DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

John Lewis - Never Knowingly Having Retail Experience.

Battenberg

7 hours ago, spygirl said:

John Lewis fightback: Retailer is testing virtual queues amid fears social distancing and winter weather will kill off sales

Genius!

They pick the worse thing about physical retail and add it to the online offering!

Why not get online chuggers n Roma big issue sellers?

In the same way that you add a random number generator (written in javascript) to pretend x people are interested in the item  you are looking atm adding a queue prior to entering the site generates "fake" demand to encourage purchase now rather than risk missing out by delaying purchases.

• Agree 1

Happy Renting
10 hours ago, spunko said:

It depends on the company... In this case if a company is rated 1 out of 5 when they are actively asking for reviews, they have serious issues with service that need fixing.

I tend to ignore any that have 10,000 5* reviews, etc.

Trustpilot is only rated 2 out of 10 on RatemyRatings.

But RatemyRatings is only rated 2 out of 7 on AreTheseRatingsGoodOrShite.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 3

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53954151

Waitrose has signed a deal with takeaway food company Deliveroo to give customers a fast-track service from its stores to their homes.

The supermarket says it plans to run a 12-week trial starting from 1 September.

Households will be able to choose from more than 500 Waitrose products.

The move reflects Waitrose's aim to form partnerships that make its products easily available.

"This gives us an opportunity to give our customers a taste of what the future of convenience shopping could look like for us," said James Bailey, executive director for Waitrose.”

How does the supermarkets function through Deliveroo. I need marmite and then someone brings it to me on a bike ? Or do they bring a hamper type thing?

Happy Renting
9 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53954151

Waitrose has signed a deal with takeaway food company Deliveroo to give customers a fast-track service from its stores to their homes.

The supermarket says it plans to run a 12-week trial starting from 1 September.

Households will be able to choose from more than 500 Waitrose products.

The move reflects Waitrose's aim to form partnerships that make its products easily available.

"This gives us an opportunity to give our customers a taste of what the future of convenience shopping could look like for us," said James Bailey, executive director for Waitrose.”

How does the supermarkets function through Deliveroo. I need marmite and then someone brings it to me on a bike ? Or do they bring a hamper type thing?

Fluids like Marmite are piped to your front door.

1 hour ago, Ash4781b said:

I've been musing over it.

You can sign up for a monthly fee to get as far as I can tell - unlimited deliveries. but you have to have a minimum spend and it's a limited range,

Morrisons - 20 minute delivery. Last order half three on a Sunday as they close at 4. Seems really interesting ...

Co-op. have discovered there's a coop not that far from us when I thought they'd closed them all but it's a housing estate up Broadway which is a traffic jam to go on, and currently out of action in parts I think. 25 minutes delivery.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-54178008

“Supermarket chain Waitrose is to close four of its stores with the loss of 124 jobs.

Stores in Caldicot, Monmouthshire, Ipswich and Shrewsbury in Shropshire will shut, while the Wolverhampton branch will be sold to Tesco.

The grocery chain said it had struggled to make them "profitable in the long-term" due to "challenging trading".”

Selling a presumably operating site to Tesco is interesting. Edit: needed to improve cashflow ?

Edited by Ash4781b
  • Agree 1

• 5 weeks later...

John Lewis unveils £200m profit plan

Employee-owned business will cut prices and costs and aims to become a 70% online retailer

https://www.ft.com/content/72cac67e-caaa-4391-ada9-58c1dcd717c5

UK retail chain John Lewis will introduce more budget ranges, expand online food delivery and offer new services like insurance and property letting as part of plans to make £200m of annual profit within the next two years.

Unveiling the conclusions of a strategic review that began in March, group chair Sharon White also said John Lewis would make £300m of cost cuts — three times the £100m saved by her predecessor’s overhaul announced last year.

Couse you can shaaz.

JL is made up mainly of shops, staffed by bumbling middle aged wimmin who ponder around chatting.

JL has neither the internal resources to go massively online. Neither are they attrractive to the people who do the the online stuff.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

In July, she indicated that there were significant opportunities to offer new services that reflected the company’s sense of purpose, including more financial services and even social housing.

On Friday, she added that the group would quadruple its financial services business by entering the insurance and savings markets, and that it had identified 20 sites where the group could build social housing to rent. It will submit two planning applications for sites in Greater London in early 2021. The group made £146m profit last year.

hahahahahahahahah

4 minutes ago, Bornagain said:

You don't need 7 months to perform a strategic review to conclude that you are too expensive and need a much bigger online presence.

And who on earth thinks that they should get into renting out social housing - this is about as far from its core business as it's possible to get.

The employees should be very worried as their firm is going to go bust in the foreseeable future.

the smart ones will already have been planning their escape.  that's the problem with fucking stupid chief execs - they drive out good talent and leave a pool of yes men and yes women, which makes any turnaround even tougher.

