• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Frank Hovis

£50k to leave the country - wouldja?

Karen Matthews is a weapons grade moron. Any lump sum given to someone like her would be pissed up the wall in very short order, you'd be better off setting it on fire.

Would I leave for 50k in her situation? Probably. It's the only chance of her anonymously starting from scratch with a few quid behind her.

Chances of success? Somewhere south of 0.0000000000000000001%

5 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

"You're now 49, you've never had a job, you live on your own having had a short marriage. And you've got a problem, a problem that needs to be dealt with."

"He's effectively lost the life as he knew it."

😳

0_FSR_MGA_161013arton_01.jpg 0_FSR_MGA_161013arton_01.jpg

That judge looks like ronnie pickering

52 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

50k would last someone like her a couple of months. Probably go out and buy a porsche. Realize she has no driving licence, then spend the rest on taxis, televisions and takeaways.

£50k is an umimaginable amount of money for most people.

The denizens of this forum are incredibly financially sophisticated when compared to the general populace. That doesn't mean wealthy; it means financially aware.

If you were offered £50k for something you'd start looking at yield, NPV and preservation of capital.

We are the minority.

For most people £50k in one go is

giphy.gif

That article was horrendous, no idea how people read that stuff every day. Some fellow unemployed scrote probably wrote the note on the back of a B&M receipt and a local drunk probably heard (on the grapevine of course) that her head was turned by it. 

As for what to do with £50k to leave the country...I'd probably need at least 10 times that with my need for security. With £50,000 I'd be fretting over every penny from minute 1. I'd want to buy a place and never have to work again (unless I wanted to). If I couldn't guarantee that I may as well stay here and slog it out in the rat race where at least everyone speaks English (well in this part of town anyway).

I accept for most of these types though they see £50k as millions and coupled with the fact they can;t budget would end up skint and back in the country within a year or so. 

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

£50k is an umimaginable amount of money for most people.

The denizens of this forum are incredibly financially sophisticated when compared to the general populace. That doesn't mean wealthy; it means financially aware.

If you were offered £50k for something you'd start looking at yield, NPV and preservation of capital.

We are the minority.

For most people £50k in one go is

giphy.gif

I have roughly 50k of musical instruments/gear.

You could definitely say I have 'blown' most of it.

2 minutes ago, maynardgravy said:

I have roughly 50k of musical instruments/gear.

You could definitely say I have 'blown' most of it.

Let me have a go! I only like things with reeds really.

I've probably got more in guitars than I have in the bank.

Edited by MrPin

6 minutes ago, maynardgravy said:

reeds are for puffs

Fuck off you brass bell end. I like me Sax.

Have a go. It's quite good really. It's a tenor, so it's all in trumpet notes, just to piss off guitaristas, of which I am one.

Edited by MrPin

9 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

This has cropped up in the most recent of The Sun's hounding of Karen Matthews stories. I don't see why they keep hounding her for being nothing other than a greedy amoral liar; it's not like she killed or even assaulted anyone. But I digress.

She has now been offered £50k to leave the country; it appears to be genuine and from a local who wants her out of their town.

If you were in a similar position - skint, jobless, aged about fifty - would you take it up and where would you go?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10772215/donor-offers-karen-matthews-50k-leave-britain/

Yes. A cave in a Scotland isle.

Edited by Charles Carter

14 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

That article was horrendous, no idea how people read that stuff every day. Some fellow unemployed scrote probably wrote the note on the back of a B&M receipt and a local drunk probably heard (on the grapevine of course) that her head was turned by it. 

As for what to do with £50k to leave the country...I'd probably need at least 10 times that with my need for security. With £50,000 I'd be fretting over every penny from minute 1. I'd want to buy a place and never have to work again (unless I wanted to). If I couldn't guarantee that I may as well stay here and slog it out in the rat race where at least everyone speaks English (well in this part of town anyway).

I accept for most of these types though they see £50k as millions and coupled with the fact they can;t budget would end up skint and back in the country within a year or so. 

I have a good friend,has a good job for the NE about £38k a year,his wife earns £30k.He still owes £80k on a mortgage at 50 years old on a £100k house.He said he was retiring between 55 and 60.I said oh good,do you both have good pensions etc.He has £70k in his,his wife £10k.I said oh,how much income are you wanting between you a month.He said £2k once mortgage gone.So i said oh so you need to pay off £80k on mortgage and save an extra £400k in 5 to 10 years.He looked at me funny and said mortgage to pay off and another £20k plus whatever work added in.

People simply dont understand how much you need to  create an income.For people who like to spend a lot and have no idea how to be frugal its not even an option.

For some reason there's a constant theme in the UK press/media of 'everyone can just go where they like' which isn't ever really challenged.  I think this is because the UK immigration service believes it and we can see the consequences*.  I don't think many other countries believe it.

[* not all bad, but certainly not all good]

I've often thought that giving the young and feckless a grand (well, in 1980s money, probably 10 grand now) to spend a year travelling would be money well spent. For many countries you can purchase citizenship for a few hundred grand. Paying people to emigrate seems like a rational corollary.

15 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

As for what to do with £50k to leave the country...I'd probably need at least 10 times that with my need for security.

I have always thought that a round million would be enough to drop of of working, and paying taxes. Of course you would have to avoid spending on. New house and stupid cars, but easily do_able.

1 minute ago, Hail the Tripod said:

No one knows what he wears under his helmet.

This is where the films went wrong. Maybe Carl knows?

Judge Dredzensteinowic.

Edited by MrPin

On 19/01/2020 at 15:21, spygirl said:

Im rapidly approaching 30 years in ft, continious employment. Despite finishing HE at 23.

Getting bummed and sucking gadgies off for bottles of White Lightning in Middlesbrough bus station does not count as employment...

XYY