• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

An annoying little git of a fly has been hanging round my living room all day today, but it made me think. I've hardly seen any this year.

Flymageddon? I'm in East Lancashire by the way. What's the latest fly news from the rest of the country?

28 minutes ago, blobloblob said:

An annoying little git of a fly has been hanging round my living room all day today, but it made me think. I've hardly seen any this year.

Flymageddon? I'm in East Lancashire by the way. What's the latest fly news from the rest of the country?

Hundreds of the buggers.

My Wheelie bin is a vast vat of a breeding ground, so many the maggots are escaping and dropping on the ground much to local bird's delights. Dur for collection Tuesday. Another crop in a fortnight.

Edited by Hopeful

I have had several slugs appearing in my kitchen at night for a few weeks now. I would go into the kitchen at night and there would be a slug on the floor. I wonder if it was the same slug that kept on coming back.

At first I was putting it outside the kitchen. Then I would stick it on the far side of the garden. In the end I took the sodding thing and threw it over the garden wall into a neighbour's garden or driveway. It has not made it back yet.

Last night I went to put my bike in the shed and when I returned there was a slug on the toe of my saddle. I lost it and threw it towards my garden wall. I heard a splat sound. In a matter of a few weeks I went from being kind to slugs to now pissed off with them.

I just opened my kitchen door to look at the rain and, right in front of me about 2 foot from my door, is a sodding slug crawling directly towards the door. I watched it for a few minutes and it was on a straight line to the door. Fecker.

It is now, courtesy of a piece of paper and a small throw, about 5 feet away.

The thing was looking at me as if to say "Yo, I've been on quite an adventure but am coming home now.".

It's been a bad year for many invertebrates. There is a real shortage of butterflies this year which is worrying since the caterpillars are an important food source for many birds. We are also well down on various bees and I've hardly seen a wasp either. On the upside, we had a moth trap in the garden a couple of weeks ago and found 51 species of moths - 112 species in total over the 10 sites we trapped. Plus we found that we have the lesser stag beetle too.

Plenty of slugs, never a shortage of those.

We get a lot of flies because of the chickens in the garden. Outside I use Red Top fly traps, which are bloody good but utterly gross when you have to dispose of them.

For indoors, last year I bought one of those ultra violet zapper things, named him Frank, and gave him a prime seat in our kitchen. He has paid for himself many times over. I used to be nice to flies, but they just take the fucking piss. No more Mr Nice Guy from me or Frank, either.

I get months in my van cab. Bloody things set the alarm off in the middle of the night. No idea where they come from.

Loads of flies in the countryside, as when I'm mowing a job out in the sticks I get swarms of the little buggers around me. It's quite uncomfortable, and they try to get up your nose. I try not to breathe through my mouth.

While reading your post it came to my mind that I haven't had many flies in the house this year. Decent weather a lot and the back door is open a lot. Usually I buy fly strips or something to deal with flies but so far this year I haven't been prompted to do so. Also I haven't found any dead flies on interior windowsills. 

@The Masked Tulip slugs are plentiful though. For the first time in 25+ years I have no runner beans because twice the slugs have eaten the young plants. They've also eaten all my peas and French bean seedlings. The peas are often eaten but I can't recall ever having all my French bean seedlings eaten. 

At dusk on nice evenings I'm taking revenge by going out and killing any slugs or snails I find in my garden. Usually I don't like killing any type of creature but they've ate all my seedlings this year instead of just a few.

I haven't noticed a lot of bees or wasps either this year.

Perhaps Monsanto, seeing as they like playing at being god, should focus on a chemical that destroys useless destructive creatures like slugs instead of essential pollinators like bees?

11 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Perhaps Monsanto, seeing as they like playing at being god, should focus on a chemical that destroys useless destructive creatures like slugs

Maybe they're holding back until after Kenneth Baker dies.

I kid you not. I just opened the kitchen door and the fecker is walking towards the door again.

I just walked across the garden, in soaking grass, and deposited it on the far side of the lawn. Next option is a fecking car trip.

6 minutes ago, eight said:

Maybe they're holding back until after Kenneth Baker dies.

Those years in the Tory party have taken its toll.

maxresdefault.jpg

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I kid you not. I just opened the kitchen door and the fecker is walking towards the door again.

I just walked across the garden, in soaking grass, and deposited it on the far side of the lawn. Next option is a fecking car trip.

You're being too nice to that slug TMT. You've given it many chances to survive!  It obviously likes you and wants to come back. I know it's harsh but I'd be tempted to say sorry.....then splatter it quickly under my boot!

3 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

You're being too nice to that slug TMT. You've given it many chances to survive!  It obviously likes you and wants to come back. I know it's harsh but I'd be tempted to say sorry.....then splatter it quickly under my boot!

I worry that Hitler started with a slug.

2 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Unless he found one in his M&S salad bowl mix? Now, let's ponder whether Hitler popped down to M&S to buy salad.

Do they have Marks and Spencer in Argentina? 

22 hours ago, NTB said:

It's been a bad year for many invertebrates. There is a real shortage of butterflies this year which is worrying since the caterpillars are an important food source for many birds. We are also well down on various bees and I've hardly seen a wasp either. On the upside, we had a moth trap in the garden a couple of weeks ago and found 51 species of moths - 112 species in total over the 10 sites we trapped. Plus we found that we have the lesser stag beetle too.

Plenty of slugs, never a shortage of those.

There's a shortage because you keep fucking trapping them.

I was sat on the couch earlier when a fat bastard of a bluebottle hummed through the door into the room.

Immediately, and in one fluid motion I lept from the sofa, grabbed my sons Power Ranger sword and cleaved the 'orrible little shit from the sky.

It's broken body bounced off the window and with a wilting buzz, died on the spot.

It would have been beautiful if I hadn't included a William Wallace war-cry at the end of it while brandishing the sword like He-Man. I woke the baby and scared the shit out of small Hartman.

I've been sent to the garden in disgrace.

11 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

There's a shortage because you keep fucking trapping them.

A reasonable conclusion but in the interests of completeness, they were all let go unharmed the next morning after identification.

10 minutes ago, NTB said:

A reasonable conclusion but in the interests of completeness, they were all let go unharmed the next morning after identification.

Overnight? Haven't you heard of have-bee-us corpus???

'"Fly papers please'? You sound like a entomological prison guard. I bet you even have a bee-keeper's uniform.