• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
longtomsilver

Reduce, reuse recycle.

I have two hobbies currently. One is paragliding that has been off/on eversince my children appeared and I've had to dedicate more time to househusbandry (into week one of eight summer holidays). The other is motorcycling and I own a Suzuki GSXR1000 L6 Moto GP colours.

I absolutely love paragliding however it takes commitment and time to have any chance of picking the right days and being up there with the best of them. I'm 40 this year and am considering putting this off until the children are 14/16 (8-10 years). It got me thinking... my wing has perhaps one more season left before its knackered and I have to fork out the best part of £3k on new kit (I'd step down to a lower sports class if I did). Thermalling is an absolute delight, a heroin and an *addiction.

The motorcycle I accept has to go, it is just too capable and I'm a liability. On a ride out to Matlock last month the police were pulling over the motorcyclists and inspecting the vehicles, I had an advisory on the exhaust (baffles were out) and suprisingly a compliment was given on the rear tyre... there are no chicken strips and I do push the boundaries and limits to the max. Very rare that I'm not shaking at the end of a ride. 

So i'm thinking of reducing my hobbies down to one. If I sell the bike at the end of the year I'll pretty much clear the loan saving £165 a month. My lease car gets returned in November too so I'll have  £400 per month at my disposal either to feed my adrenalin addiction or put into my pension fund  (after my recent run of bad luck - I think not :D ). 

I sold my DJI drone last week as the police have taken on powers from the CAA in 2016 and they are starting to hit irresponsible owners (and rightly so) hard. This will mean a glut of used drones hitting eBay so the £500 boost came in useful for the kiddies entertainment during the holidays. I took them up in an R44 yesterday and after 15 years I can still fly them (well I was actually type rated for the R22) and the instructor said that I would be able to revalidate my licence on the R44 conversion alone (5 hours plus test). This the recycle/reuse part of my dilema. Always hankered after the R44 and in theory I'm back in the air at nil additional cost and my 140hours already logged still count.

*haven't told the family but I had a very near fatal occurrence a few weeks back and only recovered with little height to spare.

Edit: option C is to save it all and defer all interests until the children are older but I will be older too.

Edited by longtomsilver

Option C, you've taunted death plenty with that lot and got away with it. Something a little more sedate maybe but still interesting, especially with child ages, maybe something they can participate in easily. Friend bought a yacht, still plenty challenging, used it at times like a caravan on the sea and holidays away - Scillies trips were fantastic, I crewed for him and loved it.  Depends on location though as need to be within reasonable distance of decent coastline. Or something else - variety is the spice of life. Buy a camper and go on long weekends another option, again children will love it.

Edited by onlyme

4 hours ago, onlyme said:

Option C, you've taunted death plenty with that lot and got away with it. Something a little more sedate maybe but still interesting, especially with child ages, maybe something they can participate in easily. Friend bought a yacht, still plenty challenging, used it at times like a caravan on the sea and holidays away - Scillies trips were fantastic, I crewed for him and loved it.  Depends on location though as need to be within reasonable distance of decent coastline. Or something else - variety is the spice of life. Buy a camper and go on long weekends another option, again children will love it.

Agree with this.

LTS, you don't want to risk leaving your children fatherless when they're still so young. Also something you can all do together will help to build good family memories and bonding.

18 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

Edit: option C is to save it all and defer all interests until the children are older but I will be older too.

But you will at least be older.

I think we have talked before about this but I gave up lots of the dangerous stuff when I became aware of not just my own mortality but how it was affecting someone who was dependent upon me - my Mum - and what would happen to her if I was no longer around.

I only need the devil on my shoulder to tell me to stick with one of the above and not option C. Anybody? :)

The paragliding has been a therapy of sorts and a successful outing would put me in a good mood setting me up for the week ahead. I am afterall in a loveless marriage... what I really need is a relationship. MGTOW doesn't appeal to me. Golf or fishing doesn't have the same appeal to me either.

