• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Green Devil

UK Housing Market Is Totally Screwed

Recommended Posts

Someone posted this on the other site, and it really got my goat.

The EA cant even be bothered to ask the vendor to clean up yet they want 1.7 million squid (this is a reduced price).

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54712816.html

And overseas (ok its not paris but look at the difference between a shithole terrace and a castle.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-41783523.html

Discuss or please post further comparisons for my mine and your entertainment!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Green Devil said:

Someone posted this on the other site, and it really got my goat.

The EA cant even be bothered to ask the vendor to clean up yet they want 1.7 million squid (this is a reduced price).

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54712816.html

And overseas (ok its not paris but look at the difference between a shithole terrace and a castle.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-41783523.html

Discuss or please post further comparisons for my mine and your entertainment!

Looks unoccupied to me. I wonder if the previous owners died and it's an estate sale? It's a shit hole either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 deadlocks, 2 night latches, various bolt locks and an intruder chain. Got to love that enrichment.

My house had a sink in each bedroom, was never an HMO though, in fact I believe it was all the rage in the 70s. Ripped them out within the first week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure it's an estate sale. It looks like it's still in the process of being cleared. It also looks like someone decided some badly fitted out of character laminate flooring would add another £100k to the value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well good news .... we have a new (recent) Housing Minister ..... his wife is a landlord. In other news, due to gross incompetence lots of newly build houses in Sheffield will need to be flattened to make way for HS2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2017 at 01:55, TheBlueCat said:

Looks unoccupied to me. I wonder if the previous owners died and it's an estate sale? It's a shit hole either way.

Looking at photo 12 it looks like they died in the 1970s

Edit 201p beat me toit

Edited by Long time lurking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Truly a shit-house that Elvis himself would've been honoured to have died upon.

Uh...huh...hhuuhhh...!!

 

XYY

Well that's where you're wrong! Being a bit of an Elvis fan, I made the pilgrimage to Graceland a few years ago and, aside from a couple of rooms (which aren't that extreme anyway) I can report that the King's house was actually very tasteful, mostly entirely unblinged and not even all that big. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

Well that's where you're wrong! Being a bit of an Elvis fan, I made the pilgrimage to Graceland a few years ago and, aside from a couple of rooms (which aren't that extreme anyway) I can report that the King's house was actually very tasteful, mostly entirely unblinged and not even all that big. 

So says an Elvis fan prepared to go to Graceland. Like asking a Haji about Mohammed*

 

* Peace be upon him if the very pleasant Islamic recruits into GCHQ are monitoring....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

So says an Elvis fan prepared to go to Graceland. Like asking a Haji about Mohammed*

 

* Peace be upon him if the very pleasant Islamic recruits into GCHQ are monitoring....

Nah, objectively it's a pretty modest house by the standards of modern rock stars. He bought it off a local doctor I think and, aside from the jungle room and a mirrored stairwell, left it more or less as it was when he found it. I was surprised to be honest, I expected some garish nightmare not a house that I'd be very happy to live in myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm seeing some nice price drops in my city. Leasehold flats seem particularly volatile.

A 1970s built 1 bedroom ex-council flat* with 108 years left on the lease in my city went on the market for £112k on 19.6.17. One month later the asking price has come down to £102k so around a  9% drop. Hopefully no one will offer and another £10k drop by late August. B|

* sounds crap but these types of places have decent sized windows, good area sizes and serveral cupboards thant new builds seem to lack. Oh, and a separate kitchen too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, UmBongo said:

I'm seeing some nice price drops in my city. Leasehold flats seem particularly volatile.

A 1970s built 1 bedroom ex-council flat* with 108 years left on the lease in my city went on the market for £112k on 19.6.17. One month later the asking price has come down to £102k so around a  9% drop. Hopefully no one will offer and another £10k drop by late August. B|

* sounds crap but these types of places have decent sized windows, good area sizes and serveral cupboards thant new builds seem to lack. Oh, and a separate kitchen too.

What about cladding?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its been said before, but I reckon that Britain has had its house price crash, but just not in Sterling terms.

The Pound is down 30% against the Euro, 40 % against the US Dollar and nearly 50% against the Australian Dollar, Singapore Dollar and CHF.

The people fell for it when Wilson devalued the Pound and fed them some old line about 'the pound in your pocket' not being worth any less amd it looks like they have fallen for it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mirror Mirror said:

Its been said before, but I reckon that Britain has had its house price crash, but just not in Sterling terms.

The Pound is down 30% against the Euro, 40 % against the US Dollar and nearly 50% against the Australian Dollar, Singapore Dollar and CHF.

The people fell for it when Wilson devalued the Pound and fed them some old line about 'the pound in your pocket' not being worth any less amd it looks like they have fallen for it again.

Wow. That is a massive fall. What is the timeframe? 

Slightly differnt issue, when I was a kid, I had a relative living in Canada. He would send Canadian dollars for birthdays. Iirc, it was Five dollars to the pound. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SNACR said:

What about cladding?

Just brick. It isn't a high rise - 3 storey building.

Funnily enough, as soon as the price of the aforementioned 1970s flat dropped to £102k, a 1960s 1 bed flat's asking price has dropped from £102k to £99,950. There are 3 other 1 br ex council flats on @ £100k listed or relisted on RM in the last 3 days.

Could this be a race to the bottom? More competition perhaps in a slow market?

If they ever drop below £70k I could be tempted to take the plunge once more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.