• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Vendetta

Pandemic coming? - Wuhan Coronavirus Dec/Jan 2020

How many do you think will die from nCov globally, in total?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. How many do you think will die from nCov globally, in total?

• <300
    • <1000
    • <10,000
    • <100,000
    • <1,000,000
    • <10,000,000
    • 11M +
    • 100M+
    • Oh do fuck off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51148303

‘The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the So-Called BBC. 

There have been 45 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.

Two people are known to have died from the virus, which appeared in Wuhan city in December. 

"I am substantially more concerned than I was a week ago," disease outbreak scientist, Prof Neil Ferguson, said.

The work was conducted by the MRC Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis at Imperial College London, which advises bodies including the UK government and the World Health Organization.

Singapore and Hong Kong have been screening air passengers from Wuhan and US authorities announced similar measures starting on Friday at three major airports in San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York.

How were the numbers calculated?

The crucial clue to the scale of the problem lies in the cases being detected in other countries. 

While the outbreak is centred on Wuhan, there have been two cases in Thailand and one in Japan. 

"That caused me to worry," said Prof Ferguson.

He added: "For Wuhan to have exported three cases to other countries would imply there would have to be many more cases than have been reported."

It is impossible to get the precise number, but outbreak modelling, which is based on the virus, the local population and flight data, can give an idea. 

Wuhan International Airport serves a population of 19 million people, but only 3,400 a day travel internationally.

The detailed calculations, which have been posted online ahead of publication in a scientific journal, came up with a figure of 1,700 cases.

Prof Ferguson said it is "too early to be alarmist" but he was "substantially more concerned" than a week ago.

Chinese officials say there have been no cases of the virus spreading from one person to another. 

Instead they say the virus has crossed the species barrier and come from infected animals at a seafood and wildlife market in Wuhan. 

Prof Ferguson argues: "People should be considering the possibility of substantial human-to-human transmission more seriously than they have so far.

"It would be unlikely in my mind, given what we know about coronaviruses, to have animal exposure be the principle cause of such a number of human infections." 

Understanding how a novel virus is spreading is a crucial part of assessing its threat. 

What is this virus?

Viral samples have been taken from patients and analysed in the laboratory.

And officials in China and the World Health Organization have concluded the infection is a coronavirus.

Coronaviruses are a broad family of viruses, but only six (the new one would make it seven) are known to infect people. 

At the mild end they cause the common cold, but severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars) is a coronavirus that killed 774 of the 8,098 people infected in an outbreak that started in China in 2002.

Analysis of the genetic code of the new virus shows it is more closely related to Sars than any other human coronavirus. 

The virus has caused pneumonia in some patients and been fatal in two of them.

What do other experts say?

Dr Jeremy Farrar, director of the Wellcome medical research charity, said: "There is more to come from this epidemic.

"Uncertainty and gaps remain, but it's clear that there is some level of person-to-person transmission. 

"We are starting to hear of more cases in China and other countries and it is likely, as this modelling shows, that there will be many more cases, in a number of countries."

Prof Jonathan Ball, from the University of Nottingham, said: "What's really important is until there has been widespread laboratory testing it is very difficult to put a real number on the cases out there. 

"But this is a figure we should take seriously until we know otherwise, 41 animal-to-human 'spillovers' is stretching it a bit and there probably is more underlying infection than has been detected so far."

So what do we think of this then? Did Solitaire ever make it over from ‘TOS’ ? Any resident experts on DOSBODS? 

249BCB63-F8D2-4432-AF21-741C723425A3.jpeg

Edited by spunko
Formatting

I posted about this a week ago in the Ebola thread. Im not seeing an epidemic if there are still only two deaths. Has one of the phama companies invented a new anti viral drug?  Not that I’m  cynical of course 

1 hour ago, Oskar said:

Best get some more respirator filters in to avoid the rush.

Yes those orientals seem to be taken in by these. So did the Indians las time I was there. I reckon a virus is very small and will go throught the holes.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Yes those orientals seem to be taken in by these. So did the Indians las time I was there. I reckon a virus is very small and will go throught the holes.

Thanks for the advice, I'll tape those up ;) Back in a bit....

What Wikipedia has on it:

Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) as denoted by WHO,[1][2] also known as Wuhan coronavirus or Wuhan seafood market pneumonia virus,[3] is a positive-sense, single-stranded RNA coronavirus first reported in 2019 and genomically sequenced after nucleic acid testing on a positive patient sample in a patient with pneumonia during the 2019-2020 Wuhan pneumonia outbreak.