Onlyme. I couldn't be further from the coast living near the technical geographical centre of the UK however I do like the idea of a campervan but have you seen the price of a VW California Beach £45,000. That kind of money would buy a very nice hotel room near the sea which we are planning on doing anyway. Camping is still an option and we have the gear ready to go. 4 days booked in Builth Wells in August, just need to find a bicycle carrier for my CitiGo, is it capable of carrying 2 adult and 2 child bicycles :D guess I'll find out.

Re. the heli I'm still tempted to follow this up after the summer maybe only the R22 as i'd like to wean myself off paragliding and this could be the nicotine patch I need. Can always stop again. 

Thanks ppl

Edited by longtomsilver

On 14/07/2017 at 09:02, longtomsilver said:

I only need the devil on my shoulder to tell me to stick with one of the above and not option C. Anybody? :)

The paragliding has been a therapy of sorts and a successful outing would put me in a good mood setting me up for the week ahead. I am afterall in a loveless marriage... what I really need is a relationship. MGTOW doesn't appeal to me. Golf or fishing doesn't have the same appeal to me either.

Onlyme. I couldn't be further from the coast living near the technical geographical centre of the UK however I do like the idea of a campervan but have you seen the price of a VW California Beach £45,000. That kind of money would buy a very nice hotel room near the sea which we are planning on doing anyway. Camping is still an option and we have the gear ready to go. 4 days booked in Builth Wells in August, just need to find a bicycle carrier for my CitiGo, is it capable of carrying 2 adult and 2 child bicycles :D guess I'll find out.

Re. the heli I'm still tempted to follow this up after the summer maybe only the R22 as i'd like to wean myself off paragliding and this could be the nicotine patch I need. Can always stop again. 

Thanks ppl

Sorry to sound glib, but I'd sort out the loveless marriage first. Either ditch it or work on it, but letting it linger isn't going to help anyone, and substituting that with other distractions will only make it worse. Can you afford to get divorced?

If motorbikes are your thing, the various disciplines of dirtbike sport may appeal. Riding through the trees at 30mph can elicit a fair adrenaline rush and I would much rather take my chances there than on the public roads at 150mph. Generally friendly sports which remain enjoyable to take part in even if not competitive. Also good for the kids to get involved if they are so inclined - motorcycle trials especially good - affordable, friendly atmosphere, quite safe and they can start riding very young on the electric bikes.

7 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Sorry to sound glib, but I'd sort out the loveless marriage first. Either ditch it or work on it, but letting it linger isn't going to help anyone, and substituting that with other distractions will only make it worse. Can you afford to get divorced?

She's hardly ever around anyway  (in Israel as I type and has been since Sunday). I'm playing the long game... divorcing now would be an act of cutting my nose off to spite my face. She wouldn't be able to do her job without me being main carer so that part wouldn't change and i'd still be doing the school runs and school holidays (8 weeks summer :sigh:) but on a significantly reduced income  (I get £1,750 a month house keeping plus my £450 wages part-time). 

It's all about the children  (and the money, for now). 

5 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

If motorbikes are your thing, the various disciplines of dirtbike sport may appeal. Riding through the trees at 30mph can elicit a fair adrenaline rush and I would much rather take my chances there than on the public roads at 150mph. Generally friendly sports which remain enjoyable to take part in even if not competitive. Also good for the kids to get involved if they are so inclined - motorcycle trials especially good - affordable, friendly atmosphere, quite safe and they can start riding very young on the electric bikes.

Motorbikes are more a habit than my thing to be honest. I'd like to see my son try motorcross but wouldn't like to see him on the road on one EVER. There was another fatality not far from me only today. 

I've got into Mountain Biking this year. Not the same buzz as thrashing a motorbike at high speed, but it's still pretty exciting racing down a sketchy track with a loose surface at 25-30mph, or going off a big drop. Of course you can hurt yourself, but you have to be unlucky or very reckless for it to be anything worse than cuts and bruises. I bought my bike in the sales for £750, then couldn't resist upgrading it with some (half price) wheels for a further £300, but it'll certainly do me for anything I'm likely to get up to in the next year.

I've just signed up for a week's riding in the Alps next July; I'll just hire a downhill bike for £30 a day if the current bike isn't up to the job.

Steve Hislop and Colin McRae put me off helicopter flying, TBH. Could you honestly resist the temptation to fool about in ways that could end badly? Hislop died in an R44, in fact.

