• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
AlfredTheLittle

Disagreeing with Daily Mail comments

Recommended Posts

The Daily Mail public comments seem to be a good indicator of what the general public are thinking. For example, you could accurately have predicted the last two general election results based on reading people's comments. Generally the comments show that people are fairly sensible, but sometimes they're pretty much unanimously wrong. 

Today, the comments on 4 students rescued from the top of Ben Nevis after they went up in trainers - ' idiots', 'make them pay', and particularly 'prosecute them'. shows what a namby pamby country we have become. What's wrong with going up a mountain in trainers? Apparently you're not allowed to go walking off the pavement anymore without ice picks, flares, 1st aid kit, and 1 week's food supplies. Even the rescuers, who I imagine must in reality love it they get to rescue students stuck up a mountain in bad weather, are saying the same.

On the basis of this article and the comments, I predict Brexit will be a disaster and the UK will go down the pan, we're just not a country that's willing to take risks or able to look after itself.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If everyone was sufficiently mentally and physically competent and properly equipped.... there'd be no need for the mountain rescue people.

Edited by Melchett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

Today, the comments on 4 students rescued from the top of Ben Nevis after they went up in trainers - ' idiots', 'make them pay', and particularly 'prosecute them'. shows what a namby pamby country we have become. What's wrong with going up a mountain in trainers? Apparently you're not allowed to go walking off the pavement anymore without ice picks, flares, 1st aid kit, and 1 week's food supplies. Even the rescuers, who I imagine must in reality love it they get to rescue students stuck up a mountain in bad weather, are saying the same.

 

Don't know about the mail in general, but as someone who grew up in the Peak District and generally will happily yomp around places like Dartmoor and the Lakes in the middle of winter, going out ill equipped at this time of year is pretty stupid tbh.

Every time someone does something like this it always has the bansturbators howling with glee and calling for more regulation of everything.

Edited by MrLibertyRedux
Phucking fone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

What's wrong with going up a mountain in trainers?

Absolutely nothing. Just don't ever ring mountain rescue.

Although I'm not over enthusiastic with over the top H&S rules, I would not have thought trainers to be a good option, up a mountain in Feb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically some students go for a nice walk in the mountains, before they can finish their walk a load of people jump on them, drag them down, then give them a load of abuse in the papers. They may well have been enjoying their walk, being cold and wet is all part of the fun.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Melchett said:

If everyone was sufficiently mentally and physically competent and properly equipped.... there'd be no need for the mountain rescue people.

There probably would.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tdog said:

I walked up Snowdon in trainers, but it was July and the easiest route.

If i was to do it in Febraury with the worst storm in decades predicted and go up the most difficult route, it'd be idiotic at best, suicidal at worst.

Idiocy is popular presently. I see it everywhere. You know you can go up Snowdon by train.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t read the article, but according to the reports on the radio they were without a map. At this time of year, visibility turns to zero pretty quickly. Climbing in Winter without a map & compass, and the skills to use them, is remarkably foolish. 
 

Did it say if they were studying something useful or is it media studies?

Edited by Horrified Onlooker
Finish first sentence

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tdog said:

Yes but its full of boomers and they all stink of piss. 

As for being idiotic, id say this surfer should have been allowed to drown the other day for being a complete and utter tool. Those RNLI men really shouldnt be risking their lives for a twat.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/18222812.storm-ciara-windsurfer-rescued-rnli-hastings/

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/terrifying-moment-lifeboat-almost-capsizes-17721327

 

He certainly has an interesting attitude to risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tdog said:

Yes but its full of boomers and they all stink of piss. 

As for being idiotic, id say this surfer should have been allowed to drown the other day for being a complete and utter tool. Those RNLI men really shouldnt be risking their lives for a twat.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/18222812.storm-ciara-windsurfer-rescued-rnli-hastings/

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/terrifying-moment-lifeboat-almost-capsizes-17721327

 

The problem with windsurfing is that it pretty much requires weather conditions which only a fool or a tool would go windsurfing in for it to work.

A bit of a conumndrum. Id imagine frequent exposure to windsurfing leads to a progressive atrophy of those parts of the brain that would say 'hang on a minute, only an idiot would go out on a little board in that'.

Edited by Melchett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Melchett said:

The problem with windsurfing is that it pretty much requires weather conditions which only a fool or a tool would go windsurfing in for it to work.

A bit of a conumndrum. Id imagine frequent exposure to windsurfing leads to a progressive atrophy of those parts of the brain that would say 'hang on a minute, only an idiot would go out on a little board in that'.

I quite like a bit of windsurfing. I clearly remember going down to Hayling Island with a couple of mates in the late 90s. The wind was pretty full on and we were having a good time. But then it started getting crazy. We headed back to the beach, and towards the end of packing up it was a struggle just to hold everything down while we were lashing the bags and boards to the roof racks. To our amazement, several car loads of people turned up then to go out into the proper storm. As they were getting their boards set up they were saying things like: “Why are you leaving, when it’s just getting going?” 

Fuck that! Went to the pub. I wonder how many of them died.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ben Nevis is a particularly difficult place to get down from if you cannot see the path, you have to do a very precise dogleg by pacing on a bearing or get into a situation where an ice axe and crampons definitely are required, or worse. So yes, these people were wankers.

Edited by Panther

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ashestoashes said:

plenty of people in full kit have walked off the top of Nevis and fallen down a cliff in poor visibility, so yes these students should have to pay

Daft decision, but they got out OK. No they shouldn't have to pay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I once did a walk up Ben Lomond and passed a group of ladies in traditional pakistani dress and flip flops/sandals. Not sure if they made it to the top or not but fair play to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ashestoashes said:

taxpayers should pay

What funds them? I assume it's like plod or fire service?

Just now, Boglet said:

I once did a walk up Ben Lomond and passed a group of ladies in traditional pakistani dress and flip flops/sandals. Not sure if they made it to the top or not but fair play to them.

It's probably like Himalaya?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MrPin said:

What funds them? I assume it's like plod or fire service?

Mountain rescue is voluntary except for RAF mountain rescue, who like the practice. The helicopters used to be RAF/Navy, and they liked the practice too, but now I think are Coastguard.

Edited by Panther

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

What funds them? I assume it's like plod or fire service?

It's probably like Himalaya?

3 in 5 rescues by donations

1 in 5 by scottish gov

1 in 5 by rescue team members

I was saying they should pay in order to discourage them and others

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.