• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

Candida diet recipe suggestions

I have to follow a very specific diet for a condition called candida.

In brief: our gut contains a balance of bacteria, both healthy and unhealthy. It is normally kept in balance by the body. However this can be upset by, among other things, antibiotics. If so, it can lose control of the "bad" bacteria which can then crowd out the good resulting in a wide range of symptoms from poor digestion to brain fog. The "bad bacteria" in this case is an overgrowth of yeast.

Restoring the balance and getting rid of the yeast is a two-part cure:

- Change diet to exclude a variety of foods, most especially sugars which feed the overgrowth;
- Take probiotics (pill form) and anti-fungal treatments

It's the first one I'm having trouble with. Nothing that contains any sugar in any form not anything that has mould (e.g. nuts). Nor carbohydrate/starch.

This is compounded by the fact that I'm vegetarian.

So I can't eat:

Meat
Fish
Most nuts (surface contains mould)
Fruit, except lemon/lime/avocado (ferments in the gut)
Cheese
Rice

.. and so on. Can't have alcohol either, at least now, in any form. But it's the food I'm struggling with. This is basically like a low-carb diet.

Three days in and I'm starving hungry all the time.

I've made the coconut bread (it's OK actually) and has the eggs with kale, the stir-fries of specific vegetables etc. as well as taking a concoction of supplements.

What I really need are recipe ideas. I need to be strict with this at first so the toxins get flushed out.

Ideally I'm looking for a website where I can type in all the things I can eat (it's quite a short list) and it then produces recipe ideas with a "vegetarian" filter. Or some inspiration :)

Take a look a Dr Rhonda Patrick's videos on YouTube. Interesting stuff about gut health in general and how it's linked to all sorts of modern illness. Most of us have poor gut health from feeding yeast and the wrong type of bacteria. The message is to avoid sugar and eat lots of different vegetables. She does some vegetable smoothie recipes which might be useful to you. 

6 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Nature's Best seem to sell some of the best probiotics in the UK. Vegan as well.

https://www.naturesbest.co.uk/probiotics-digestive-aids-and-fibre-cdige_pg1/

Just live off them. Stop eating food.

Thanks - will have a look. The prices and quality of these things varies wildly.

Apparently the most powerful ones are these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CBY7MX6

However they can cause quite a few side-effects because of their potency. They're also quite expensive.

9 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

Can you have lentils/beans ?

Nuts....Could you flash fry to kill the mould?

A mix of those two plus Avocado should fill you up nicely.

Nuts are in the "Maybe" category in the diet plan I'm following. The advice is to soak them first.

I think I'm going to have to include them as I need one other food group in order not to alternate between being starving, constipated, and "through the eye of a needle" :)

6 minutes ago, This Time said:

You're going to have to eat the nuts if you don't want to live off eggs. Why can't you eat cheese?

I've eaten 15 eggs in two days ;)

I like an omelette or frittata as much as the next person but it's getting tiresome.

Not sure "why not cheese", advice is to avoid most dairy products. I suspect because it ferments in the gut? It does seem to trigger certain symptoms.

I ate some halloumi on Thursday thinking that would be OK. Ingredients just lists "milk". Sadly I suspect it was sheep's milk, to which I am highly allergic (confirmed by food allergy test), and it completely knocked me out for about 36 hours (I think I have quite a serious case of this condition). Am OK with cow's milk.

So basically a vegan diet with no alcohol or rice. Legumes, pasta, quinoa, give these a try.

(First one is rice, sorry)

1 minute ago, DTMark said:

I've eaten 15 eggs in two days ;)

I like an omelette or frittata as much as the next person but it's getting tiresome.

Not sure "why not cheese", advice is to avoid most dairy products. I suspect because it ferments in the gut? It does seem to trigger certain symptoms.

I ate some halloumi on Thursday thinking that would be OK. Ingredients just lists "milk". Sadly I suspect it was sheep's milk, to which I am highly allergic (confirmed by food allergy test), and it completely knocked me out for about 36 hours (I think I have quite a serious case of this condition). Am OK with cow's milk.

Get the cheap stuff, most Greek cheese if they are dirt cheap are made from cows milk. EG smartprice feta made in Germany is 100% cows milk.

2 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

So basically a vegan diet with no alcohol or rice. Legumes, pasta, quinoa, give these a try.

