DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Open fires and smoke

wherebee

Question

Here's an odd one - you know when you have an outdoor fire and the smoke always moves around to follow you? (well it does me).  

Is that because your body creates a windbreak and so the undisturbed warm air in front of you moves upwards, dragging the smoke towards you?  If so, what can you do to reduce this?

3 answers to this question

I think it's more when it isn't blowing in your face you don't notice it.

12 people sat around a camp fire.

1 person posts on facebook how the smoke always follows them around.

11 people post on facebook about campfire talk and ghost stories.

11 minutes ago, wherebee said:

If so, what can you do to reduce this?

Move. ;)

Long time lurking
On 17/01/2020 at 01:15, wherebee said:

Here's an odd one - you know when you have an outdoor fire and the smoke always moves around to follow you? (well it does me).  

Is that because your body creates a windbreak and so the undisturbed warm air in front of you moves upwards, dragging the smoke towards you?  If so, what can you do to reduce this?

Sit further away

But i suspect you are right you ar creating a venturi effect of some sort ,i suspect smoke is like water/electricity,it will travel the path of least resistance  

It's a good question, so I googled it, but I am more confused than before I started.

When a person — or a group of people — stand near a campfire, our body mass slightly blocks the flow of air that is moving towards the fire. This creates a point of slightly lower pressure.

If this happens when air from other areas surrounding the fire can still flow freely, an atmospheric imbalance is created. The air moves to restore equilibrium. This movement is wind. Wind moves in the direction of the front — the person — that is blocking the free flow of air.

Additionally, when the mass blocking the air is oriented vertically, then vertical mass — rising air will follow that mass. Hang gliders understand this phenomenon, and may direct their flight over an isolated tree or structure as flying over that structure will give them a thermal lift that will raise their craft higher in the air, extending their flight.

Therefore, when you stand by a campfire, you block some cooler incoming air, and create a spot the air mass will rise and follow your body. This can result in enough wind to get a face full of smoke.

Archived