According to WHO, there may have been limited human-to-human transmission of this coronavirus within patient families, and a wider outbreak is possible. No specific treatment for the new virus is currently available, but anti-virals could be “re-purposed”. 

Virology

Sequences of Wuhan betacoronavirus show similarities to betacoronaviruses found in bats, but is genetically distinct from other coronaviruses such as Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus and Middle East respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus.[6]Five genomes of the novel coronavirus have been isolated and reported including BetaCoV/Wuhan/IVDC-HB-01/2019, BetaCoV/Wuhan/IVDC-HB-04/2020, BetaCoV/Wuhan/IVDC-HB-05/2019, BetaCoV/Wuhan/WIV04/2019, and BetaCoV/Wuhan/IPBCAMS-WH-01/2019 from the China CDC National Institute for Viral Disease Control and Prevention, Institute of Pathogen Biology, and Wuhan Jinyintan Hospital.[6][8] Its RNA sequence is approximately 30k nucleotides in length.

Edited by Vendetta
Formatting

5 hours ago, Vendetta said:

So what do we think of this then? Did Solitaire ever make it over from ‘TOS’ ? Any resident experts on DOSBODS? 

@Solitaire replied re this subject on the flu vaccine thread, it wasn't clear at thst stage how limited might this outbreak be, and noted that using a computer gave her a migraine these days but provided a pandemic tracking link.

3 hours ago, One percent said:

I posted about this a week ago in the Ebola thread. Im not seeing an epidemic if there are still only two deaths. Has one of the phama companies invented a new anti viral drug?  Not that I’m  cynical of course 

This is China.  I doubt anyone has any idea how many have been infected and how many deaths.

8 minutes ago, dgul said:

This is China.  I doubt anyone has any idea how many have been infected and how many deaths.

Clearly "not giving a shit" is a good thing there.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

May I be the first to wish everyone a Happy Chinese New Year!

They are always late at everything. Still ,at least it will be marked "gift", and avoid customs charges.

4 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

May I be the first to wish everyone a Happy Chinese New Year!

tumblr_nw8umuR5Jq1rpduwho1_500.gif

A good point. Pretty much every Chinese I know here is going back for CNY next week and then flying back here for the end of the month.

Timing couldn’t be worse.

2 hours ago, Bkkandrew said:

A good point. Pretty much every Chinese I know here is going back for CNY next week and then flying back here for the end of the month.

Timing couldn’t be worse.

Ah Tai Ming?

SARS, Bird flu, swine flu, zikavirus, ... there's always something to worry about that ends up being nothing but bollocks. Let's hope this one isn't and millions die, just not my friends or relatives - or any DOSBODers :)

A couple of billion deaths would do wonders for the planet tbh.

1 minute ago, spunko said:

SARS, Bird flu, swine flu, zikavirus, ... there's always something to worry about that ends up being nothing but bollocks. Let's hope this one isn't and millions die, just not my friends or relatives - or any DOSBODers :)

A couple of billion deaths would do wonders for the planet tbh.

a couple of billion deaths would hardly touch the sides !

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Conniption
      The pictures I have seen of this virus on the news, well it seems like a spiky ball, bigger than a coconut. I think it won't get through a letter box, but don't fully open your upstairs windows, and keep an eye on the catflap. - Mr Pin, Governor, Steak & Kidney Islands

Whether or not we are entering a time where we can no longer depend upon our medical services, the following strategies are applicable to and efficacious for everything from bronchitis to acute asthmatic response to sudden onset catastrophic pneumonic syndrome. Though it may appear daunting it's really only two recipes and two emergency remedies with some extra mental meanderings stuck on at the end. Immediately below is a list of every remedy ingredient. I will address each in more detail below the list.
      To Build up Immunity:
      Fire Cider
      Switchel
      Garlic in any way, shape or form you can neck down, liberally and with gratitude
      Carrier Oils: Cold-pressed Castor oil, Virgin Coconut Oil
      Volatile Oil: Oil of Oregano
      Volatile Powders: Mustard, Cayenne Pepper, Ginger
      Miraculous Things: 1. Garlic and 2. Unpasturised Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother
      +
      Homeopathy
      Meditation
      Prayer
      Your Immune System
      It may not act as immediately as tunnelling under the reactor at Chernobyl, but the daily, insidious ingestion of processed white sugar devastates your immune system over the long term, as well as turning your body into a petri dish for everything you never want to encourage, like parasites, fungi, cancer and diabetes.
      We are at our most alkaline when we are born. Every year after puberty we become increasingly acid, not a place you want your body to be. The recipes below will encourage an alkaline environment, thus discouraging any and all invasive entities whether bacterial, fungal or viral. What's more, it will heal your entire digestive tract.
      Fire Cider
      1 medium onion
      10 cloves garlic
      2 hot chili peppers
      zest and juice of one lemon
      1/2 cup ginger powder
      1 tblsp turmeric
      1/4 tsp cayenne
      2 tablespoons dried rosemary
      1 teaspoon ground black pepper
      1/2 cup horseradish powder (or fresh horseradish. Do not use horseradish cream in a jar. If you simply cannot fresh get horseradish, up the cayenne to a heaping teaspoon and the chilies to four rather than two.