(First one is rice, sorry)

Get the cheap stuff, most Greek cheese if they are dirt cheap are made from cows milk. EG smartprice feta made in Germany is 100% cows milk.

The halloumi was from Aldi. Have had it before without issue. Pretty certain that it contained sheep's milk this time, whether the ingredients say so or not so I don't trust the label. After all, we recently found out that some beef-burgers are made from horses :) 

That squash recipe looks quite filling. For lunch yesterday I had something similar made from an aubergine with rosemary and onion. Actually really nice. But more of a "party bites" plate than a "meal".

25 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Thanks - will have a look. The prices and quality of these things varies wildly.

Apparently the most powerful ones are these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CBY7MX6

However they can cause quite a few side-effects because of their potency. They're also quite expensive.

Nuts are in the "Maybe" category in the diet plan I'm following. The advice is to soak them first.

I think I'm going to have to include them as I need one other food group in order not to alternate between being starving, constipated, and "through the eye of a needle" :)

Nut roast? God knows how you'd bind it if you can't have bread though...

pasturised cheese should be fine no? No bacteria present...

If in doubt, just live off niknaks :)

I've had to do the same diet, it sucks, I feel for you. And I was at least able to eat meat and fish.

Two life savers for me were coconut milk and sweet potato. Coconut milk is really versatile and needn't always make everything taste of bloody coconut, but the biggest reason I used it was a single can contains a shit load of calories. I found Waitrose tinned stuff was best because the ingredients are just coconut and water - the Amoy type brands usually include some other nasty stuff which you'll notice all the more for the rest of your diet being so clean.

Sweet potato is great because it's slow digesting and fills you up. I think squashes are quite good for the same reason, but I'm not overly keen.

If you're interested, I have a crib sheet detailing all the things you can eat any time, the things you can get away with occasionally, and the things you really have to avoid. I won't post it online because it was given to me by a private nutritionalist, so it wouldn't be fair, but I'll happily share it with a fellow victim if you want to pm me.

Oh, just to try to make you feel better, I genuinely noticed some beneficial effects after about 3 weeks on this diet - after 10 years of suffering.

10 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

Nut roast? God knows how you'd bind it if you can't have bread though...

The coconut bread is OK. It has a consistency that's half-way between bread and cake.

The diet I'm following comes from a specific candida programme which selects specific foods with anti-fungal properties, like turnips. FFS, I've never actually eaten turnips. And radishes. Utterly revolting.

I want to try to keep to it as closely as possible and since I'm vegetarian and can cook, the recipes aren't as far from what I normally eat as they would be for many, but frankly it's so restrictive that I'd have thought most would be struggling with it. I'm supposed to follow this diet for a month or so ending with a course of anti-fungal pills (probably Fluconazole). Then I can try reintroducing the things that used to trigger outbreaks and see if I can tolerate them. I might even be able to have a drop of vodka now and again.

In the meantime I'm wondering if Quorn will be OK. All I can do is try it and see what happens :)

Have a look at www.yummly.com

You can set up a free acccount and put in all manner of preferences. It will then recommend recipes based on what you can and can't eat.

It has tens of thousands of recipes so you should be able to find something to tempt you.

4 minutes ago, DTMark said:

The coconut bread is OK. It has a consistency that's half-way between bread and cake.

The diet I'm following comes from a specific candida programme which selects specific foods with anti-fungal properties, like turnips. FFS, I've never actually eaten turnips. And radishes. Utterly revolting.

I want to try to keep to it as closely as possible and since I'm vegetarian and can cook, the recipes aren't as far from what I normally eat as they would be for many, but frankly it's so restrictive that I'd have thought most would be struggling with it. I'm supposed to follow this diet for a month or so ending with a course of anti-fungal pills (probably Fluconazole). Then I can try reintroducing the things that used to trigger outbreaks and see if I can tolerate them. I might even be able to have a drop of vodka now and again.

In the meantime I'm wondering if Quorn will be OK. All I can do is try it and see what happens :)

Protein shakes? That should do you for one of your meals

5 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

I've had to do the same diet, it sucks, I feel for you. And I was at least able to eat meat and fish.

Two life savers for me were coconut milk and sweet potato. Coconut milk is really versatile and needn't always make everything taste of bloody coconut, but the biggest reason I used it was a single can contains a shit load of calories. I found Waitrose tinned stuff was best because the ingredients are just coconut and water - the Amoy type brands usually include some other nasty stuff which you'll notice all the more for the rest of your diet being so clean.

