DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Property on the cliff edge.

sancho panza

Face like slapped arse - check.

Crossed arm - check.

29277400-8393317-image-a-1_1591388456149

It is impossible not to feel sorry for her, despite the fact she and John knew the house sat on an eroding soft-clay cliff when they bought it for cash in August 2018 — the location too perilous for homebuyers to get a mortgage — without conducting a survey or taking out buildings insurance.

‘People who don’t know the area say, “You bought a house on the edge of a cliff and get surprised when it fell off,” ’ she says. ‘But we weren’t on the edge.’

Although theirs was the closest home to the edge on Surf Crescent — a tiny, friendly community in the village of Eastchurch — Emma says there were ‘two to three cars’ width’ between Cliffhanger and, well, the cliff.

Around 18 ft, then — not close enough to concern Emma when warning signs that something strange was afoot last Friday. 

They are fucking morons. If you cant get a mortgage or building insurance then ffs.

The grand daddy off a cliff popped up as a remember when ....

https://www.thescarboroughnews.co.uk/heritage-and-retro/retro/pictures-day-earth-moved-and-holbeck-hall-hotel-scarborough-collapsed-sea-2876171#gsc.tab=0

This was a surprise. A fair few 10m disappeared over a few days.

Long garden went, then the hotel.

I like the 'Worlds press.....' comment.

Scsbby has only 3 events have on national telly over the last 50 years - hotel going down cliff, Saville being buried, followed by Saville being dug back up.

One percent
3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Scsbby has only 3 events have on national telly over the last 50 years - hotel going down cliff, Saville being buried, followed by Saville being dug back up.

xD

After she had left for work at 5.30am, John noticed the ground underneath their home dropping and a gap emerging round the side of the building between the brickwork and foundations.

It had grown from millimetres to around 5 cm by the time Emma returned from her shift at 3pm. 

At first, she brushed off John’s concern. ‘I told him not to be silly — that it was just a bit of movement caused by the dry summer clay underneath,’ she says.

Within an hour, however, she noticed a crack had appeared in the brick paving at the front of the house, lifting it up.

They rang the Environment Agency. ‘They gave me a number to call, some sort of cliff erosion helpline, on Monday morning. I still didn’t think there was any reason to panic. I’ve never been more wrong in my life.’ 

A few hours later, they were fleeing. ‘It happened so quickly, the kids didn’t have any shoes on their feet. They were confused,’ says Emma. 

On Sunday, at around 8am, a neighbour called Emma to say the road in front of the cliff had fallen, along with Emma’s car. ‘It was horrible. I cried, my partner cried.’

"It was stupid but, to be honest I don’t think a survey a couple of years ago would have picked up that we were going to have a massive landslide anyway.’

Paying in cash was part of her plan: ‘I had equity in the Surrey house I sold and wanted to buy something outright so I didn’t have to worry about a mortgage.’

As for not taking out building insurance? ‘It was way too expensive, and wouldn’t have insured me for what had happened anyway.’

As the months passed, she took local residents’ concerns about coastal erosion on board, recently agreeing to join their Eastchurch Gap Erosion Action Group, set up in 2015 to campaign for support to stop the coast inching ever closer.

Even after the grant allowed residents to install the matting in 2016, part of a nearby cliff collapsed in January 2018.

‘I was aware there were minor slips,’ she says. ‘But nothing like this scale.’

Surely Emma must have regrets? ‘In a way, obviously,’ she says. ‘But I don’t regret the two years I’ve had there.’

As for her plans for the future, if she and John can recover financially, they would like to buy a plot of land and build their own home — with one crucial caveat.

We’d make sure we weren’t above sea level. It would be firmly on the floor.’

Theres quite a back story- divorcee from Surrey, younger tree surgeon husband... Surrey equity ... rocks up edge of Kent.

I think shes a moron. Dumb London equity bring pissed away on property follies.

Frank Hovis
36 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I think shes a moron. Dumb London equity bring pissed away on property follies.