Chop everything choppable and spoon everything spoonable into a quart (liter+) snap-lid Kilner jar, then top up with apple cider vinegar. Let sit in the dark for a month, shaking it several times a week, then strain out the big bits and discard them. Stir one-half cup of the best honey money can buy into the concentrated essence and keep it in the fridge. Then make a new batch ready for next month. Take it neat if you are the gimme the hottest vindaloo ya got type. For normal people, dilute several tablespoons of fire cider in as much water, warm or cool, as you like and drink it down every morning.

Hillbilly Pimms
      One organic cucumber, peeled then washed. Discard the outside peelings, then keep going until you have a pile of paper-thin slices. Put them in a large glass pitcher and fill with clean, filtered water. Set it in the fridge to bask overnight.
      Get a funnel and a quart bottle with a grolsch-style cap, or a big pickle jar with a tight lid, or whatever works. Get your funnel if you are working with a bottle and put in 1-2-3… 
      1 tablespoon organic powdered ginger
      2 tablespoons organic live apple cider vinegar
      3 tablespoons real honey
      Finish filling the bottle or jar with clean, filtered water and shake it up well to dissolve the honey then let it sit while the cucumber steeps.
      In the morning get a pint glass and fill half full with cucumber water, shake up the honey ginger mix and finish filling up your glass. Refreshes, hydrates, nourishes and acts as one of the best anti-inflammatories in the world.
      Garlic or 'Russian Penicillin'
      Garlic is your best friend, along with turmeric, ginger and cayenne. All are the most effective and bio-available internal anti-inflammatories you can take, along with Virgin Coconut Oil. Garlic above all, though. Garlic is a gift from God.
      I have had a grumbling wisdom tooth for decades. It flares up every three or four years—two nights ago it came alive again. I took a garlic clove, crushed it with the flat side of a cleaver and peeled it (my dad used to say, "Look at that garlic shed its clothes like head cheerleader on prom night.") 
      I popped the clove in my mouth, pushed it into place with my tongue, then paced the floor for ten minutes while it burned. I spat it out and in thirty seconds I felt no more pain. I brushed my teeth and went to bed. Woke up and all pain and swelling were gone. That is the power of garlic.
      My mouth tasted like a large bird had pooped in it but it was worth it.
      Oil of Oregano
      Must be treated as a corrosive which could blind you. That said... it kills everything bad. Take a rag, pour a line of vodka down the centre, then sprinkle the line with ten drops of oil of oregano. Wipe down whatever you like, it will kill anything on contact and is excellent at sterilising anything you do not want to use chlorine bleach on, such as children's cots, bedding and toys, books, post and parcels, hands, feet, door handles and steering wheels. Keep away from cats, dogs and birds, fine wood furniture and delicate membranes. Use sparingly, it is that powerful.
      For all other uses, dilute with Castor Oil.
      Two Remedies In Extremis
      Cayenne+Water: a scant quarter teaspoon in 8oz of water. Depending upon the Scoville rating, either more or less water, as you please. I have personally witnessed two people brought back to full functionality after suffering heart attacks from the timely application of cayenne+water, sipped until the spasms eased and the ambulance arrived. Once tested, they showed minimal signs of heart muscle scarring and made a complete recovery within weeks. Cayenne feeds the heart and scours the arteries of fatty deposits over time.
      Cayenne also delivers an immediately bio-available max-dose of Vitamin C, as well as the alkanoid compound capsaicin. They are also amongst the richest vegetable sources of Vitamin A and antioxidant flavonoids such as carotenes, lutein, zea xanthin and cryptoxanthin.
      Cayenne is also rich in minerals: even if consumed in small quantities every day in water or fruit juice, it provides sufficient levels of iron, copper, zinc, potassium, manganese, magnesium and selenium—the manganese in particular acts as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme superoxide dismutase. The selenium is an antioxidant trace element required by the human body for smooth heart and liver functions and is responsible for the miraculous calming of heart muscle in spasm. It is also rich in potassium, a master soother of any muscle cramp.
      A quarter teaspoon of Cayenne powder is nature's vitamin pill.

