• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Bakez

Job dilemma

Have 2 options for a job

1) First job in large town in Norway, 2 year position in research. Basically will have loads of freedom. Already signed the contract 6 weeks ago. Supposed to pay deposit on flat I'm going to rent today.

2) second job got offered yesterday. Only applied because I had to to keep my unemployment benefits and kind of because I didn't want to leave my flat and country. Permanent job in a large company. Small village of 5k people 4 hours drive away from where I live. EDIT: its still an interesting job - its much closer to engineering for production rather than research

I own an apartment where I currently live and I'm not selling unless it's to buy another. So it's either work in the small village Monday to Friday and come back on weekends, driving 3-4 hours each way, or go to Norway and have a great time and then be unemployed and fucked again at the end of 2 years

both jobs are in the same industry and almost the same salary

What one do I choose

Edited by Bakez

Never been to Norway, but I am in the UK.

Norway.

A contract is as good as a permanent job, if not better. At least when the contract ends it won't come as a surprise. No such thing as a permanemt job for most employees.

Edited by Hopeful

2 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Never been to Norway, but I am in the UK.

Norway.

A contract is as good as a permanent job, if not better. At least when the contract ends it won't come as a surprise. No such thing as a permanemt job for most employees.

Indeed so!

Everyone says Norway because you've made it sound like the UK job is not interesting. Is that the case? Also it seems surprising that the salary is the same in the UK as Norway? Surely it will go a lot further in the UK? 

Is there something preventing you from moving to somewhere you like near the job in the UK? (you also made it sound like you don't like the UK area concerned)

13 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Everyone says Norway because you've made it sound like the UK job is not interesting. Is that the case? Also it seems surprising that the salary is the same in the UK as Norway? Surely it will go a lot further in the UK? 

Is there something preventing you from moving to somewhere you like near the job in the UK? (you also made it sound like you don't like the UK area concerned)

I don't live in the UK anymore

The permanent job is also interesting. Its not research, its the engineering for production and making small changes for customers. Seems like it would be great but there is not as much freedom since its so close to production

Both of them have a bad salary due to the distances involved from my home

My concern for the Norway one is that its another 2 years of 'research' aka not a real job. Also the NOK has gone down a lot due to the price of Oil declining. If the Norwegian Kroner was as strong as 3 years ago it wouldnt even be a question which one to go to.

11 minutes ago, Bakez said:

I don't live in the UK anymore

The permanent job is also interesting. Its not research, its the engineering for production and making small changes for customers. Seems like it would be great but there is not as much freedom since its so close to production

Both of them have a bad salary due to the distances involved from my home

My concern for the Norway one is that its another 2 years of 'research' aka not a real job. Also the NOK has gone down a lot due to the price of Oil declining. If the Norwegian Kroner was as strong as 3 years ago it wouldnt even be a question which one to go to.

OK, well sorry don't know if you're looking for an opinion really or just getting things out of your head into writing, which can be helpful, but I don't feel like I have enough info to offer much. I don't know - where you live, what your domestic situation is, why you don't want to move, what country the non-Norwegian job is in, etc etc etc. Hope you choose wisely.....

Norway, it will be interesting and change to see another country. Experience. You can spin working in another country and exposure to different environments to your advantage on a CV. 

Get in contact with all recruitment companies that you can, contact the other job you've just heard about explaining that you've been offered a position that's time limited and could you keep in touch with a view to joining them when your contract ends.  Consider doing a site visit during some vacation time to press the flesh, network and brown nose them, sorry, impress them with your skills.

How hot are norwegian women?

2 hours ago, JFK said:

Norway, it will be interesting and change to see another country. Experience. You can spin working in another country and exposure to different environments to your advantage on a CV. 

Get in contact with all recruitment companies that you can, contact the other job you've just heard about explaining that you've been offered a position that's time limited and could you keep in touch with a view to joining them when your contract ends.  Consider doing a site visit during some vacation time to press the flesh, network and brown nose them, sorry, impress them with your skills.

How hot are norwegian women?

They are like Scottish girls.

5 hours ago, Bakez said:

Have 2 options for a job

1) First job in large town in Norway, 2 year position in research. Basically will have loads of freedom. Already signed the contract 6 weeks ago. Supposed to pay deposit on flat I'm going to rent today.

2) second job got offered yesterday. Only applied because I had to to keep my unemployment benefits and kind of because I didn't want to leave my flat and country. Permanent job in a large company. Small village of 5k people 4 hours drive away from where I live. EDIT: its still an interesting job - its much closer to engineering for production rather than research

I own an apartment where I currently live and I'm not selling unless it's to buy another. So it's either work in the small village Monday to Friday and come back on weekends, driving 3-4 hours each way, or go to Norway and have a great time and then be unemployed and fucked again at the end of 2 years

both jobs are in the same industry and almost the same salary

What one do I choose

I worked in Norway for 12 months, I didn't like it at all. Norway is to Scandinavia as Ireland is to the UK (if that makes any sense). 

1 hour ago, JFK said:

My word ...

Calling @Economic Exile

I'm not a pure Scot. I was born and lived in Cumbria for 8 years before I came to live in Scotland not very far away from the Scottish/English border. Both my parents came from villages near Glasgow. I've always thought of myself as neither Scottish or English, like a half caste xD

The link to the Norwegian burds....a lot of young good looking ones on it. It could be paradise there. Around here there are some like that too but there are also lots of fat, obese and unkempt looking ones. Don't know if Norway has an obesity problem?

I have no advice for the OP on what job to take. Only the OP can choose. I wouldn't base my choice on availability and attractiveness of women though, I would base it on career advancement opportunities.

20 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

The link to the Norwegian burds....a lot of young good looking ones on it. It could be paradise there. Around here there are some like that too but there are also lots of fat, obese and unkempt looking ones. Don't know if Norway has an obesity problem?

The nordics would be pretty much bottom of my league of countries to live/work in from a totty point of view. As a western male of non-nordic origin your probably going to be invisible to the locals burds, your just some spud from a  uglier/poorer nation. 

Well what i would like to know is is the UK job really high paid or the one in Norway low paid ?i know you said the salary is almost the same but UK wages don`t go a long way in Norway ,3 years ago i paid ninety  odd quid for a crate of strongbow 

1 hour ago, goldbug9999 said:

The nordics would be pretty much bottom of my league of countries to live/work in from a totty point of view. As a western male of non-nordic origin your probably going to be invisible to the locals burds, your just some spud from a  uglier/poorer nation. 

I should not worry about that. My Norwegian colleague Morten looked like a Sontaran warrior. He was a nice bloke, but lacked some grace and beauty.