• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Libspero

Universal Cure For Cancer - Finally Found?

The Cardiff team discovered a T-cell and its receptor that could find and kill a wide range of cancerous cells in the lab including lung, skin, blood, colon, breast, bone, prostate, ovarian, kidney and cervical cancer cells.

This particular T-cell receptor interacts with a molecule called MR1, which is on the surface of every cell in the human body.
It is thought MR1 is flagging the distorted metabolism going on inside a cancerous cell to the immune system. 
"We are the first to describe a T-cell that finds MR1 in cancer cells - that hasn't been done before, this is the first of its kind," research fellow Garry Dolton told the So-Called BBC

Immune discovery 'may treat all cancer' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51182451

Won't this just mean more people need more longer term care. Costing the NHS more, putting taxes up. Meaning we all need to work and pay tax for 50 years so we can sit in a shit care home losing our marbles for the next 10 before we die?

8 minutes ago, choochoo said:

Won't this just mean more people need more longer term care. Costing the NHS more, putting taxes up. Meaning we all need to work and pay tax for 50 years so we can sit in a shit care home losing our marbles for the next 10 before we die?

what will we die of? 

MND might have a cure very shortly.

8 minutes ago, choochoo said:

you'll be able to take a tablet to end it all before long, I'm not going into a care home.

16 minutes ago, choochoo said:

No.  In the near future nursing homes will be run by robots and soon after that we will merge into robots.

It'll take a good ten years for this to become widely available, assuming it works. 

Plenty time for a large chunk of the boomer cohort to shuffle off in the meantime! 

39 minutes ago, choochoo said:

I wouldn't worry, if ALL cancer was cured tomorrow it would make little difference to average UK life expectancy - adding maybe 2 years as other diseases would take up the slack - although it would eliminate a lot of individual tragedies.

What if we cured cancer?
https://publishing.rcseng.ac.uk/doi/pdf/10.1308/rcsbull.2016.190

Short of some major rejuvenation tech coming on stream, the below video is about as good as any of us could hope to achieve with extreme longevity and in truth most of us won't make it and to be honest, I'm not sure I'd fancy it.

An interesting perspective by philosopher Herbert Fingarette on being 97 years old, in as good shape as anybody could reasonably expect to be at that age and in full possession of his mental faculties, enough to contemplate and appreciate his predicament. Much as I enjoy life, I don't think I ever want to be so weak and dependent. I'm not sure I could cope with not being able to dress or take care of myself.
Herbert has since died, never having discovered the point of it all. 
"You are a little soul carrying about a corpse, as Epictetus used to say.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

From the YT comments:

"I can only imagine how consuming the loneliness at that age must be"

"It seemed that he understood the "point" for just a moment when he was watching the trees. Then the point escaped him again."

Edited by Turned Out Nice Again

1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

I really hope not.

Think of the GDP growth ticking us over that extra few years. Plus there is apparently shit loads of Africans crossing the channel's on dinghies just waiting for the opportunity to wipe the arses of the elderly. 

I'm gonna tell you fuckers one thing about cancer.

It will NOT be cured by any "charity" purporting to do so.

For once they do, they are all out of a job.

Keep giving them your money, and they will gladly trouser it...

XYY

7 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Yes. In a way.

If they do find a cure for cancer, there will need to be a serious review of euthanasia laws.

I'd say that :-

1) the euthanasia laws already need a review, very frequently when a person has cancer.

and

2) maybe if people don't die of cancer then more will get to die like this.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7905447/David-Olney-71-dies-saying-Im-sorry-lowering-head-chest.html

4 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I'd say that :-

1) the euthanasia laws already need a review, very frequently when a person has cancer.

and

2) maybe if people don't die of cancer then more will get to die like this.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7905447/David-Olney-71-dies-saying-Im-sorry-lowering-head-chest.html

If your body doesn't get you, your mind will.

Pick your poison.

It's not a cure for cancer, it's a feature within cancer that could be targeted with new drugs (which haven't been invented yet) in order to try to kill cells having that feature. Unlike alien invaders like viruses and bacteria, cancer cells are difficult to target pharmaceutically because they are made out of almost exactly the same biological stuff as the rest of your body so that leaves only a narrow window of small differences relative to healthy cells that can be targeted with drugs that will kill the cancer and not the rest of your body.

A fair number of cancer features that distinguish them from normal cells and can be targeted with drugs are already known and this new discovery may be added to the list when somebody has developed a drug and tested it in patients. One problem with cancers is that they often have a high mutation rate so only a certain percentage of the cancer cells will contain the feature that makes them susceptible to a given drug, so you take the drug and only those cells are killed off, the rest survive and expand and the cancer comes back. Everybody wants to find features that are hard for cancer cells to mutate away and maybe this new one will be one but we will only find out when one or two companies have developed drugs and run clinical trials which will take 10+ years.

2 hours ago, Darude said:

It's not a cure for cancer, it's a feature within cancer that could be targeted with new drugs (which haven't been invented yet) in order to try to kill cells having that feature.

As I understood the article,  they have discovered a way to create a white blood cell that can detect and destroy most (all?) known cancers using a known identifier MR1).

So I believe the plan is to take existing CAR-T treatment which is similar but highly selective,  and substitute this generic white blood cell which attacks anything cancerous.

If that is right,  and it works,  it sounds like it could have massive potential..  quite quickly..  like the antibiotic of the cancer world  :o

48 minutes ago, Libspero said:

As I understood the article,  they have discovered a way to create a white blood cell that can detect and destroy most (all?) known cancers using a known identifier MR1).

So I believe the plan is to take existing CAR-T treatment which is similar but highly selective,  and substitute this generic white blood cell which attacks anything cancerous.

If that is right,  and it works,  it sounds like it could have massive potential..  quite quickly..  like the antibiotic of the cancer world  :o

They found a naturally occurring white blood cell which recognises MR1 on cancer cells and showed that you could move the gene which makes it recognise MR1 onto other white blood cells to make them attack cancer cells (similar to CAR-T) which is probably how you would try to turn this into a medicine. Or you could manufacture an antibody that recognises the tumour form of MR1 and give that as an injectable protein, this would be cheaper and simpler.

With lots of cancers you find white blood cells which recognise tumour proteins e.g. tumour infiltrating lymphocytes which have been used to treat cancer for decades:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tumor-infiltrating_lymphocytes

One problem is that just having white blood cells (naturally occurring ones like TILs or artificial ones like CAR-T) which recognise tumour proteins still isn't enough to get rid of the tumour in most cases. These cells have to recognise the tumour and then actively destroy it. Tumours are very good at protecting themselves from the immune system (if they weren't then naturally occurring TILs would clear tumours more often) by sending out signals to switch off attacking white blood cells or even preventing white blood cells from getting into the tumour in the first place. Possibly these naturally occurring white blood cells which recognise MR1 would also be switched off in tumours.

Another problem is how universal this MR1 target really is. Cancers are adaptable and there may be a way they can stop producing MR1 to hide from the immune system. It may be a great target to pursue for cancer treatment, cancers don't always win the arms race and sometimes if you have a good enough target you really can clear the tumour. It would of course be fantastic for humanity if MR1 is a good target but only a clinical trial will tell you that.