• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Wahoo

Hospital staff face losing their homes

I feel sorry for these workers.

Hospital Parking

Hospital parking in Scotland is free. In England and Wales it's seen as another way of extracting money from the sick or those helping the sick.

Scotland is civilised. England is eating itself up due to corporate greed.

10 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

Hospital Parking

Hospital parking in Scotland is free. In England and Wales it's seen as another way of extracting money from the sick or those helping the sick.

The other part of the trick is that around most of the hospitals with big parking fees there's little or no residential parking in the streets outside.  There's no parking choice. 

Yet they still think that continuing with rapid population increase and ever increasing levels of extreme congestion is a good idea. 

Edited by twocents

5 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

Hospital Parking

Hmm, it was a risky approach to assume everything would be ok and park there anyway. I'd have been inclined to search for a solution of my own and not count on the Trust "seeing sense".  But yes, seems pretty tough.

I've always marvelled at the mevels of obesity wthin medical staff. Woman next door has a lovelly little fiat 500 yet uses the bus to get to snd from the NHS trust she works at, and yes she is also an exceedinly ample Matron.

11 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

I've always marvelled at the mevels of obesity wthin medical staff. Woman next door has a lovelly little fiat 500 yet uses the bus to get to snd from the NHS trust she works at, and yes she is also an exceedinly ample Matron.

High stress tiring job, I'm not surprised they're fat.

The difference to the 50s / 60s / 70s is that food was much more expensive so something like a Friday Chinese would gave been a big extravagance; I also get the impression that drink was much less frequently consumed.

1 hour ago, Wahoo said:

Hospital Parking

It's supposed to be free in Wales as well.

They're only charging because they've contracted with a private company to manage the car park, and have to let that contract run its course before they can make it free.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7273649.stm

Edited by SpectrumFX

A bunch of them should be able to park on King George V Drive -- which runs around the park next to Heath hospital -- but it's all been made residents only parking despite all of the houses having drives.

Meanwhile on my road nearby nobody has a drive, and we have a mixture of residents and non residents parking, plus a bunch of houses have been turned into HMO's for letting to students. 

Try and guess which road has (or has had) councillors, senior civil servants, and lords of the realm living on it.

Bunch of fuckers. :PissedOff:

1 hour ago, twocents said:

The other part of the trick is that around most of the hospitals with big parking fees there's little or no residential street parking in the streets outside.  There's no parking choice. 

Yet they still think that continuing with rapid population increase and ever increasing levels of extreme congestion is a good idea. 

Correcting my earlier post.

Edited by twocents

This parking company, Indigo, are effectively taking this money out of the public kitty. Imagine the legal costs alone to the NHS - of which I despise, but lets not lose sight of the facts. I don't care about obese nurses or Councillors parking on double yellows. These private parking companies need to be cut down by the government; it seems such an easy and popular thing to do, so Theresa has already ruled herself out! (Badum tish)

16 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

This parking company, Indigo, are effectively taking this money out of the public kitty. Imagine the legal costs alone to the NHS - of which I despise, but lets not lose sight of the facts. I don't care about obese nurses or Councillors parking on double yellows. These private parking companies need to be cut down by the government; it seems such an easy and popular thing to do, so Theresa has already ruled herself out! (Badum tish)

Indeed - it's a form of taxation (somebody has to run the car parks) but without the government getting the blame.  

Cronyism is in there as well.

Incidentally most of the hospital car parks seem to have machines where you can't get out of the car park without coughing up so I guess the car parks in question didn't have that arrangement - or if they're being fined for parking in the streets then unless there's a waiver for nurses and doctors etc say showing their status on the windscreen then they'll be due a fine whether they like it or not even if it seems unfair.  That's the law.

Edited by twocents

11 minutes ago, twocents said:

Indeed - it's a form of taxation (somebody has to run the car parks) but without the government getting the blame.  

Incidentally most of the hospital car parks seem to have machines where you can't get out of the car park without coughing up so I guess the car parks in question didn't have that arrangement - or if they're being fined for parking in the streets then unless there's a waiver for nurses and doctors etc say showing their status on the windscreen then they'll be due a fine whether they like it or not even if it seems unfair.  That's the law.

It's also the fact that companies like Parking Eye are super litigious - on ToS we were not allowed to even mention them. I have read that all of their directors are ex-lawyers.

One of the comments on the article on the OPs link.

How is it possible for every hospital or medical facility to have enough space to provide parking whether free or paying for every employee, outpatients and all visitors? Simple logistics, it is just not possible.

How is it that none of these problems ever get linked to the rapid population growth - it's as if the problems are suddenly springing out of nowhere.  

I also imagine that hospital workers being displaced to park in outside streets and car parks causes its own irritations amongst the general public - as apart from parking to shop many will use those parking facilities when they come to work.  Even if there's enough spaces outside the extra demand will tend to push up the general public's parking fees outside of the hospital.

