DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Coronavirus Economic Impact Thread

No One

Democorruptcy
9 hours ago, Bear Hug said:

BT is still falling and is a big loss for me.  

However, besides people depending on landlines to work from home when shit finally hits the fan, I though of another angle:

- if sports are forced into competing without spectators, behind locked doors, wouldn't demand for paying to watch sporting events on TV rise quite a lot?  Particularly if people start avoiding pubs too?

Who else trades publicly and provides this sort of service? 

I wondered if the lowering of gilts yields was partly behind it? It increases the pension deficit and means they have to put aside more cash to plug the hole?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

I wondered if the lowering of gilts yields was partly behind it? It increases the pension deficit and means they have to put aside more cash to plug the hole?

Hard to tell without looking at their assets. Under similar logic, funding level should improve if the virus is as deadly as some estimates show and mainly affects old people

12 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Go long toy firms to keep the children occupied? xD

I'd rather say video game developers and Netflix :) 

2 hours ago, BearyBear said:

I'd rather say video game developers and Netflix :) 

Someone on pandemic thread suggested funeral directors

Not Flybe.  Their card was marked weeks ago.  Conversation is on the other (correct!) thread here!  Listen to the MSM about them and CV gives you enough reason not to listen to them.  99% of the MSM talking heads and their back offices are illiterate about most things.

On 28/02/2020 at 09:00, Wight Flight said:

Cinemas and theatres.

Vue was already shaky.

Yeah we saw the bond film delayed. I could only think maybe they’ll switch to straight to rental and sale but they’ll lose out but better than nothing. Filming might be a pain too if production gets shut down? Maybe we’ll get loads of computer stuff , animations with studio voiceovers.

Wight Flight
14 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

Yeah we saw the bond film delayed. I could only think maybe they’ll switch to straight to rental and sale but they’ll lose out but better than nothing. Filming might be a pain too if production gets shut down? Maybe we’ll get loads of computer stuff , animations with studio voiceovers.

I expected cinemas to be buggered because people wouldn't risk going.

I didn't expect them to be buggered because there were no films being released.

Same net result though.

TheCountOfNowhere
2 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Same net result though.

Already stoppwd going to takeaways

The Idiocrat
2 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Same net result though.

Pal of mine is quite senior in theatreland in London - told me earlier today "it's imploding" due to coronavirus.

TheCountOfNowhere
11 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

Pal of mine is quite senior in theatreland in London - told me earlier today "it's imploding" due to coronavirus.

Its imploding due to a debt fuelled faux economy. If a business was run properly yiud have a contingency and survive off of less. 

The Idiocrat
11 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Its imploding due to a debt fuelled faux economy. If a business was run properly yiud have a contingency and survive off of less. 

Well each show is temporary of course, and has a business plan. A big drop in sales completely fucks it up. Most lose money. They do have high rents too (I know, I know!). But yes, we're going to see a lot of businesses collapse because they didn't put anything aside for a rainy day.

TheCountOfNowhere
13 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

Well each show is temporary of course, and has a business plan. A big drop in sales completely fucks it up. Most lose money. They do have high rents too (I know, I know!). But yes, we're going to see a lot of businesses collapse because they didn't put anything aside for a rainy day.

Rents... Yes, Rents are a prpblem for any system where property becomes a method of enslavement.... That's the council for ya 🤣🤣🤣

Gyms, one of the worst places you could catch it I'd imagine. Thin margins in a saturated market. Plus lots of people on 1 month rolling contracts so easy to cancel and then re-join at a later date.

Was actually thinking about cancelling my membership this week as I'm on a 1 month rolling contract. Thoughts?

42 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Gyms, one of the worst places you could catch it I'd imagine. Thin margins in a saturated market. Plus lots of people on 1 month rolling contracts so easy to cancel and then re-join at a later date.

Was actually thinking about cancelling my membership this week as I'm on a 1 month rolling contract. Thoughts?

I use Hussle and would have cancelled last month if I could, bit gutted as I'm currently tied into a 3 month offer which I won't be using.

Wight Flight
44 minutes ago, gibbon said:

I thought this and looked up David Lloyd accounts. 

Which to be honest were feckin confusing. Individually they seem to be doing well but as a group appear buggered.

29 minutes ago, Tdog said:

Thats exactly what i done this week. You with The Gym Group?

Nope I go to a independent, they've only got one gym so going to get fucked I reckon as most the membership are on 1 month rolling.

Just checked out the gym group charts, looks like i'm not the first to think of gyms are going to implode, be a good short if anyone does that sort of thing?

screenshot-www.google.com-2020_03.05-23_19_31.png.d145ae260aeff2586218dbc52556419c.png

9 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I thought this and looked up David Lloyd accounts. 

Which to be honest were feckin confusing. Individually they seem to be doing well but as a group appear buggered.

They are owned by private equity aren't they? Will all be smoke and mirrors

1 hour ago, gibbon said:

Yes. I am with Pure and I am cancelling mine at the end of this month. Have been going a lot over the last few years and just stopped now.  Like cycling on the roads, if risks outweigh health benefits, it's not worth doing.

Started running, just need to remember to get some sort of dumbbell routine going. 

Archived