• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Long time lurking

Countdown to Brexit thread

Every day you see one side say we will do this or that then the next day the other side comes back with a then will will do this in retaliation 

It`s like the longest my dad is bigger than yours argument withe a bit of good cop bad cop thrown in by the EU for good measure 

Noe the less it`s going to be interesting to see how much water these threats hold when push comes to shove 

My starter for ten

Then we have the it`s that secret  it`s on twitter plans

Edited by Long time lurking

There’s a lot of deliberate posturing going on..  very different compared to under May.

It soft diplomacy was completely wasted on Brussels..  shotgun diplomacy has worked much better,   hence we are now entering trade talks with the US before even speaking to the EU.  The point being to undermine any threats of “you’re fucked without us” by being able to pull out a document in their faces saying “the Americans already said fuck you”.

It’s a shame it has come to that..  but this has turned into a proper professional negotiation now.

39 minutes ago, Libspero said:

There’s a lot of deliberate posturing going on..  very different compared to under May.

It soft diplomacy was completely wasted on Brussels..  shotgun diplomacy has worked much better,   hence we are now entering trade talks with the US before even speaking to the EU.  The point being to undermine any threats of “you’re fucked without us” by being able to pull out a document in their faces saying “the Americans already said fuck you”.

It’s a shame it has come to that..  but this has turned into a proper professional negotiation now.

May was clearly way way out of her depth. Generally with negotiating you never give away your bottom line (I couldn't go lower than 150) and you start with your most extreme position (There is no way I could offer you more than 50K for x,y, z reasons). This the govt now seems to be doing. It is interesting that "remoaners" who pride themselves as being intellectually astute don't even understand this - something which your average knuckle dragging neanderthal is already well versed in "50 sovs, yerhavingalaff , give yer 20 mate".

You have to be careful about pushing things way to far though as Barnier did - a lot of French are very unhappy with his extreme stance (whaddafuck, no Erasmus for French kids next year in the UK, how is that in EU interests?).

Edited by Dave Bloke

16 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

May was clearly way way out of her depth. Generally with negotiating you never give away your bottom line (I couldn't go lower than 150) and you start with your most extreme position (There is no way I could offer you more than 50K for x,y, z reasons). This the govt now seems to be doing. It is interesting that "remoaners" who pride themselves as being intellectually astute don't even understand this - something which your average knuckle dragging neanderthal is already well versed in "50 sovs, yerhavingalaff , give yer 20 mate".

You have to be careful about pushing things way to far though as Barnier did - a lot of French are very unhappy with his extreme stance (whaddafuck, no Erasmus for French kids next year in the UK, how is that in EU interests?).

They just have to be very vocal and very public about it all. 

We - the UK - wish to continue with these agreements as it will benefit us and the EU and why would we change it ? 

Chuck it out there. If the EU decline - which they will - it shows just how self obsessed they are.

1 hour ago, Long time lurking said:

Every day you see one side say we will do this or that then the next day the other side comes back with a then will will do this in retaliation 

It`s like the longest my dad is bigger than yours argument withe a bit of good cop bad cop thrown in by the EU for good measure 

Noe the less it`s going to be interesting to see how much water these threats hold when push comes to shove 

My starter for ten

Then we have the it`s that secret  it`s on twitter plans

image.jpeg.23bcfb18b77e2eea85eddfa8a914a1f2.jpeg

58 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

The EU esp. Frsnce did shockingly well out of the UK, offering a few years to get their English improved and letting them work and support themselves. Sortof like a few year bolt on to Uni.

In the 80s, Mrs spys dad had to spend about 10k to get her English up to scratch.

UK is a massive pressure valve for fucked up continental economies and their abandonded, excluded young people.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

The EU esp. Frsnce did shockingly well out of the UK, offering a few years to get their English improved and letting them work and support themselves. Sortof like a few year bolt on to Uni.

In the 80s, Mrs spys dad had to spend about 10k to get her English up to scratch.

UK is a massive pressure valve for fucked up continental economies and their abandonded, excluded young people.

Good lord man. You've married a sambo?

Just now, MrPin said:

Good lord man. You've married a sambo?

Wog.

Or wop, if you are not Oz.

Of vourse those terms are for southern italians.

They are deemed offensive.

They are mild compared what she calls southern italians.

1 hour ago, Libspero said:

Are we though ? until it happens it`s a contender for this thread 

In think that was a rebuttal to the EU`s we will stop access to our financial markets if they  don`t get access to our waters which was a rebuttal to us saying.....you see the theme 

At this point it`s all filed under i`ll believe it  when i see it but as you say it`s a step in the right direction compared to May`s approach

36 minutes ago, spunko said:

I have renamed this as the Countdown To Brexit thread as I think we need one, only 12 days to go and there's a lot of triggered folk still around. 

Including you? When Kent is part of Normandy again.

2 hours ago, Popuplights said:

What does the DOSBODS massive think are the UKs top trump cards during the negotiations?

I reckon the fishing rights is one of them.  What else?

German cars and French food/wine. If we stop buying them Germany will go into recession and France will have rioting farmers to add into their current mix of problems. There’s also access to our financial markets - the bulk of bond issuance and syndicated loads come from the City - but I can’t see any way we’d block that except as retaliation for something really dumb threatened by the EU.

3 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

German cars and French food/wine. If we stop buying them Germany will go into recession and France will have rioting farmers to add into their current mix of problems. There’s also access to our financial markets - the bulk of bond issuance and syndicated loads come from the City - but I can’t see any way we’d block that except as retaliation for something really dumb threatened by the EU.

Also energy companies, service and transportation companies -- a lot of them who have gained a foothold (or basically just bought up presence in the UK) thanks to large state monopolies in their own countries. Hundreds of now european mega corps that have bought up swathes of industry as well. Repriprocal punitive taxation and local tendering would make life somewhat interesting for them.

A lot of rules were brought in to provide a 'level paling field" for tendering. I believe the upshot of this has been to sideline local suppliers and gift the work thanks to the reams of bureaucracy to large international companies and I think this was entirely intentional.

10 hours ago, Popuplights said:

What does the DOSBODS massive think are the UKs top trump cards during the negotiations?

I reckon the fishing rights is one of them.  What else?

Yes, Britain has a mighty navy, so all the fish are ours.