11 hours ago, Rave said:

I've got into Mountain Biking this year. Not the same buzz as thrashing a motorbike at high speed, but it's still pretty exciting racing down a sketchy track with a loose surface at 25-30mph, or going off a big drop. Of course you can hurt yourself, but you have to be unlucky or very reckless for it to be anything worse than cuts and bruises. I bought my bike in the sales for £750, then couldn't resist upgrading it with some (half price) wheels for a further £300, but it'll certainly do me for anything I'm likely to get up to in the next year.

I've just signed up for a week's riding in the Alps next July; I'll just hire a downhill bike for £30 a day if the current bike isn't up to the job.

Steve Hislop and Colin McRae put me off helicopter flying, TBH. Could you honestly resist the temptation to fool about in ways that could end badly? Hislop died in an R44, in fact.

I've known a lot of people who've died in helicopter and light aircraft accidents. I've never got the flying bug anyway luckily.

I try to avoid routes, on a motorbike, likely to have a lot of other bikers lest I get sucked into a race.

18 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

Motorbikes are more a habit than my thing to be honest. I'd like to see my son try motorcross but wouldn't like to see him on the road on one EVER. There was another fatality not far from me only today. 

Is MotoCross any safer than riding on the roads? I have always wanted to try MX but am too scared to go on the roads on a bike so have opted out altogether...

2 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Is MotoCross any safer than riding on the roads? I have always wanted to try MX but am too scared to go on the roads on a bike so have opted out altogether...

Have a look at enduro it's a bit less aggressive in nature. The bikes are similar, but with a slightly softer set up. They will generally be road registered, so can be used on green lanes as well as organised events. Enduro racing itself takes a variety of formats, but is more of a longer cross country race than the 40 minute sprint of motocross. It's a sport the British have been achieving at a high level on the world stage, so naturally we never hear about it in the MSM >:( Very grass roots sport and you could end up riding as a more or less beginner in the same race as a world champion.

As above, trials is also worth a look. It's probably the oldest form of motor sport and although not many know about it, there will almost certainly be a trials club closer than you think, holding regular events. In most parts of the country, it should be possible to ride a trial more or less every week of the year within an hour's drive. People are generally put off because it looks a bit weird and different. The vid is from Aus, but he has some good content about these sports which broadly translates to the UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhAUHeTVV3Q

Edited by Caravan Monster
youtube embed playing up

21 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

Have a look at enduro it's a bit less aggressive in nature. The bikes are similar, but with a slightly softer set up. They will generally be road registered, so can be used on green lanes as well as organised events. Enduro racing itself takes a variety of formats, but is more of a longer cross country race than the 40 minute sprint of motocross. It's a sport the British have been achieving at a high level on the world stage, so naturally we never hear about it in the MSM >:( Very grass roots sport and you could end up riding as a more or less beginner in the same race as a world champion.

As above, trials is also worth a look. It's probably the oldest form of motor sport and although not many know about it, there will almost certainly be a trials club closer than you think, holding regular events. In most parts of the country, it should be possible to ride a trial more or less every week of the year within an hour's drive. People are generally put off because it looks a bit weird and different. The vid is from Aus, but he has some good content about these sports which broadly translates to the UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhAUHeTVV3Q

Thanks. Looking at the trials video now and my first thought was that looks very difficult... particularly for someone with awful balance! :ph34r:

Are there many late comers to motocross/trials/enduro? I feel at 30 I am possibly getting a bit long in the tooth when it comes to this, most people seem to start as kids or is that just in my head?

The majority are late comers - the yoof generally cannot fund such activities. I would suspect the large majority of young riders will be financially supported by their parents. I am going riding with a 60 year old tomorrow who can still win the occasional easy club enduro and I know someone well into his 70s who still competes in club trials most weeks. The people at the top of the sport will have started as kids, but for most it is more of a competing against yourself type of thing. There are a number of outfits doing try it out days, or else just go to a local event to see if you fancy a go. Trials people in particular will be happy to give advice. Another factor worth checking is the availability of riding ground in your area: motocross - practice tracks / enduro - practice tracks and green lanes / trials - trials clubs and practice grounds.