Mustard Plaster: 1 teaspoon dried mustard (Coleman's is great and very patriotic) two teaspoons flour, enough water to make a paste. First, cover the chest with cold-pressed Castor Oil to prevent burning the skin, then spread the plaster paste over the patient's chest in the area of the lungs. Cover the plaster with a rubbish bag, then place either a direct heating pad or a hot water bottle on top. People who are drowning in their own fluids tend to thrash around in their panic to draw a good breath, so either tie them down or have other people attend to calm them.
      I have brought four people around with this remedy, two children suffering from croup, one adult in the throes of extreme asthmatic seizure and one elder with pre-pneumonic edema. In the case of the asthmatic all catastrophic symptoms were lessened in fewer than five minutes and all signs abated within half an hour, whence they could breathe deeply and easily once more. 
      Within twenty minutes, the other three brought up more lung gunk in several productive coughs than I had ever seen or suspected a human could carry. The volume was so great that it appeared more like they were vomiting. I had never seen anything like it. It was remarkable.
      Afterward, when they were calm, I put them over a steaming bowl with a drop or two of castor oil floated on the surface of the water, cautiously inhaling with their eyes closed to knock out further infection. The next day after restful sleep I repeated the plaster application to break up and expel up any remaining mucus. There was none, the first application brought it all up in one go.
      Aspirin is first cousin to White Willow Bark and is one of the rare cases of the compound being superior to the raw and natural bark because Aspirin is buffered to avoid stomach upset. It is indicated when the fever poses more of a danger than the illness the fever is battling. Danger signs include glassy eyes, incoherence, extreme heat coming off all parts of the body.
      Full of Sound and Fury, Signifying Trillions in Profit
      By the time a doctor racks up the debts incurred by four years of university and a further four to six of medical school and internship to be licensed to practise, they are invested for life in the narrative they have bought and paid for and suffered to attain accreditation in. Subsequently, they find it near-impossible to admit that The Medical Machine which now employs them may be flawed or in error or—Heaven forbid—run purely for profit. The Machine disallows doctors to speak out on an ever-lengthening list of non-corporately-endorsed matters, and Doctors comply lest they are reported and struck off and lose years of life effort. These days, it's a perilous employment.
      General practitioners do not heal anything, they only prescribe palliatives from an ever-growing product list of compound medicines designed, distributed and advertised by giant pharmaceutical companies more interested in their shareholders than in you, the suffering consumer.
      What surgeons do on the other hand, and do very well, is nothing short of miraculous. When it comes to digging out a bullet, stitching a knife wound, setting a broken bone and performing emergency surgery—all under the true gift of our age, general anaesthesia, modern medicine shines. I am filled with gratitude for the work they do.
      Between prescribed drugs and major surgery there is tremendous scope for the self-reliant to heal themselves and prevent future illness. All it requires is the will and determination to take the parts of modern medicine that serve you and discard the rest.
      The general rule is GPs do not heal you. Only you can heal you. The rest is mechanics doing what mechanics do.
      . . .
      People think Trump Derangement Syndrome is bad but it's not a patch on the reactions I have seen from some at the mention of Homeopathy. Since the Enlightenment, science has resolutely turned its face towards chemistry and what was to become the modern corporate laboratory, to our loss. For what it's worth, the 'elite'—including the royals of Britain—never gave up on the old ways and retain the services of a team of homeopaths. We, the plebians, are stuck pretty much with chemistry rather than alchemy, having witnessed a lifetime of media ridicule and sneering by corporate general practitioner drones. It's up to us alone then to rediscover that
      Pharmaceutical drugs are about chemistry. Homeopathy is about physics.
      We are many bodies: the physical, the electro-magnetic, the etheric, the subtle, the mind. Drugs are a macro-intrusion on the physical body, a hammer. Homeopathy is a precision instrument that addresses them all in concert.
      I recommend the following two remedies: Hepar Sulph and Arnica. If you have those two on hand you have nearly all. Hepar Sulph is the 'antibiotic' of Homeopathy. Arnica is the number one go-to for any shock, accident or sudden onset illness. Arnica provides a rocket boost to the inherent healing capacity of the body. Hepar Sulph works on a longer, deeper timeline.
