DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

How long do CDs last

MrPin

Question

7 answers to this question

I haven't played a CD for many years but started to drive an old car with a CD player now, and they finally became useful again.  

However, there is some skipping.  Not sure if it's just because of roads or CD damage.  Or roads causing CD damage at that very moment in time.

3 hours ago, onlyme said:

Had one or two visibly flake and the metallic layer break down, don't think it is that common but like everything difference in quality or the odd QC hiccup will make some less durable than others, excess heat probably won't help over time either. Obviously surface scratching is something else.

I've seen one totally disintegrate from the inside, but this new problem looks perfect, with few scratches.

Chewing Grass

I think the dye or whatever it is inside them with the 0101101s on it degrades/fades over time, I would imagine home 'burned' ones are the first to go before your 1990s Bonnie Tyler CD.

Normally scratches on the shiny side won't stop it working, but the slightest scratch on the "top" can result in disaster. It's ironic because most people think the opposite.
Also some older CDs will have early copy-protection/DRM measures built in, which stop them playing on laptops or PCs, as well as some newer CD/DVD players (those that will play MP3 CDs). I came across a music CD once which would cause the CD drive to go into a constant spin up/down loop and not allow you to remove it at all,

Had one or two visibly flake and the metallic layer break down, don't think it is that common but like everything difference in quality or the odd QC hiccup will make some less durable than others, excess heat probably won't help over time either. Obviously surface scratching is something else.

Archived