow loads of rotted manure here. Its where the plant will.grow.

The soil in front needs to be tilled and friable. Add compost here if available.

You baby plants...ideally...only one transplant to final place.

I seed per per pot on side.

Germinate with heat mid march...earlier means a struggle.to plant out.

Go for 6. You will lose 3 plants.  Either no germination or snap when trying to plant out. They should be about 2ft for the start of May.

If you want big then you have to do.

Putting them out then is a nightmare.

They need some tent..rigged up plastic..if u dont have a ploytunnel.

The wind and late cold are horrors...protect the plant. You need as many leaves as possible.to hot the summer heat.

Training. Take the main stem. Lightly bury. Especially around leaf nodes. Here you get secondary roots. If you dont do this you wont grow biggies. This is where your global.soil prep.in autumn before helps

Then..keep the lead growing forward. The secondary laterals..bury..think of it as a n x mas tree. The tertiarys...those branching of the secondarys..remove.

Lightly bury the primary and secondaries....mid summer..means every few days.

You need at least twl plants for decent cross pollination and vigour in the pumpkin.

Now the hard part. Most of the programmers on her should find this easy🤣.

You will start to get male flowers. They look like flowers. Females a bit rarer...they have a baby pumpkin behind.

Ideally you seal off.the females early on...by mid June..check plants am..daily...plastic bag over.....you want to pollinate them..not the insects..or a neighbours weak genetic pumpkin. Soz. The world of plant genetics.

Take a male flower from your other plant..plants...Strip the petals and then..my words...tiçkle the female flower..yep thrust the stamen in side..Its very obvious.  Seal the female off again and wait a few days to see if set. If set it will start to swell.

Do this for about 3 to 4 females.

End of July..could be later in a shit year...do your killing.

You want a giant?  Kill the weaklings.  Hardest bit. Most folk carnt do it..get pumpkin greed..fine..you just wont have one beast.  It has to be left to one...yep..gamble...but thems the rules.

Keep with your covering. At this stage mid July...the mound needs a lot of water once you have set your fruit.

Avoid watering the leaves..at some point..mid August..you will get mildew on leaves..

Once exception..you want to spray ..foiliar feed..with high.potassium liquid feed. Fine. Do after fruit set.  Do evening so you dont burn the leaves..and weigh up any cold nights drawing in.

When fruit set you should also be hammering the mound with liquid potassium feed...as often as you can.

Then..if you have bured the primaries and secondaries...well these too need watering and feeding.  Target the nodes.

If you sre really going for it..them mid August onwards consider a foiliar antifungal spray weekly...The longer the leaves live...the bigger your pumpkin grows.

Water regularly..ireggular...you will split your pumpkin.

Your l

primary from good seed will reach about 6 to 7 m.

Once ylu have set your pumpkin....forget about looks.

It needs to be turned on its side..on some wood..Or the stem..becomes under stem stress and cracks..not good...The stem should loint out from the side. You might have to cut some secondary roots away from the stem..before and after to the pumpkin...to keep it slack.

The pumpkin also needs a cover. The sun will seal it and stop it growing by end of August.

Before I finished..the beast in my pumpkin fortress....plastic sheilding around the patch......was hitting 300lb...Then..work busy...and I missed an early frost...got a puncture early Oct...it rotted. Alas..I knew what I was doing then but had to give it up and leave. Keep an eye on the weather.

• Informative 1

The Grey Man

I forgot. Mound preparation.

Manure sure.  Many advocate calcium to reduce cracking.

I added that and would collect waste osyter shell fish shells etc from people..smash them up and mix in the mound.

The Grey Man

All this is the same.for giant marrrows.

The seed is a bit trickier to get but it is out there.  Plants tend to be a little smaller and less vigorous so.easier for smaller.areas...the fruit also finihes earlier...a month earlier in my experience

15 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

I'm hoping they're gonna suddenly start growing faster than 1mm a month...!

I have four "pet" chilli plants,  my only advise:

Keep warm and sunny (obviously),  they particularly like a south facing window with the curtain closed to reflect the light.

Don't let them get below 10 degC 

Water them with luke warm water (not cold).

Treat them to a little bit of zippy grow (sorry, plant fertilizer) every now and again.

Mine are 4 years old and still producing a pretty good crop.

On 12/01/2020 at 22:17, Bobthebuilder said:

Im up for the longest carrot challenge.

God help us if the xyy man ever finds this thread..    :ph34r:

• Informative 1
  • Lol 2
  • Cheers 1

Carl Fimble
1 hour ago, Libspero said:

I have four "pet" chilli plants,  my only advise:

Keep warm and sunny (obviously),  they particularly like a south facing window with the curtain closed to reflect the light.

Don't let them get below 10 degC 

Water them with luke warm water (not cold).

Treat them to a little bit of zippy grow (sorry, plant fertilizer) every now and again.

Thanks, I've never grown them before and have no idea what to expect. I'm dead keen to see the chilis grow, and cook with them. 

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Libspero said:

Chillies are dead easy to grow and crop. But I hadn't realised you could keep them multiple years OR RATHER where the hell do you keep them over winter. As it is they dominate my south facing windows and this year have almost grown up to the ceiling.

2 hours ago, CVG said:

Chillies are dead easy to grow and crop. But I hadn't realised you could keep them multiple years OR RATHER where the hell do you keep them over winter. As it is they dominate my south facing windows and this year have almost grown up to the ceiling.

Keep mine in a south facing window..  but the hard bit is getting them enough light so they don’t go all straggly.

Looks like there's going to be a frost in places tomorrow night... I've wrapped my runner beans just in case. hoping stuff in greenhouse will be okay. 

On 09/05/2020 at 10:12, Carl Fimble said:

Thanks, I've never grown them before and have no idea what to expect. I'm dead keen to see the chilis grow, and cook with them. 

which variety are you growing? 

Last year I grew ghost chillies, a bit pointless as they're just ridiculously hot and unusable. This year I'm going with Anaheim, which is possible to eat raw, a bit less hot than jalapeno. Used to be able to eat really hot chillis raw but haven't kept up with it, I think you "lose " the ability. 

Edited by spunko

The Grey Man

Alas. Only grew these at the tail end of my growing time. Snake Gourds.

Pretty easy to grow. Best up a frame. I used to do Hurst Green Shaft green pea. I got these peas to about 8ft. They need the frame that tall..once the lead starts to bend the plant stops...and your shafts are just not that big then.

Anyway. These would grow at the back of the pea bed. I was on full comp mode growing them. It was about how the whole thing looked.

Never ate the gourd either. I dried and had them around at home and the site for show at the end of that season. A one one off. Very big. Sometimes known as cuccuza the Itallian name.

The Hurst Green Shaft..not my name..used to give huge pods..touching 10 inches.... For some reason I stress the first syllables and put on a west country accent in my head...dont know why! When sayin Hurst Green Shaft. They are a Victorian variety...they need way more effort than a machine harvest based plant at 3 ft.

Great for home. Competition...and good yeilds Late main.

Anyway the post was about the Snake Gourd!cached1792367997.png.8cec5b6e5dd7214c95c58ea994e5bb19.png

Edited by The Grey Man
  • Agree 2

Mental Floss
On 10/05/2020 at 07:59, CVG said:

Really enjoyed the following

https://www.fatalii.net/Bonsai_Chiles_Bonchi

I made one and it survived the winter indoors until I got bored and forgot to water it for a bit. With this method you can effectively cut back to a relatively small stump and manage growth. The following growing season they can be replanted outside.It's really quite good fun.

I found that greenfly are an issue and you need to manage that and you lose some plants to stress. Smaller fruits tend to work better.

• Informative 2