Certainly anyone that wants to now build a house below sea level following their buying one next to a soft cliff and it falling off doesn't seem the brightest.

What particularly gets me is that she didn't move her car which was on the road seawards of her house. I can understand not wanting to get into it in case the cliff goes but open the door, release the handbrake and push it.

Green Devil
2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Certainly anyone that wants to now build a house below sea level following their buying one next to a soft cliff and it falling off doesn't seem the brightest.

What particularly gets me is that she didn't move her car which was on the road seawards of her house. I can understand not wanting to get into it in case the cliff goes but open the door, release the handbrake and push it.

The funny thing is the dumb bitch doesn't even have the land anymore! And land is 60% plus of the purchase price 😂😂

Frank Hovis
2 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

The funny thing is the dumb bitch doesn't even have the land anymore! And land is 60% plus of the purchase price 😂😂

I like what the councils do in Norfolk and Suffolk where they don't spend a fortune on sea defences, which may or may not work and if they do probably make it worse further down the coast by depriving it of sand, and instead say that where people lose their home to the see they can have planning permission to build a new one somewhere reasonable inland.

That could be quite a good wheeze if you had some prime land but couldn't get planning permission: buy a £50k house with only a few years left before taking a dip in the briney and wait for your reward.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
4 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Have you read that article, it was written by a chimp, 13 foot wide landslide and a wooden beach.

How dare you!

A cheap Chimp on day release.

Most news article are written by a 20yotrainee journalism. They are replaced as soon as they are qualified.

Apart from the regional papers, which are written by a sub editor in India. And read like that.

Frank Hovis

I don't think that I'd even be brave enough to buy a house in the row behind; they look like a thirty year rnetal until teh road goes.

The house on the far left was very lucky indeed.  This time.

0_WNS_190421_Huge_Landslide_Nefyn_12JPG.

Not want you would wish to see from your back window:

0_Landslide-onto-the-beach-at-Nefyn-in-G

49 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't think that I'd even be brave enough to buy a house in the row behind; they look like a thirty year rnetal until teh road goes.

The house on the far left was very lucky indeed.  This time.

0_WNS_190421_Huge_Landslide_Nefyn_12JPG.

Not want you would wish to see from your back window:

0_Landslide-onto-the-beach-at-Nefyn-in-G

Yep.

Fucked.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/shoreline-management-plans-smps/shoreline-management-plans-smps

EA has adopted a hold the line approach in my home village

Theyll maintain the existing protection. Anything not protected is left to the sea.

Sane, as the coat of protection far exceeds the cost of the houses.

They even helpfully put a number of the residences at risk -but dont name them.

A quick walk on the cliff edge and its obvious which places are going to go.

Not that its stopped a few idiots paying $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for a house wih a great view.

Theres one, right on the edge, sort of cliffs N and East side of the house.

Theres only a very thin 1m bit of ground between the garden and the cliff - its not a plummet, more a muddy slope for ~50m befeor plummeting.

I spoke to the person who bought it 'cheap' ages ago.

And then was trying to sell it later - the bank did say that we could not get building protection ... well duh!

They had 5 buyers who all walked when the got in touch with a bank.

Of course, some cleverer than average local Wessie have bought a house a few doors down, cash, and have spent 100k+ creating an holiday let.

I spoke to the only local builder brought in - the others were all Wessies.

Are they mad I asked?

Yes, he said.

Frank Hovis
1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Yep.

Fucked.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/shoreline-management-plans-smps/shoreline-management-plans-smps

EA has adopted a hold the line approach in my home village

Theyll maintain the existing protection. Anything not protected is left to the sea.

Sane, as the coat of protection far exceeds the cost of the houses.

They even helpfully put a number of the residences at risk -but dont name them.

A quick walk on the cliff edge and its obvious which places are going to go.

Not that its stopped a few idiots paying $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for a house wih a great view.

Theres one, right on the edge, sort of cliffs N and East side of the house.

Theres only a very thin 1m bit of ground between the garden and the cliff - its not a plummet, more a muddy slope for ~50m befeor plummeting.