25 minutes ago, twocents said:

Parking is free in Wales. It seems there are 1800 spaces for patients and 1800 for staff. I am guessing that when staff cannot park in staff spaces they have been parking in patient spaces. As they are not patients, I can see how the fines occur.

It occurs to me that a hospital with 6,000 staff, running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, will at no point have more than 3,000 staff on site at any one time?

Given that many will get the bus, some will walk, some may even lift share. You would have thought 1800 spaces were enough.

I am struggling to have a vast amount of sympathy. To be allocated staff parking in itself is a fantastic perk. I assume most staff followed the rules that came with this perk but there are always a few 'it doesn't apply to us' types.

The Hospital appears to have 10 car parks. My guess is that there may be enough spaces but it takes too long to find one in that kind of system. Anyone know if there is some clever signage that knows where empty spaces are?

Some said that they had to park where they did or on occasions they had a 20 minute walk. Perhaps they should have done that more often?

2 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Parking is free in Wales. It seems there are 1800 spaces for patients and 1800 for staff. I am guessing that when staff cannot park in staff spaces they have been parking in patient spaces. As they are not patients, I can see how the fines occur.

It occurs to me that a hospital with 6,000 staff, running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, will at no point have more than 3,000 staff on site at any one time?

Given that many will get the bus, some will walk, some may even lift share. You would have thought 1800 spaces were enough.

I am struggling to have a vast amount of sympathy. To be allocated staff parking in itself is a fantastic perk. I assume most staff followed the rules that came with this perk but there are always a few 'it doesn't apply to us' types.

The Hospital appears to have 10 car parks. My guess is that there may be enough spaces but it takes too long to find one in that kind of system. Anyone know if there is some clever signage that knows where empty spaces are?

Some said that they had to park where they did or on occasions they had a 20 minute walk. Perhaps they should have done that more often?

It's not free to park at that hospital because they have a contract that they "can't get out of" with a private contractor. So are charging everybody for parking for the duration of that contract.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

High stress tiring job, I'm not surprised they're fat.

The difference to the 50s / 60s / 70s is that food was much more expensive so something like a Friday Chinese would gave been a big extravagance; I also get the impression that drink was much less frequently consumed.

When I works in a hospital for a year in the 1970s there was not much in the way of parking spaces but lots of staff including nurses and doctors had accommodation supplied in or near the premises.  Hardly any of the junior nurses owned cars. Our main problem was members of the public trying to blag the consultants reserved parking spaces. On more than one occasion the Hospital authorities ordered us to literally bounce the offending vehicles out if the hospital onto the double yellow lines outside.

35 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

It's not free to park at that hospital because they have a contract that they "can't get out of" with a private contractor. So are charging everybody for parking for the duration of that contract.

Ok - my error. In which case, when the Welsh Assembly announced that parking was free for all they should have bought out the contract or they are going against their own policy.

Shouldn't be that expensive - surely the firm pay the local authority a sum equal to what they receive in fees less a small profit margin and costs?

(And yes, that last bit was tongue in cheek)

4 hours ago, Wahoo said:

Hospital Parking

Scotland is subsidized (by England) not civilized. Not that I think people should be charged for hospital parking on the whole - especially not staff who have to be there at all sorts of odd times and really need not to be late.

1 hour ago, TheBlueCat said:

Scotland is subsidized (by England) not civilized. Not that I think people should be charged for hospital parking on the whole - especially not staff who have to be there at all sorts of odd times and really need not to be late.

Hospitals should be connected to the local public transport.

A 6000 manned hospital probably only has 1500 max working any shift.

Outside if 9-5 theres few vusutors, no elective operations etc, so staffing will probably be down to 500 ish.

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Hospitals should be connected to the local public transport.

A 6000 manned hospital probably only has 1500 max working any shift.

Outside if 9-5 theres few vusutors, no elective operations etc, so staffing will probably be down to 500 ish.

Our local hospital has massive parking problems mostly due to lazy bastards parking on double yellow lines to save a few extra metres that would have to walk from the car park 

private parking company in place from today, let the fun and games begin 

also all the buses in the area stop at the hospital, only a handful of people use the bus service, mostly EE and "Portuguese" immigrants 

its not an insurmountable problem. Our hospital, a large regional unit has sold off lots of its land to developers for housing. Parking does seem to be an issue, there are not enough spaces. The option to use some of the proceeds from the sale of land to build a multi level car park on the existing parking areas was a possible solution.

It has been done at a nearby hospital in Camberley.  

My daughter worked there a while ago, in the finance department, a total shambles so she left. She noticed that the money from parking fees was not properly accounted for.

I work for a hospital trust. I don't actually work at the hospital site but rather a large warehouse on an industrial estate. There are no high security cameras outside the building like there is at the car parks surrounding the hospital. My colleagues still have to pay £11 or £12 a month for the priviledge of parking outside a shed - 2 miles away from the hospital. It is taking a liberty when other commuters of the neighbouring units don't have to pay to park outside their places of work.

I was paying this fee for 3 years myself until I moved within walking distance.