• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Thombleached

I'm a bellend with a Fitbit.

Hear me out. 

I actually quite like mine and it's doing the job it needs to. I used to regularly run between 20-25 miles a week.

Since I got the Fitbit I've realised I'm incredibly sedentary when not exercising so I've started running less (only 3 miles a day at most) and making sure I go on a long walk towards the end of the day (5 miles ish). 

I feel a lot better the past couple of weeks and I'm sleeping without the need for any pills/teas (I'd always struggle to get to sleep in under an hour).

Its improved my running as well. Was averaging 7:50 M/M but back up to 7:30 now. 

I like a bit of competition but I've only got 3 friends on Fitbit. Anyone fancy some healthy competition? PM me for email addy to add as a friend.

I'm nearing the end of my fitbit obsession which started in March, since then I've lost almost 35lbs and now running 3 times a week, 10km every Sunday, 5km every Tues & Thurs. I've just got ~2lb to go make my target weight, then I just want to get a bit leaner, I've managed to go from ~25% fat to ~15%, would like to get that down to 10%.

I started due to blood pressure which was averaging 147/98. These days it's very rarely higher than 120/80 with the occasional reading below 105/70 and my resting heart rate is down from 75 to 52.

I'll add you as a friend, I'm still averaging >15K steps per day.

Edited by snagger

25 minutes ago, snagger said:

I'm nearing the end of my fitbit obsession which started in March, since then I've lost almost 35lbs and now running 3 times a week, 10km every Sunday, 5km every Tues & Thurs. I've just got ~2lb to go make my target weight, then I just want to get a bit leaner, I've managed to go from ~25% fat to ~15%, would like to get that down to 10%.

I started due to blood pressure which was averaging 147/98. These days it's very rarely higher than 120/80 with the occasional reading below 105/70 and my resting heart rate is down from 75 to 52.

A friend!

15K is about average for me an all

9 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Aw, you've got a friend!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O3igggNc8yU

I'm glad. I would like to be your friend too, I haven't got a Fitbit though, or a fit bit.

Remember when people first started getting ipones and said "You've just got to get one, they're fabulous"

.....well I'm not going to be that bellend.

....But you should get one, they're fantastic.

I'll be honest, I didn't know what a Fitbit is, but their website tells me it can help me 'live better', so now I'm sold.

I am a bit concerned about a company recording how many steps I take from my desk to the freezer to get some ice cream, especially when it's hot.

6 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

If I get one for my wife, is that offensive? (I don't care really but am curious how the ladies of the site would react if hubby bought them one)

I got one for Mrs bleached and after setting it up decided I quite like it so bought one for myself. 

Shes into her fitness so there was no offence to be taken. If in doubt just say "I know you're into your fitness so got you this"

3 minutes ago, axolotl said:

I'll be honest, I didn't know what a Fitbit is, but their website tells me it can help me 'live better', so now I'm sold.

I am a bit concerned about a company recording how many steps I take from my desk to the freezer to get some ice cream, especially when it's hot.

Don't forget it also measures your heart rate. Good cheap lie detector test.

3 hours ago, snagger said:

Careful - he's new. Might be trying to rinse you of your life savings after falling madly in love.

Just now, SpectrumFX said:

Which is the best Fitbit to buy?

I had one off those cheap mi band things, which worked well enough for tracking, but the plastic strap did funny things to my skin that made my wrist smell like a pet shop, so I stopped wearing it.

My one - only used once, the bloody thing!

Just now, spunko2010 said:

My one - only used once, the bloody thing!

So what don't you like about it?

I'm kind of interested in the tracking, but did it for a bit with the mi and probably learnt enough to tide me over for a while.

Is it better to wait for a newer cheaper/better version?

Just now, SpectrumFX said:

So what don't you like about it?

I'm kind of interested in the tracking, but did it for a bit with the mi and probably learnt enough to tide me over for a while.

Is it better to wait for a newer cheaper/better version?

It never really worked properly. I'm a lazy bastard and was apparently averaging 20,000 steps a day. I don't think I do that in a month.

34 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

It never really worked properly. I'm a lazy bastard and was apparently averaging 20,000 steps a day. I don't think I do that in a month.

You're supposed to take it off when you have a hand shandy.

1 hour ago, swissy_fit said:

If I get one for my wife, is that offensive? (I don't care really but am curious how the ladies of the site would react if hubby bought them one)

I bought myself the one below for my Christmas present to myself. Really like it because it looks like a bracelet. It doesn't measure heartbeat but counts steps and calories. You set a daily target of your choice on it. Links to iPad or smart phone.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-watches-and-fitness/fitness-trackers/misfit-ray-activity-tracker-carbon-black-leather-strap-10148335-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR

4 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Careful - he's new. Might be trying to rinse you of your life savings after falling madly in love.

Too late. He's actually got noble ancestory, Nigerian I believe. 

He just needed some help moving some cash around so of course I obliged. 

3 hours ago, choochoo said:

I have one but you're doing better than me so I'd just feel inadequate being your friend :CryBaby:

Think of yourself as the ugly wingman. I can't bang the pretty ladies without you :)

4 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

Which is the best Fitbit to buy?

I had one off those cheap mi band things, which worked well enough for tracking, but the plastic strap did funny things to my skin that made my wrist smell like a pet shop, so I stopped wearing it.

Charge 2 or alta HR seems to be the most common. Charge 2 can link to your phone if you need the GPS, but other than that they're pretty much the same. 

Theres one that has GPS built in but it's quite old now so no doubt a new one will be around the corner. 

1 minute ago, Thombleached said:

Charge 2 or alta HR seems to be the most common. Charge 2 can link to your phone if you need the GPS, but other than that they're pretty much the same. 

Theres one that has GPS built in but it's quite old now so no doubt a new one will be around the corner. 

I have the Alta HR (had a Surge before - built in GPS, but too bulky for my tiny wrist and never used GPS). My observations of the Alta are that you can't see the display in sunshine (I kid you not), the sleep monitoring is a bit dodgy it had me asleep when watching TV but apart from that it's not bad, good for trends and prompting you to walk more.