• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

It did feel like I was in a sci fi film when I was at my brother's and he was late coming back from shopping, his wife looked on her phone and we could see that he'd gone in somewhere else on the way back.

Unless it's required because you've got dementia and are prone to wandering off or are a prisoner out on licence then why would you be happy with being tracked in this way?

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It did feel like I was in a sci fi film when I was at my brother's and he was late coming back from shopping, his wife looked on her phone and we could see that he'd gone in somewhere else on the way back.

Unless it's required because you've got dementia and are prone to wandering off or are a prisoner out on licence then why would you be happy with being tracked in this way?

Maybe he's been a naughty boy in the past. 

I don't track my wife, nor she I. I guess I'd be justified in adding my son to "find my friends", he's 11 but I trust him. I don't check his PC or his phone for that matter. 

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

From a brief WTF moment with this myself, it would seem that that generation are happier with their mates knowing where they are at all times, than not.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

It really is getting beyond the pale, the intrusiveness of modern technology. Just think of the new ways employers will be thinking up to use this one. 

We have also though things like this and Mobil phones in general, lost the art of making plans. When I was younger, we would arrange to meet under the town clock at a certain time. It was just part of the pattern. 

The other day I was shopping with my daughter. She wandered off, as the young tend to do.  There is me, in the fecking shop phoning her to find out where in the shop she was ffs. How on earth did we manage before these bloody things. 

Anyhow, that's enough of my grumpy old woman rant. Al least for this morning. :)

Just now, Thombleached said:

I don't track my wife, nor she I. I guess I'd be justified in adding my son to "find my friends", he's 11 but I trust him. I don't check his PC or his phone for that matter. 

As far as you know...  :) :ph34r:

1 minute ago, One percent said:

It really is getting beyond the pale, the intrusiveness of modern technology. Just think of the new ways employers will be thinking up to use this one. 

We have also though things like this and Mobil phones in general, lost the art of making plans. When I was younger, we would arrange to meet under the town clock at a certain time. It was just part of the pattern. 

The other day I was shopping with my daughter. She wandered off, as the young tend to do.  There is me, in the fecking shop phoning her to find out where in the shop she was ffs. How on earth did we manage before these bloody things. 

Anyhow, that's enough of my grumpy old woman rant. Al least for this morning. :)

I think back to the millennium celebrations.

One group of friends had bought tickets to some shitty pub in our home town and bought me one without asking. 

A second group of friends wanted to go to the dirty rock club in Birmingham. I made a terrible excuse about someone being ill and went to Birmingham. 

With this technology how could I have weaved my web of lies?

(the fact that group one saw me on the train to Birmingham as they were waiting on the opposite platform is irrelevant!)

4 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

No, it's not that :D  As per the other replies they seemed totally fine with it, as though I'm the one out of step.

I do appreciate that my mobile phone company know roughly where my mobile phone is at any point; but I don't think they're interested and unless I'm driving tend not to carry it.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

No, it's not that :D  As per the other replies they seemed totally fine with it, as though I'm the one out of step.

I do appreciate that my mobile phone company know roughly where my mobile phone is at any point; but I don't think they're interested and unless I'm driving tend not to carry it.

Ah ok. 

I really don't like the idea of my wife knowing where I am all the time. I go for a long walk everyday and it's my only bit of alone time I get.

If I knew she knew where I was it would defeat the object of alone time. I guess I'm trying to afford my son the same benefit. 

14 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The uncomfortable truth that I obviously completely failed to convey in my previous post is that they are totally fine with it, and you are the one out of step.

30 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

I think back to the millennium celebrations.

One group of friends had bought tickets to some shitty pub in our home town and bought me one without asking. 

A second group of friends wanted to go to the dirty rock club in Birmingham. I made a terrible excuse about someone being ill and went to Birmingham. 

With this technology how could I have weaved my web of lies?

(the fact that group one saw me on the train to Birmingham as they were waiting on the opposite platform is irrelevant!)

Badly played there getting caught on the platform. At least you could escape without having to offer explanations. Mow, they would be able to tack you going to the loo and then await your status update on farce book. 😳

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Badly played there getting caught on the platform. At least you could escape without having to offer explanations. Mow, they would be able to tack you going to the loo and then await your status update on farce book. 😳

I told them my aunt was ill and I was getting the train with my mum (who was in another carriage). I just happened to be sitting with a group of friends en-route. 

Whilst their look of disgust whilst stood at the platform, mouths open, still haunts me.....they actually bought my story (to this day!)

2 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

I told them my aunt was ill and I was getting the train with my mum (who was in another carriage). I just happened to be sitting with a group of friends en-route. 

Whilst their look of disgust whilst stood at the platform, mouths open, still haunts me.....they actually bought my story (to this day!)

Very well played at the end there sir. Respect. xD

It was my daughter that drew my attention to this feature, she says she is always in "ghost mode"  but I do think we are bringing up a generation that don't seem that bothered by this type of surveillance.

2 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

It was my daughter that drew my attention to this feature, she says she is always in "ghost mode"  but I do think we are bringing up a generation that don't seem that bothered by this type of surveillance.

I wonder if 1984 is on the gcse curriculum?  I bet not.  It should be essential reading for everyone and all should have read it by 16. 

I wonder if 1984 is on the gcse curriculum?  I bet not.  It should be essential reading for everyone and all should have read it by 16. 

I don't think it is, my daughter did An Inspector Calls as her 20th century piece. She reads enough dystopian stuff and hears me ranting  to realise that at some point she needs to leave the planet (a girl who knows where her towel is).

Bit slow.

Ive had emails both my kuds school plus countless fb reposts.

Maybe bewspapers should be renamed oldinternet paper?

Its wank s kids dont have smartphones. Ive banned them.

3 hours ago, eight said:

The uncomfortable truth that I obviously completely failed to convey in my previous post is that they are totally fine with it, and you are the one out of step.

You're right. My eldest, 20, showed me this the other day before I'd read anything about it. He was showing me where his friends were and oddly it was nice to see where my niece was, even though she's an adult too, and that she was just at home. He did say you could restrict what others saw. 

He also showed me a feature where you can see stuff going on at events all over. If you are out and about you can film a few minutes of what's going on and upload it. I don't know if that's Instagram, snapchat, or something else. I can't keep up, neither do I want to. 

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Frank! I bought a Tom Tom. Mr Tom Tom requires you sign up for an account before the device works, and he sees my every journey. Mr Tom Tom knows I went to the skip in Portishead today. I am however permitted to switch it off.

How many switch their phone off?

I went on a rant at school at our last meeting discussing my troublesome son. I went on how it was no wonder they didn't have 1984 on the curriculum. 

It's like going in for re-education at one of their fucking meetings. 

2 hours ago, One percent said:

Actually one of the few books I read, at quite an early age.O.o

And here you are pinny posting here. :)

There's so much information, it is hard to process. But if you can find me, then I can find you. Not that I would want to, but some people have "hobbies".O.o

I accidentally activated one of those app things on my android thingy, didn't like the look of it so closed it without accepting the terms/conditions/disclaimer.

Now everytime I go somewhere firgging google is asking me to rate the place.

The things are tracking you whether you like it or not, the only way of stopping the bastard doing it is to litterally leave it in flight mode and at sometime in the future the things will be 'flight friendly' and then you won't even be able to do that!