DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Water pump - replace?

wherebee

Question

So I bought a crappy old car as a runaround - we do less than 5000km a year going on use so far, so it doesn't need to be good.

Anyway, the water pump bangs like a whore house door some days, and silent others.  Is that an 'replace immediately' or a 'nah, wait until it breaks' kind of issue?

5 answers to this question

I wouldn't wait until it breaks, because when it does it'll throw the belt, or piss out all the coolant, or cause the engine to overheat, or some combination of the three. I've only done one water pump but it was an easy enough DIY job even though I had to unbolt the engine and drop it down on a jack to get enough clearance to get the old pump out and the new one in. A pump that's driven by the cambelt rather than the aux belt will obviously be considerably more faff.

Long time lurking
On 03/02/2020 at 03:24, wherebee said:

So I bought a crappy old car as a runaround - we do less than 5000km a year going on use so far, so it doesn't need to be good.

Anyway, the water pump bangs like a whore house door some days, and silent others.  Is that an 'replace immediately' or a 'nah, wait until it breaks' kind of issue?

What make of car would help as there are known problems with some and the consequences of carrying on driving it can be very different as a lot of cars now the water pump is driven by the cam/timing belt ,if yours is and it fails completely it`s game over for the engine

There are plenty of how too`s on youtube for most vehicles , parts are cheap

I know somebody who was doing Bangernomics of necessity before the term existed.

He only had one rule: on buying immediately book it in to have the cambelt replaced because if that breaks then his car is an immediate write-off and he's just burned £500 that he can't afford to burn.

And when you have the cam belt off it's usually very cheap to have the water pump done at the same time; the below articlae says get the fan belt done as well at the same time which makes sense.

https://www.clickmechanic.com/blog/should-i-replace-the-water-pump-at-the-same-time-as-the-timing-belt/

Archived