DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Why do some roundabouts have lanes and some don't

Funn3r

Question

Lots round here, two-lane road meets roundabout and no white lines on roundabout.

What's the driving etiquette? Are you supposed to pretend the lanes still exist and keep to them? Or is it just a single lane until you get to the exit. I treat them as the latter but people get funny about it. 

8 answers to this question

Are you sure they're not just unfinished/new roundabouts? I can't see why they'd not paint lines in, do you have an example on Streetview?

There’s a gyratory system where I live, Brentwood J28 M25, where the right lanes are clearly marked to the extent that if you go round for two exits or more you will have passed double figures of road markings and roadside signs telling you what lane to be in. Yet the majority of drivers still choose the wrong lanes, sometime being two over. Then get uppity about it. Grinds my teeth. If your that fucking blind you shouldn’t be driving. 

Austin Allegro

What annoys me are those large roundabouts where the destination is painted on the lane, ie, 'M4 Westbound' so you take that lane. Then lo and behold at some point on the massive roundabout you notice the lane is now painted with 'M4 Eastbound' or 'A307 Bracknell' or some such and you have to change lanes. For some reason, changing lanes on a roundabout even if you indicate and have plenty of room seems to make some drivers go mental and you get horn-rage and gestures etc.

I've also been bibbed for driving all the way round a roundabout. I'm convinced some people think this is illegal.

On 29/01/2020 at 12:43, Roger_Mellie said:

Well... the rules should be simple. Left hand lane to turn left or go straight on, right hand lane to turn right. Nothing boils my piss more than coming up to a roundabout I don't know, in the left lane because I want to go straight on, only to find the left lane is left turn only. Should go in the 'trivial things' thread really.

Or, and I have only noticed this over the last ten years, people not knowing the rule.

I am regularly seeing people, a mslal minority but they are there, selecting the right hand lane to go straight ahead and was even once tooted at for going straight ahead from the left hand lane.

I begin to wonder if the new driving test has so much unnecessary detail in it that people are failing to remember the basics.

Ah, Reading roundabout.  Annoying.  Idiot designer.  No-one has the time on a roundabout to take all that in.  Dangerous.

But at least not the magic roundabout in Swindon for which I have the T-shirt.  They say the only magical thing about that one is getting through it!

Too many signs these days changing the Highway Code rules.  Rules which I thought said the left lane on a two (not three) lane entry was for right and optionally straight on.

The other big peeve is people not indicating correctly.  Like leaving the RHS on when exiting.

On 18/01/2020 at 21:20, The XYY Man said:

People get "funny" about it because they can't drive. The rules are very simple. But most people are very very very simple...

XYY

Well... the rules should be simple. Left hand lane to turn left or go straight on, right hand lane to turn right. Nothing boils my piss more than coming up to a roundabout I don't know, in the left lane because I want to go straight on, only to find the left lane is left turn only. Should go in the 'trivial things' thread really.

There's a roundabout I drive round a lot, and it's three lanes going into it, with the choice of left, straight on, or right.

So many times folk take a racing line from the middle lane to go straight on, and I'm in the right lane... People are thick as fuck, and shite at driving.

Does my nut in. 

Archived