I spoke to the person who bought it 'cheap' ages ago.

And then was trying to sell it later - the bank did say that we could not get building protection ... well duh!

They had 5 buyers who all walked when the got in touch with a bank.

Of course, some cleverer than average local Wessie have bought a house a few doors down, cash, and have spent 100k+ creating an holiday let.

I spoke to the only local builder brought in - the others were all Wessies.

Are they mad I asked?

Yes, he said.

I would say that cliff falls have become much more frequent over the last five years which I put down to the change in weather patterns where we are getting long dry spells which parch and separates earth and friable rocks followed by periods of very heavy rain which suddenly drench it and add massively to the weight.

I know of about four major cliff path re-routings in the last year.  There was a major fall between Loe Bar and Porthleven a few years ago which meant the whole path brought about twenty foot inland.  The east part of Porthleven is protected by a huge sea wall - this is the best photo I can find of it and it runs up to and beyond where the wave is breaking.  The short stretch of coast beyond that has regular falls and will in maybe thirty years fall back behind the line of the sea wall meaning that east Porthleven starts to become a headland and even more exposed to the big winter storms that it catches.

26312165529_0ab708eba9.jpg

Estimates of how long a house will continue to be safe have probably halved during the last ten years with the increased fequency of falls.

Chewing Grass

Have a look at the street, google has only been down it once in 2010, the level  of 'gentrification' that has gone on since is shocking.

Was the usual shitty Welsh bungalows, the giveaway is how the roofs have all been dormerised and the gardens jazzed up, on both sides of the road.

Outsiders with loads of money second homes.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9366593,-4.5264145,3a,75y,62.73h,75.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7OKzwkqsHtN_FUCT2_xPVA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Frank Hovis
18 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

I will add that the field/cliff boundary hasn't moved for over 100 years.

1565589151_Screenshotfrom2021-04-2015-31-07.thumb.jpg.13a14c124bc16307db29044b37a45a83.jpg

I was explaining to my nephew the other day why up to the last couple of centuries houses were built inland; away from storms and prevailing winds because they wanted the roof to stay on and didn't want the wind blowing through the gaps.

All you had by the sea were sheds - known as "cellars" in Cornwall - where you kept your boat and fishing gear to be used in the summer when the crops were growing and the livestock was up on the summer pasture looked after by the women and children of the village.

That map is a perfect example.

It is particularly notable where you now have a seaside town bult on cliffs rather than in a sheltered cove or natural harbour.

Bournemouth is the prime example and in Cornwall it's Newquay, again up on cliffs, which in this map from 1630 doesn't even exist.  The handful of cottages only expanded into a town with the railways and the tourist trade of the late Victorian period,

image.png.1bbb6d660eaeb54e2f752a05bb94dd4d.png

It would be seaward of "Colomb Little".  Truro is shown bottom left.

Link to map if anyone wants to see the whole thing but I haven't embedded it as it is a huge file.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-paC3jta1qJk/X6b0YxMUjTI/AAAAAAADLHM/X0wI2PVXpGE-GFdKqTLCEfT3ABsDEQwGQCLcBGAsYHQ/s1861/Speed-1611-Cornwall.jpg

People were more sensible then: no building homes on clifftops or somewhere like Sandbanks.

sleepwello'nights
19 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I was explaining to my nephew the other day why up to the last couple of centuries houses were built inland; away from storms and prevailing winds because they wanted the roof to stay on and didn't want the wind blowing through the gaps.

People were more sensible then: no building homes on clifftops or somewhere like Sandbanks.

Yes, since moving I now have a better understanding of why so many houses in the West Country are built on the lower slopes of hills. Still the open views give some compensation in the less windy times of the year. 

In my location the south side of the hill our house stands on, maybe 20 to 30 feet lower is so much less windy than ours. It was very tranqull the other week when it was windy in our garden.

Bedrag Justesen
On 21/04/2021 at 10:17, Frank Hovis said:

...or floodplains.

Archived