DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Have You Stockpiled?

Battenberg

Have you stockpiled ?  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was incredibly anxious on Tuesday evening, after spending too much time on the Coronavirus thread, so I did another visit to the supermarket to stock up in case of an end of days scenario. This was my second shop for my pile however I’ve found myself hiding it from the children, who are young adults,  in case they think I’m bonkers and also to avoid alarm.

I confess, when I’m stuffing lentils, pasta and beans in my trolley I do think I might be going mad. When I’m looking around me at everyone going about their  business I think I may be overreacting.

I know we know that some people here have done a magnificent job of stockpiling and being prepared but what are others doing?

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Battenberg said:

I was incredibly anxious on Tuesday evening, after spending too much time on the Coronavirus thread, so I did another visit to the supermarket to stock up in case of an end of days scenario. This was my second shop for my pile however I’ve found myself hiding it from the children, who are young adults,  in case they think I’m bonkers and also to avoid alarm.

I confess, when I’m stuffing lentils, pasta and beans in my trolley I do think I might be going mad. When I’m looking around me at everyone going about their  business I think I may be overreacting.

I know we know that some people here have done a magnificent job of stockpiling and being prepared but what are others doing?

I haven't stockpiled and if I do I'll feel the same as you - won't be telling anyone what I'm doing as they'll think I've gone mental.  Most folk I know just don't care about coronavirus at the moment, I guess as the MSM haven't told them to panic.  I've loosely mentioned it to a couple of folk and they've more or less just grunted.

In short, no I haven't but I'm like a coiled spring, ready to do it if and when I feel the time is right.

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I haven't stockpiled and if I do I'll feel the same as you - won't be telling anyone what I'm doing as they'll think I've gone mental.  Most folk I know just don't care about coronavirus at the moment, I guess as the MSM haven't told them to panic.  I've loosely mentioned it to a couple of folk and they've more or less just grunted.

In short, no I haven't but I'm like a coiled spring, ready to do it if and when I feel the time is right.

I don't know if they will.  We joke about it at work.

Somebody has gone long on toilet rolls but hasn't got anywhere to keep them in her house so is driving around with her car boot full of them.

I found out I had well over thirty tins of Lidl sauasages and beans when I counted them up as welll as enough clothes washing liquid to keep me going for about two years; amongst many other things.

Though I have nothing on @Conniption's stash.

I have a go to list in my head of what I need. As soon as the panic starts, if it does, I can stock up big time very quickly i.e. within 15 mins really.

Might order a few extras of more specalist things in this weekends online shop. But if it does end up food shortages then we're probably Mad Max fucked either way.

Just now, RWJ said:

When the "time is right" to stockpile you'll find every fucker has the same idea and there will be nothing in the supermarket....

My freezer is packed full and I have about 60 cans of food. I also have rice and pasta etc. I reckon I could last a month easy and have an OK diet. I could probably push it to two months and start having a bland rice and canned soup diet. Having said that, it really depends on having electricity. Frozen food doesn't last long at room temperature. 

It's all stuff that I will use eventually (I'm cool with eating cans a few years past their sell by date). 

When I was in the Middle East I had an emergency water supply of about 30 litres. It just made me feel better having a stockpile - I'm slightly OCD about having emergency stockpiles.

Bricks & Mortar

150 masks.  Food cupboards full.

Gonna work next week on building materials, so I can still work even if the supply chain has problems.   Maybe add some surgical gloves.

Was thinking of changing my freezer and fridge, and might just operate temporarily with 2 of each.

19 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Well yes because of Brexit but I was running that down and now with Coronavirus I am building it up again.

you thought that brexit would cause any problems? seriously???

1 minute ago, RJT1979 said:

you thought that brexit would cause any problems? seriously???

I expected some minor short term issues at the ports which the media would talk up hugely resulting in panic buying.

I still do though it's delayed for a year.

I don't think that Brexit of itself will cause such problems but that the anti-Brexit sections of the media will ensure that such problems happen anyway.

I am a leaver btw.

7 minutes ago, LC1 said:

Where is the link to this infamous @Conniption stash I've heard so much about?

(and does anyone know her coordinates should it all turn a bit Mad Max and we need some Hillbilly Pimms?!)

It was awesome but I don't remember what thread. Maybe somewhere in the virus one.

5 minutes ago, LC1 said:

Where is the link to this infamous @Conniption stash I've heard so much about?

(and does anyone know her coordinates should it all turn a bit Mad Max and we need some Hillbilly Pimms?!)

https://www.dosbods.co.uk/topic/11992-pandemic-coming-wuhan-coronavirus-decjan-2020/page/150/

scroll down to the ludicrously-stitched photo. 

On page 153 is an 'interview' based on questions from @Vendetta

Ticked the first option, but stockpile wouldn't really describe it, I bought some tinned food and some rice, ibuprofen, disinfectant, and some alcohol based hand gel.

If we don't need it for Coronavirus, we will probably use it at Centre Parcs in July :)

Lightly Toasted
19 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

When I was in the Middle East I had an emergency water supply of about 30 litres. It just made me feel better having a stockpile - I'm slightly OCD about having emergency stockpiles.

I recall a while back when there was a burst water main in London, it must have caused a fairly widespread outage since all the local shops ran out of bottled water in fairly short order. My bet is that virtually nobody was planning for resiliency. Very few do, particularly in cities.

No. As had been said if things go completely shit off the fan I'm going out on a killing and looting spree, will pick up any essentials while I'm at it.

Fully Detached

Food wise I've got a base of rice, pasta, beans, etc, and I'll keep adding to it each week. But if the shit hit the fan tomorrow I would have enough to last us a few weeks by the time I've got out and shot some protein. Worst case I can go out and shoot some neighbours to raid their supplies - I don't suppose anyone else will care, especially if they were looking a bit peaky.

Democorruptcy

I haven't stockpiled but have brought forward some purchases of non perishable food and toiletries. It's partly because I've recently worked out my petrol bill for the past year and it's gone up a lot due to a change in circumstances. Having more in, will save me some shopping trips and money (petrol and impulse buys). The only extras I've bought are long life milk, milk powder and I've started making my own bread this week. 

I had a look at what I have in last night and I tried to come up with a weekly meal plan IF things did take a turn for the worst. I think I need some inspiration about what to have in.

Hail the Tripod

There is no outage of water or electricity in the cities currently locked down in China. There do seem to be food shortages emerging though. Probably a good idea to have a stash of a month or two of long life food.

I think my family of four could survive about two months on the stash I have established so far, though I think we’d be pretty sick of canned goods towards the end.

Oddly enough, my wife’s parents live in Hong Kong. She is really frustrated that they are not stockpiling food for a potential lockdown there. Yet thinks I am a bit crazy for doing so here.

Just back from Morrisons after topping up with some extras, I noticed Vitamin C 1000mg tablets are now £4 for a tube of 20 there. :o

52 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Well yes because of Brexit but I was running that down and now with Coronavirus I am building it up again.

I always have to much food in but it doesn’t hurt has it’s tinned I recently opened a tin of potatoes bought for 15p about 9 years ago

Archived