Sweet potato is great because it's slow digesting and fills you up. I think squashes are quite good for the same reason, but I'm not overly keen.

If you're interested, I have a crib sheet detailing all the things you can eat any time, the things you can get away with occasionally, and the things you really have to avoid. I won't post it online because it was given to me by a private nutritionalist, so it wouldn't be fair, but I'll happily share it with a fellow victim if you want to pm me.

Oh, just to try to make you feel better, I genuinely noticed some beneficial effects after about 3 weeks on this diet - after 10 years of suffering.

I do feel better already. OK, I feel slightly dizzy now and again and have outbreaks of hunger and collapses in energy (no carbohydrates). On the other hand I don't have blocked sinuses, burning eyes, headaches and a sense that my brain is operating at about 20% of normal capacity. I think I perhaps have quite a serious case of the candida condition and possibly have had this for 2 years or more. Which coincides with two courses of antibiotics taken around that time.

I actually like sweet potato which is a bonus. And asparagus. And broccoli. I shall tell partner to stop off in Waitrose on the way home.

Thanks for the offer, and it's good to know I'm not the only one who has had to do this.. I'm not actually overweight, and the objective isn't to lose weight; it isn't voluntary in that sense, I have no choice as I can't keep on having to go and lie down every three hours and feeling like I'm slightly drunk all the time.

The sheets I have are "Yes", "Maybe" and "No". So far I've been sticking with the "Yes" foods only, but I'm going to have to try some of the "Maybes".

9 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Quorn is made from mould so probably not ok, I seem to remember that you can't have mushrooms on this diet because they're a fungus.

Out of interest how were you diagnosed Mark?

I've had to have a colonoscopy recently due to suspected chron's. I also have gastritis at the moment and I can tell you, that bowel prep stuff was like drinking the devil's jizz! 

Just now, BigV said:

Out of interest how were you diagnosed Mark?

I've had to have a colonoscopy recently due to suspected chron's. I also have gastritis at the moment and I can tell you, that bowel prep stuff was like drinking the devil's jizz! 

I'd been to see NHS GPs over the last couple of years and that I have a long list of disparate symptoms was attributed to "a tendency to migraines", "depression" or possibly some type of allergy.

I went to see a private GP who carried out a stack of blood tests. There was a clue with one of the results, which indicated a response to wheat. Follow-up blood tests indicated changes in white cells possibly indicating infection in the bloodstream. I then researched this myself and the diagnosis is my own. The description and symptoms are spot-on.

It can be formally diagnosed by sending off stool samples which can be analysed (oh, to work in that lab - opening the parcels every day must be a blast) - it's relatively expensive - however the GP and I agreed that to start with I should try a special diet and see what the results are. I will have to go back to him to see if there's a prescription for the anti-fungals as each pill costs over £9 over-the-counter so if I have to have one every day that's going to be expensive. At which point medical guesswork will probably be required to be turned into medical science with a formal diagnosis.

6 minutes ago, This Time said:

Quorn is made from mould so probably not ok, I seem to remember that you can't have mushrooms on this diet because they're a fungus.

That's what I was wondering. The "Maybe" list has a list of specific mushrooms which might be OK.

Egg and sweet potato chips for lunch then..

8 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I do feel better already. OK, I feel slightly dizzy now and again and have outbreaks of hunger and collapses in energy (no carbohydrates). On the other hand I don't have blocked sinuses, burning eyes, headaches and a sense that my brain is operating at about 20% of normal capacity. I think I perhaps have quite a serious case of the candida condition and possibly have had this for 2 years or more. Which coincides with two courses of antibiotics taken around that time.

I actually like sweet potato which is a bonus. And asparagus. And broccoli. I shall tell partner to stop off in Waitrose on the way home.

Thanks for the offer, and it's good to know I'm not the only one who has had to do this.. I'm not actually overweight, and the objective isn't to lose weight; it isn't voluntary in that sense, I have no choice as I can't keep on having to go and lie down every three hours and feeling like I'm slightly drunk all the time.

The sheets I have are "Yes", "Maybe" and "No". So far I've been sticking with the "Yes" foods only, but I'm going to have to try some of the "Maybes".

