DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

3M down as corona virus spreads

Loki

The stock market doesn't always work like that. The funds know what you know. So a drop is probably normal to shake out the weak hands.

We'll see if this jumps up now. Although the market is primed for a correction anyway - natural disasters can cause a stock market fall, usually after a weekend, when people analyse the news, and decide to de-risk.

Untitled.thumb.gif.846376f70b3eb54cb06c46144438dd85.gif

I have recorded on the main thread, that 50 basic masks cost less than £5. Today they command £1 to £4 each. So £1000 worth of stock might sell for £10-£40K.

This chart intrigues me. So the stock price has moved sharply down since this outbreak.

There are things to find out, like the profit margin on 3M masks, the size of the business that masks constitutes to its sales (I know 3M make other stuff), and how many other competitors there are to 3M masks.

Also where are their 3M factories - are they in the centre of Wuhan? This may also indicate that their production lines are out of action, and this stock price is warranted - so no conspiracy here.

The chart also shows the stock price moved down on significant volume, so a large number of shares have changed hands. Who sold, and why? 

There has also been a mild correction in stocks (Beta) anyway from this outbreak scare. 

What we do know is that this outbreak is on going and likely to be around for a few months, so the demand is there.

There are early reports that certain anti-virals are effective in treating patients - the next step is to look at the manufacturers of these drugs.

Untitled.thumb.gif.f3e37a6869ba757aa3c845b4a173d39d.gif

Technically, the chart is in a downtrend way before this outbreak, so it is probable that the chart will continue to downtrend so if one wants to hedge against this outbreak, it maybe better to look elsewhere. I.E the drug treatments which have a higher defensive moat around their drug patents.

No advice, do your own research.

14 hours ago, 201p said:

I have recorded on the main thread, that 50 basic masks cost less than £5. Today they command £1 to £4 each. So £1000 worth of stock might sell for £10-£40K.

This chart intrigues me. So the stock price has moved sharply down since this outbreak.

There are things to find out, like the profit margin on 3M masks, the size of the business that masks constitutes to its sales (I know 3M make other stuff), and how many other competitors there are to 3M masks.

Also where are their 3M factories - are they in the centre of Wuhan? This may also indicate that their production lines are out of action, and this stock price is warranted - so no conspiracy here.

The chart also shows the stock price moved down on significant volume, so a large number of shares have changed hands. Who sold, and why? 

There has also been a mild correction in stocks (Beta) anyway from this outbreak scare. 

What we do know is that this outbreak is on going and likely to be around for a few months, so the demand is there.

There are early reports that certain anti-virals are effective in treating patients - the next step is to look at the manufacturers of these drugs.

Untitled.thumb.gif.f3e37a6869ba757aa3c845b4a173d39d.gif

According to @DurhamBornthey’ve got a plant that manufactures the masks up in the North East.

3M are a huge conglomerate. Ultimately any global slowdown will be negative for sales of most of their products.

Democorruptcy
On 23/01/2020 at 16:11, Loki said:

Why? I'd have thought a mask manufacturer would at least bounce a bit.  

Market Cap $91bn they are huge and masks are probably a small portion.

Business summary

3M Company is a technology company. It operates through five segments. The Industrial segment serves a range of markets, such as automotive original equipment manufacturer and automotive aftermarket, appliance, paper and printing, packaging, food and beverage and construction. The Safety and Graphics segment serves a range of markets for the safety, security and productivity of people, facilities and systems. The Health Care segment serves markets that include medical clinics and hospitals, pharmaceuticals, health information systems and food manufacturing and testing. The Consumer segment serves markets that include consumer retail, office business to business, home improvement, drug and pharmacy retail, and other markets.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/3/3m-company-common-stock-usd-0.01/company-information

Their UK website https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/company-uk/?utm_medium=redirect&utm_source=vanity-url&utm_campaign=www.3m.co.uk

I understand your thinking and I had a look for a more specific mask manufacturer but didn't find one I could invest in.

This looked best but no investors section etc

https://www.vogmask.com/

• 1 month later...

Archived