• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thombleached

Building a new rig

Having built my own PCs in the past I thought I'd embark on the journey once more. 

Seems that the cost benefit doesn't exist anymore but that's not why I'm doing it. I wanted my son (11) to understand how things work and why. Also, how to fix things if they break. 

We started last Feb '16 with a case for his birthday and Christmas '16 I bought him a mobo and a PSU. 

He got a good amount of money from relatives (I told all relatives just to give him cash so he can save for parts). So we're now at the point where he can buy a CPU. We're after a skylake i7 and eventually a GeForce 1080. 

My question is, based on the depreciation of components, what is best to be bought now and what should be bought right at the last minute?

i.e does ram hold its value better and might as well be bought now or should I get the cpu now that it's  come down to c£300 ?

Ram more of a commodity item so would think that it would tend to hand more of a steady value. Have you got it up and running yet with cheaper/free components? Car boots can throw up some real bargains for scavenging if you know what you are looking for.

A whole other learning experience there on haggling!

I did think of filling it with dross just to get it up and running but I think the sticking point will be the CPU. Pretty sure the mobo will only take a skylake, and that's probably 40% of the total outlay. The mobos definitely working as is the psu. It won't boot without a cpu but I can dummy the psu into powering on and the power light to the mobo is on. 

So so ill buy ram now? How about a HDD?

6 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

I did think of filling it with dross just to get it up and running but I think the sticking point will be the CPU. Pretty sure the mobo will only take a skylake, and that's probably 40% of the total outlay. The mobos definitely working as is the psu. It won't boot without a cpu but I can dummy the psu into powering on and the power light to the mobo is on. 

Yes, you'll need to get the CPU as board dedicated, maybe pick up some really cheap min spec RAM second hand. HDD - get should be able to pick up a cheap or free one - ask friends/work - have a play around, install linux (mint is good), even get a USB stick and run bootable Linux if you can't get a HDD in the interim, also first cheap s/h video if mono does not have any integrated graphics.

Also look at Raspberry PI and arduino - they are great for kids to play around on.

9 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

Have a look at one of those m.2 mini SSD's that sit on the mother board. Very fast, but a bit pricey per GB. Then have a mechanical drive for the long term storage files.

1 minute ago, Oskar said:

Have a look at one of those m.2 mini SSD's that sit on the mother board. Very fast, but a bit pricey per GB. Then have a mechanical drive for the long term storage files.

Yes, that is a good solution for longer term peak performance - OS installed on SSD. You can pick up dirt cheap laptops and transform them adding an SSD as long as there is a half decent amount of RAM on them. One of the best upgrades going.

Pretty sure the mobo is back compatible with ram, but skylake needs ddr3 right? (Or whatever the latests type is). 

Maybe I'll get cpu/RAM/USB stick just to get it going - you're right mobo has on board graphics just to get it booted. - the cost of a GeForce. 1080 is truly frightening. We'll see later in the year if we get a 1080 or a 1070

3 minutes ago, Oskar said:

Sit on the mobo? Are they still SATA?

4 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

Pretty sure the mobo is back compatible with ram, but skylake needs ddr3 right? (Or whatever the latests type is). 

Maybe I'll get cpu/RAM/USB stick just to get it going - you're right mobo has on board graphics just to get it booted. - the cost of a GeForce. 1080 is truly frightening. We'll see later in the year if we get a 1080 or a 1070

The m.2 look a bit like a memory dimm, they slot right into the motherboard so no cables at all, if your board lacks a slot you can get a PCIe card for them for about £20. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2

I went for a 1070 on the graphics, like you I balked at the cost of the 1080.

7 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

Should have a dedicated connector on the mobo - msata socket.

3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Why don't you get a ZX81, and run an OFF TOPIC wesbsite, full of adverts for things you don't want?

Judging by the difference in speed between this and HPC I'd say Fubra already have that covered 😋

12 minutes ago, Oskar said:

The m.2 look a bit like a memory dimm, they slot right into the motherboard so no cables at all, if your board lacks a slot you can get a PCIe card for them for about £20. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2

I went for a 1070 on the graphics, like you I balked at the cost of the 1080.

I know. Looks like another 300 notes in difference right?  I've got the option to bridge two 1070s should they come down in price to make that worthwhile. Don't known if that would be any better than just one 1080 - or whether my son would even notice the difference in FPS

If you are after a top notch monitor later on have a look at youtube channel L1techs - they often import 4K monitors from korea, review them and look for best deals - presume your eventual goal is best gaming rig for budget and screen characteristics will make a big difference.

3 minutes ago, onlyme said:

If you are after a top notch monitor later on have a look at youtube channel L1techs - they often import 4K monitors from korea, review them and look for best deals - presume your eventual goal is best gaming rig for budget and screen characteristics will make a big difference.

Exactly. I was wondering what to do about monitors so cheers for tip. What's the smallest screen size for 4K? 

I think they recommend 39/40inch generally - although believe they go down to around 32 inch, Icons in native res get very small on smaller screen sizes,  a struggle for ageing eyes. Also a lot tend to be wide screens - good for gaming experience as filling peripheral vision.

From my experience, pc components tend to be a bit of a crap shoot. I've found (ironically) that often band-new spec memory tends to be cheaper than older memory, like DDR4 vs DDR3. Conversely, other components like cpus and gpus tend to fall off a cliff once they aren't leading edge.

Personally, I think the 1080 is massively expensive for what it is and a 1060 or an RX480 will give you about 2/3rds the performance for about 40% of the cost. 

I'm assuming that you're looking to build a gaming/vr pc. In the past, I've build gaming rigs with fairly crap cpus and ok-ish gpus, like intel g3220 and HD7780s and used ebay for a lot of cheap old components.

If you fancy mixing things up a bit, this guy is quite good

https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomGaminginHD