DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Property on the cliff edge.

sancho panza

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/dramatic-pictures-cliff-fall-coastal-erosion-095954926.html

Authorities have warned people to stay away from a section of coastline after a huge chunk of cliff collapsed into the sea.

The massive lump of red rock broke away from the cliffside in Livermead, near Torquay, Devon, prompting harbour authorities and the local council to urge people to stay away from the area.

Sharing pictures of the tonnes of rock that had fallen away, Tor Bay Harbour said people should avoid the area because it could still be unstable. A section of the coast path has also been closed off.

It’s not the only place where the landscape is changing as huge sections of cliff collapse into the sea.

Earlier this month a row of seaside caravans were left teetering on the brink of a cliff in Trimingham, near Cromer, Norfolk, after a landslide the size of two football pitches.

Dramatic pictures taken by a drone show the huge chunk of rock in the sea below (SWNS)
Dramatic pictures taken by a drone show the huge chunk of rock in the sea below (SWNS)

Livermead cliff fall - area may still be unstable and dangerous. Please avoid cliff top and below until a full survey can be completed #publicsafety #torbay #beaches #rockfall

View image on Twitter

In a tweet, the harbour authority said: “Livermead cliff fall – area may still be unstable and dangerous. Please avoid cliff top and below until a full survey can be completed.”

Pictures taken by a drone show the dramatic scene as tonnes of rock sit on the beach below the cliff.

Mirror Mirror
1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

So how far under has the cliff been eroded?

Yeah, That hotel or whatever it is, could advertise direct beach access from its cellar.

• 3 months later...

Rotten luck that they live on Sheppey, where the council decided it wasn't worth investing any money on shoring up the defences. If they lived in Sandbanks or somewhere would it be a different outcome?

To be fair though, Sheppey really is the pits. I wonder if letting the sea reclaim it would be a welcome solution.

The whole fucking Island.

16 minutes ago, spunko said:

Rotten luck that they live on Sheppey, where the council decided it wasn't worth investing any money on shoring up the defences. If they lived in Sandbanks or somewhere would it be a different outcome?

To be fair though, Sheppey really is the pits. I wonder if letting the sea reclaim it would be a welcome solution.

Nope.

EA is 'holding the line'

They wont put new defences.

Sandbanks is fucked. It's literally a bank, of sand.

Green Devil
40 minutes ago, spunko said:

I expect the local neighbourhood assoc in sandbanks could afford to build their own defences. After all most of the residents are 'well coined'. 

One percent

54 minutes ago, One percent said:

Did she not realise how near the edge of (a soft clay) cliff the  house was?  Dumb as clearly. 

I'm curious is she had a mortgage on it.

My spidey sense says No.

1 hour ago, Green Devil said:

I expect the local neighbourhood assoc in sandbanks could afford to build their own defences. After all most of the residents are 'well coined'. 

They are all brassic.

Green Devil
59 minutes ago, One percent said:

Did she not realise how near the edge of (a soft clay) cliff the  house was?  Dumb as clearly. 

Surely the address should be

Cliff Edge Road. 😂

leonardratso

daily mail said she bought it cash 2018 for £195K.

was tod there was 40 years left before it fell into the sea. barely 2 years before it toppled in.

Other 20 houses evacuated.

Whole estate obviously now worth 25 pence.

28 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

daily mail said she bought it cash 2018 for £195K.

was tod there was 40 years left before it fell into the sea. barely 2 years before it toppled in.

Other 20 houses evacuated.

Whole estate obviously now worth 25 pence.

Bullshit.

Told by whom?

Banks wont touch a leasehold with less than 100 years on it.

Ditto any house at risk of falling in the sea.

My mums house us bounded by houses that banks wont lend to.

33 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

well, if she bought it cash then its nothing to do with the bank.

Sorry, missed that.

The bullshit was on 40 years left.

Once people start talking if years left then run away.

leonardratso

yeah, you cant believe anything it prints to be honest, in another story they are cooking a warehouse full of pigs in iowa with steam, what a load of bullshit, they might be gasing the warehouse of pigs to kill them en-mass, but they certainly aint cooking them (especially not whole).

Frank Hovis

I've dealt with surveyors on quite a few properties and they always very much err on the side of caution.

Steel frame houses that were given twenty / thirty years life back in 1980 are still basically fine forty years on in 2020.

I don't believe that a surveyor wuld have said 40 years left for that clifftop site; they woudl never be that incautious.

The purchase was a straight gamble.  For £195k in 2018 a big house right by the sea with an annexe and swimming pool is an absolute bargain.

If it had lasted forty years, £5k a year effective rent, or even twenty at £10k that would have been a fantastic purchase.

NINTCHDBPICT000586310707.jpg?w=960

leonardratso

plus maybe the chance of a cheap burial at sea.

Yes, i wouldnt mind paying 5K a year for 40 years to 'rent' that, unfortunately looks like it cost her 100K/year, i doubt anyone would have insured it so probably a total loss.

Those houses in close proximity will also be total losses now until they become physical losses.

on the plus side, looks like the shed and car made it.

23 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I've dealt with surveyors on quite a few properties and they always very much err on the side of caution.

Steel frame houses that were given twenty / thirty years life back in 1980 are still basically fine forty years on in 2020.

I don't believe that a surveyor wuld have said 40 years left for that clifftop site; they woudl never be that incautious.

The purchase was a straight gamble.  For £195k in 2018 a big house right by the sea with an annexe and swimming pool is an absolute bargain.

If it had lasted forty years, £5k a year effective rent, or even twenty at £10k that would have been a fantastic purchase.

NINTCHDBPICT000586310707.jpg?w=960

29120356-8379363-image-a-42_159109596588

However 2 years, @ 90k/year rent is a bit steep.

On 31/05/2020 at 15:55, spygirl said:

Yes.

She shared her home, ironically named Cliffhanger on the Isle of Sheppey, with her partner and four of her children aged six, seven, 15 and 17.

Frank Hovis
2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

It's a gamble.  She could have been fine.

Though not a gamble that I would have made.

There doesn't look to be any further cliff fall there, look at the position of the three post white wall with tiles on teh top, but the weight of the house has dragged the whole lot over.

I wouldn't want to be sleeping in that static caravan!

49 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's a gamble.  She could have been fine.

Though not a gamble that I would have made.

There doesn't look to be any further cliff fall there, look at the position of the three post white wall with tiles on teh top, but the weight of the house has dragged the whole lot over.

I wouldn't want to be sleeping in that static caravan!

It's now a beach front property with easy access down to its own private beach*. I'd add 100k to the price and get it on the market. 

* Ropes required.

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

Damn, look at that burst water main. I'd love to have that kind of water pressure. Lucky bitch!

On 30/01/2020 at 14:25, sancho panza said:

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/dramatic-pictures-cliff-fall-coastal-erosion-095954926.html

Authorities have warned people to stay away from a section of coastline after a huge chunk of cliff collapsed into the sea.

The massive lump of red rock broke away from the cliffside in Livermead, near Torquay, Devon, prompting harbour authorities and the local council to urge people to stay away from the area.

They look expensive.. If its someone close to government that owns them the concrete trucks will be there within a week.

If its someone who is a nobody then they will be on a channel 4 tv documentary about losing everything and being homeless

Archived