Yes, I had to do it for the same reason, not to lose weight. That's why I used coconut milk because otherwise I was struggling to get anywhere near the amount of calories that I actually needed. My sinuses cleared very quickly, and my digestive system began functioning relatively normally in 2-3 weeks. Prior to that it had been so screwed that I just never felt hungry - my weight dropped to a level that the local nurse said that if I wasn't able to begin gaining weight soon they'd need to explore options to help me put some on - essentially treating me like an anorexic.

The problem is where you go once the candida diet has done its stuff, but that's something everyone needs to find their own way with. I ended up parting company with my nutritionalist because he was almost a religious zealot over the whole thing. Since then I've basically worked out a decent compromise - I don't feel as good as I did on the highly restricted diet, but I have a life, and the symptoms I do have are easily manageable.

This may be insensitive (apologies) but why are you a vegetarian? If not medically imperative, how about temporarily suspending this and getting some bacon to go with those eggs?

3 minutes ago, NTB said:

This may be insensitive (apologies) but why are you a vegetarian? If not medically imperative, how about temporarily suspending this and getting some bacon to go with those eggs?

I was considering suggesting that myself.

2 minutes ago, NTB said:

No, it's not insensitive at all.. it's odd really. When I was about 23, I was eating lamb, or trying to - very gristly - and just looked at it and connected what was on the plate with the dead creature hanging in the abattoir and at that moment decided I wasn't going to eat it any more. And I never did.

I have thought about reintroducing meat but I don't actually think I could eat it, I think it would just make me vomit - has been over 20 years now.

1 hour ago, Fully Detached said:

Yes, I had to do it for the same reason, not to lose weight. That's why I used coconut milk because otherwise I was struggling to get anywhere near the amount of calories that I actually needed. My sinuses cleared very quickly, and my digestive system began functioning relatively normally in 2-3 weeks. Prior to that it had been so screwed that I just never felt hungry - my weight dropped to a level that the local nurse said that if I wasn't able to begin gaining weight soon they'd need to explore options to help me put some on - essentially treating me like an anorexic.

The problem is where you go once the candida diet has done its stuff, but that's something everyone needs to find their own way with. I ended up parting company with my nutritionalist because he was almost a religious zealot over the whole thing. Since then I've basically worked out a decent compromise - I don't feel as good as I did on the highly restricted diet, but I have a life, and the symptoms I do have are easily manageable.

I'd noticed that my lunch hour had been creeping later and later, from about 12 to recently, about 2pm. But then once I eat I basically "become useless" and so tired that I have to go to bed. Not all the time, it will depend less on what I just ate and more on what I ate last night (that's why this has been so tricky to pin down).

I was hoping the condition wasn't "for life" while knowing that it probably is. Though as you say I can allow more freedom with it later on. Drinking, but not on a weeknight, nor when I have a big weekend planned, for example.

Did you have the anti-fungals?

2 hours ago, DTMark said:

I have to follow a very specific diet for a condition called candida.

In brief: our gut contains a balance of bacteria, both healthy and unhealthy. It is normally kept in balance by the body. However this can be upset by, among other things, antibiotics. If so, it can lose control of the "bad" bacteria which can then crowd out the good resulting in a wide range of symptoms from poor digestion to brain fog. The "bad bacteria" in this case is an overgrowth of yeast.

Restoring the balance and getting rid of the yeast is a two-part cure:

- Change diet to exclude a variety of foods, most especially sugars which feed the overgrowth;
- Take probiotics (pill form) and anti-fungal treatments

It's the first one I'm having trouble with. Nothing that contains any sugar in any form not anything that has mould (e.g. nuts). Nor carbohydrate/starch.

This is compounded by the fact that I'm vegetarian.

So I can't eat:

Meat
Fish
Most nuts (surface contains mould)
Fruit, except lemon/lime/avocado (ferments in the gut)
Cheese
Rice

.. and so on. Can't have alcohol either, at least now, in any form. But it's the food I'm struggling with. This is basically like a low-carb diet.

Three days in and I'm starving hungry all the time.

I've made the coconut bread (it's OK actually) and has the eggs with kale, the stir-fries of specific vegetables etc. as well as taking a concoction of supplements.

What I really need are recipe ideas. I need to be strict with this at first so the toxins get flushed out.

Ideally I'm looking for a website where I can type in all the things I can eat (it's quite a short list) and it then produces recipe ideas with a "vegetarian" filter. Or some inspiration :)

Is Kefir any help for your condition?

I believe it helps re-populate your gut with good bacteria.

I drink it now and again and it seems to improve my mood.

Not sure whether it's all in my head or it actually works.