• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

I have just done one ,yes you have no conviction ,but if your insurance company asks have you attended such a course ,which is the same as saying i have been caught speeding you stand to gaining nothing by doing one(more and more companies are doing this) ,save the money you would lose from not working that day and pay the extra that you may well end up having to pay anyway 

It`s the same blag as paying for protected no claims bonus 

I've never had to do the course, but I've noticed there are more sneaky mobile cameras about lately.

There was one on top of a bridge over the motorway. - No warning signs - tough luck if you are doing over 70mph. I thought it was just a van parked up, but, no it was a speed camera van!

Untitled.jpg.eae8f172ced2a591abcba50558b56057.jpg

I made a model speed camera van, and it is in the car to remind me - I'll post a picture of my fine work.

10 minutes ago, ad_ceng said:

I am of the view speeding on its own is a victimless crime so it is  not a crime.

Everyone shoyld always opt to go to court clog up the system. 

I have always wonder how it would pan out if you used your right to remain silent ,as any camera based conviction requires you to convict yourself/or the driver via admission or a witness statement naming the driver  

Edited by Long time lurking

1 minute ago, 201p said:

I've never had to do the course, but I've noticed there are more sneaky mobile cameras about lately.

There was one on top of a bridge over the motorway. - No warning signs - tough luck if you are doing over 70mph. I thought it was just a van parked up, but, no it was a speed camera van!

I made a model speed camera van, and it is in the car to remind me - I'll post a picture of my fine work.

There has to be warning sings ,it is a legal requirement , IIRC they have to be within half a mile ,but they are getting smaller and are generally on the hard shoulder side 

5 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

I have always wonder how it would pan out if you used your right to remain silent ,as any camera based conviction requires you to convict yourself/or the driver via admission or a witness statement   

Not true sadly. If you don't wish to incriminate yourself via the NIP then they'll just prosecute the person who they think it is in the photo. 

If it's not clear, you can get off, but the court takes a dim view to those who claim they "can't remember who was driving".

Edited by spunko
comma

2 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

I have always wonder how it would pan out if you used your right to remain silent ,as any camera based conviction requires you to convict yourself/or the driver via admission or a witness statement   

I thibk you have no right to silience over it. 

The letter I got was really offical about on going investigations etc. I just waited until the last day to post it back and never heard anything else from it. 

I would have gone to court though

3 minutes ago, ad_ceng said:

I am of the view speeding on its own is a victimless crime so it is  not a crime.

Having seen first hand how limits are set,  safety is at best a secondary factor.

It is mostly about the council and police appeasing vocal silver-haired moan bags.

You can set your local limits at anything you want.  Create a village committee (captain Mainwaring style). Appoint a “road safety officer”..  bully the police and council..  eventually they will cave in and agree even if your demands aren’t in line with government guidance and even if the road has a perfect safety record (looking at you Warrington Borough Council). 

Basically..  it’s all b****ks..  but it gives jobsworths something easy to do,  doesn’t require the council to spend any money, and raises a bit of cash for Sajid Javid.

Just now, ad_ceng said:

I thibk you have no right to silience over it. 

The letter I got was really offical about on going investigations etc. I just waited until the last day to post it back and never heard anything else from it. 

I would have gone to court though

I have done similar also Joe blogs of so an so address was driving after getting the photo to make sure it was from behind but the laws changed on that one now

1 minute ago, Libspero said:

Basically..  it’s all b****ks..  but it gives jobsworths something easy to do,  doesn’t require the council to spend any money, and raises a bit of cash for Sajid Javid.

This sums up far too much in modern life. 

The local road near me was fine but had chicanes etc put in due to on councillor getting upset we objected to it being bus only.

3 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

I have done similar also Joe blogs of so an so address was driving after getting the photo to make sure it was from behind but the laws changed on that one now

You can still get out of it, but it involves significant risk so not worth it unless you're facing losing your licence. I've posted a method on here before. 

11 minutes ago, 201p said:

Google maps now has a function to add mobile speed vans and the regularly show up on your route.

As you pass it asks if it's still there a imple yes/no.

So if you see the icon with a largeish number then slow down and give em a wave.

21 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

have just done one ,yes you have no conviction

Agreed, waste of time and money..  

Personally these days I would just take the points, pay the tax..  notch it down as an occupational hazard and move on.

Just now, GBDamo said:

Google maps now has a function to add mobile speed vans and the regularly show up on your route.