      Homeopathic remedies require special storage and handling: Dark, cool and as far away from electro-magnetic fields and frequencies, and volatile oils as possible. When dispensing, do not touch the pillules, rather,  tip them in the lid of the container and then tip them into your mouth or the mouth of the patient where they can be shifted under the tongue for sublingual absorption. Then replace the lid. You may also purchase remedies in special dispensers designed to release one or two pills at a time.
      Mine are ordered directly from
      https://www.helios.co.uk/
      The fourteen gram bottles of number 6 pills at 30C strength normally clocks in at one-third the cost of high street pharmacy stock and you have the peace of mind knowing they are dispensed with care and right attitude and scrupulous attention to detail.
      Meditation:
      If you watch tv, if you attended taxpayer-funded school, if you once had faith in your government and major media, then it’s guaranteed your mind has been chopped up, stamped on and re-formed like a chicken nugget. Finding deliverance and freedom from that level of mindfuckery is entirely up to you. This is when you would be well-advised to start thinking like a sculptor and begin to chip away the parts that no longer serve you.
      The practice of meditation exposes and discards every ingrained thought form imposed upon you by your mother, the military, the media, the monastery... every human or institution bent on making you think a certain way has done so for one reason: to compel you to quickly and efficiently do their will and not yours. Taking a daily deliberate interval of meditation develops your skill at pressing the pause button on the bullshit barrage of life.
      In the west, the practice of meditation has endured massive amounts of subtle and not-so-subtle ridicule … why?
      Because it’s bad for business.
      Close the curtains and dim the room. Kill the phone. Minimise any electrical fields and high-frequency buzzing noises by turning off your computer and television. Don’t skimp—no matter how long your rope is, you’re not actually sailing if you’re still tied to the dock.
      Volumes have been written about meditation, and down through the centuries many teachers would have you believe it takes a lifetime to achieve mastery, but every version boils down to this:
      for a space of time you will aim to allow the same state of physical relaxation you achieve naturally every time you go to sleep, yet maintain total awareness throughout.
      That’s it. Just find somewhere comfortable, lie down, breathe regularly, relax completely and stay awake. That is meditation.
      Prayer:
      The best one I know for beginners is this:
      Help. Thanks. Wow.
      About me:
      I was raised and educated in the Trivium to age ten and the Quadrivium to age fifteen. I number amongst my relatives three generations of chiropractors, herbalists, reflexologists, nutritionists, homeopaths and one or two open-minded licensed medical doctors. You pick up a thing or two from decades of dinner table conversation.
      I am responsible for the fourth gathering in four centuries of a respected Tudor/Jacobean Herbal. It is one of the proudest achievements of my life. Plus, sales keeps the lights on around here. Though I am a passionate Spagyricist, math is not my strong suit. Nevertheless, my tinctures, distillations and fermentations are still more effective than commercially-produced products.
      I believe The Creator has placed within this earthly realm every answer to health that we could ever need, unbent by corporate greed, natural and good. Short of surgery, it is up to us to break free from needing any doctor to 'fix us' and instead, seek to discover these answers ourselves.
      And while you are waiting for the apocalypse, I love this guy:
      https://www.youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson
      Take a look at that fried chicken.
      Shopping:
      Carrier Oils:
      Cold-pressed Castor oil
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Naissance-Castor-Oil-100ml-to-5-Litres-Natural-Vegan-No-GMO-DIY-Skincare/272314796963
      Virgin Coconut Oil
      https://www.realfoodsource.com/product/organic-extra-virgin-cold-pressed-coconut-oil-2-5-litre-tubs/
      Volatile Oil:
      Oil of Oregano
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oregano-Essential-Oil-Pure-Natural-Aromatherapy-Origanum-Vulgare/352516222033
      Volatile Powders
      Mustard
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mustard-Powder-100g-SALE-Chilli-Wizards/183369383291
      Cayenne Pepper
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Organic-Cayenne-Pepper-Certified-Organic/262417019809
      Ginger
      https://www.realfoodsource.com/product/organic-ground-ginger-250g/
      Turmeric
      https://www.realfoodsource.com/product/organic-turmeric-powder-250g/
      Miraculous Things:
      Garlic, the best, the brightest, the purplest, the bulgiest, the ones that make your hands buzz with its life force
      Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Cider-Vinegar-25-litre-Organic-unpasteurised-with-The-Mother/272284813551
      Homeopathy
      https://www.helios.co.uk/
      Clear spirits, highest proof you can get. In America you canbuy Everclear, 95%. I miss that. So useful.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_(alcohol)
      Thanks for listening.