• Agree 3

7 minutes ago, wherebee said:

the smart ones will already have been planning their escape.  that's the problem with fucking stupid chief execs - they drive out good talent and leave a pool of yes men and yes women, which makes any turnaround even tougher.

Where does a a ~20+y veteran of JL go?

Noone expanding their retail presence.

The jobs in retail are now 12h shifts in a warehouse up the M1.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Where does a a ~20+y veteran of JL go?

Noone expanding their retail presence.

The jobs in retail are now 12h shifts in a warehouse up the M1.

the head office ones who know systems and how to run complex supply chains have skills (if they are good) useful in many fields.  

The shop staff, fucked.

1 minute ago, wherebee said:

the head office ones who know systems and how to run complex supply chains have skills (if they are good) useful in many fields.  

The shop staff, fucked.

The IT department were laid off/outsource a year or two ago.

JL paid well for retail. They paid shit for IT/software, so Id doubt theres much in the way of brains there.

The Generation Game
41 minutes ago, spygirl said:

In July, she indicated that there were significant opportunities to offer new services that reflected the company’s sense of purpose, including more financial services and even social housing.

On Friday, she added that the group would quadruple its financial services business by entering the insurance and savings markets, and that it had identified 20 sites where the group could build social housing to rent. It will submit two planning applications for sites in Greater London in early 2021. The group made £146m profit last year.

hahahahahahahahah

So we can expect Peter Jones social housing in the heart of Sloane Square?

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, dgul said:

That reads exactly like every 'transformation plan' I've read from the public sector.  Full of dreams based on how easy it is to do stuff in the private sector, and now we're going to do it and get some of that lovely cash! 

The difference with this one is, of course, that they're already the private sector.

Extraordinarily troubling.

Indeed.

Loads of public sector org keep their powder dry, watching the private try and fail.

Then they bring in some sort of internal market or, better, sell services to private orgs. 

Most private sector orgs are deprived of the high flying talent and skills found a typical local authority.

Rather than laying loads of 50k clerks or social workers, they can hired out for profit to the private sector.

Does not matter what - currency trading, developing high volume transactional software.

Whatever, Im sure Xy'goo from the diversity team and Sonia, standing in for Hermoine whos been off sick for 26 months, will be able to deliver.

(Channeling my inner Bedrag)

• Agree 2
  • Lol 2

7 minutes ago, dgul said:

That reads exactly like every 'transformation plan' I've read from the public sector.  Full of dreams based on how easy it is to do stuff in the private sector, and now we're going to do it and get some of that lovely cash! 

The difference with this one is, of course, that they're already the private sector.

They need to take a slection of the fat arsed wimmin who work in Waitrose, send them to get a job at Aldi.

In the unlikely event that they past selection - they wont - then see how long they last working at Aldi pace.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, dgul said:

Hey, it's easy if you have an entrepreneurial mindset and are prepared to break the traditional molds that confine and restrict us. Taking a value added strategy can make transformation changes within a organisation that has strong leadship roles with a belief in fairness, equality and environmental challenges. Reject the toxic cultures, enthusiastically embrace modern thinking to leverage and fungibly streamline corporate adoption.

Here is my transformation plan, buy 1 million widgets at £1 each, sell them at £2 each. Lambos all round....

• Lol 2

2 minutes ago, invalid said:

Hey, it's easy if you have an entrepreneurial mindset and are prepared to break the traditional molds that confine and restrict us. Taking a value added strategy can make transformation changes within a organisation that has strong leadship roles with a belief in fairness, equality and environmental challenges. Reject the toxic cultures, enthusiastically embrace modern thinking to leverage and fungibly streamline corporate adoption.

Here is my transformation plan, buy 1 million widgets at £1 each, sell them at £2 each. Lambos all round....

you fucking loser.  you forgot diversity.  the JL CEO is already DIVERSE and will bring moar DIVERSITY to this plan that nasty private sector would ever think of.  How can it fail?

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, invalid said:

When I hear some dashing idiot roll that out then I know by 'fixed mindsets' and 'traditional molds' they actually mean selling stuff at a loss.

Your plan is wrong. Its normally buy 1m £2 widgets for £5 each - they want them in a rush,. so get gouged by the supplier, then sell them for 50p, all in one quarter. Massive sales increases - 500%+

Then nothing for the next 2 years as the customers have took the oppotunity to buy v cheap widgets.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

4 minutes ago, Panther said:

If they can't get premium right then I don't think going downmarket is a great idea.

Well, yes. Decide on your amrgin, then go for it.

JL seem to be deciding on their revenue, entering unknown trading areas, then hoping their margins will magically sort themselves out.

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Well, yes. Decide on your amrgin, then go for it.

JL seem to be deciding on their revenue, entering unknown trading areas, then hoping their margins will magically sort themselves out.

Sometimes, I almost believe you are let out sometimes, under supervision.O.o

• Agree 1
  • Lol 2