As you pass it asks if it's still there a imple yes/no.

So if you see the icon with a largeish number then slow down and give em a wave.

Yeah I've been waiting for technology to kill technology like this for a while. The government won't be able to turn around and make these apps illegal because it's about slowing drivers down remember, not taxing drivers... hmmm 

1 minute ago, GBDamo said:

I usually use Waze for that..  but I guess now it is owned by google it’s not much of a surprise they’ve ported the technology across.

15 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Having seen first hand how limits are set,  safety is at best a secondary factor.

It is mostly about the council and police appeasing vocal silver-haired moan bags.

You can set your local limits at anything you want.  Create a village committee (captain Mainwaring style). Appoint a “road safety officer”..  bully the police and council..  eventually they will cave in and agree even if your demands aren’t in line with government guidance and even if the road has a perfect safety record (looking at you Warrington Borough Council). 

Tell me about it,where i got done, they had moved the 30 limit hundred yards down the road to where it was 50 the previous week ,why because a hiding place came available on a bend for the van

Two miles from that place there was a road that people were actively campaigning for speed cameras to be put there due to the deaths on it ,it never had one ,,,,the reason IMO was simple you would be able to see the camera from half a mile away so it would catch no one =no revenue  but it would have slowed them down at that junction where all the deaths occurred  

Edited by Long time lurking

Indeed. 20 mph signs appeared over a couple of days in my town. No correlation to accident blackspots. Just another Council decision prompted by the handful of moaners that attend public meetings (usually more councillors and officials than residents), and the urge to 'do something!'.

A poor law, imposed with sledgehammer precision. Not an ounce of common sense or consideration of location conditions.

So everyone (everyone) ignores the new speed limit because it's too slow and they are not maniacs. Everyday, everywhere, every driver now breaking the law. Unenforceable... unless they turn up to catch people when the coffers need a boost.

Do any politicians or people in power ever say: "Hang on a minute, is this really justified?"

5 minutes ago, spunko said:

You can still get out of it, but it involves significant risk so not worth it unless you're facing losing your licence. I've posted a method on here before. 

You can do it as above but like you say now it`s not worth it ,

I gave you all the law required me to do ,,,no longer cuts it

1 minute ago, spunko said:

Yeah I've been waiting for technology to kill technology like this for a while. The government won't be able to turn around and make these apps illegal because it's about slowing drivers down remember, not taxing drivers... hmmm 

For years I had one of those things behind the grill that detected the cameras and squawked like a duck in a microwave every time I got near one.

It also went off like a Geiger counter when you approached traffic lights with a camera. It was bloody brilliant and I am still fine free.

Do they still exist?

4 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

For years I had one of those things behind the grill that detected the cameras and squawked like a duck in a microwave every time I got near one.

It also went off like a Geiger counter when you approached traffic lights with a camera. It was bloody brilliant and I am still fine free.

Do they still exist?

Yes I had one - it broke though.  This one sits on the dashboard.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.35b427cdd3a2db000b34b3fdaf602b53.jpg

5 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Do they still exist?

Lazer /radar detectors yep they are still about ,but it`s far more common now to be caught going away from the camera as they know people always put them on the front of the car 

Also the camera tech they have now is capable of working at night ,hence all the super bright rear number plate lights you see about

3 minutes ago, 201p said:

Yes I had one - it broke though.  This one sits on the dashboard.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.35b427cdd3a2db000b34b3fdaf602b53.jpg

Are they still legal  ?

Just now, Long time lurking said:

Are they still legal  ?

Don't know as I don't have one anymore. But how could they detect it? I think it works passively.

4 minutes ago, 201p said:

Don't know as I don't have one anymore. But how could they detect it? I think it works passively.

If you get stopped and it`s on your dash ,im sure they were banned even though there was a good argument  as Spunko said, for them actually slowing people down ,compared to a van/camera  that could be missed which has no effect whatsoever on the speed of the vehicle,,,but a huge effect on the local authorities bank balance  

4 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

If you get stopped and it`s on your dash ,im sure they were banned even though there was a good argument  as Spunko said, for them actually slowing people down ,compared to a van/camera  that could be missed which has no effect whatsoever on the speed of the vehicle,,,but a huge effect on the local authorities bank balance  

Oh ffs. We are dosbodders. Drive it like you bloody stole it. If you see the blues and twos in your rear view, just bloody floor it. 
ffs.