• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oskar

EU involvement in French Election

Not sure if this is fake site reporting fake news about fake news, but it seems the EU are now getting involved in the French national elections to stop Le Pen.

https://biasedbbc.org/blog/2017/03/30/eu-fake-news-operation/

A quote from the article:

Given that the French election could have vital consequences for the EU, the European Commission is not taking any chances. In an unusual move, it’s getting involved in French politics, albeit indirectly, with a fact-checking campaign to counter the anti-EU narrative coming from Le Pen’s National Front.

The EU-paid fact checkers rebut Le Pen attack lines such as the assertion that France would be better off without the euro or that the EU destroys French purchasing power.

While the EU seeks to counter core Le Pen Euroskeptic messages, the Commission doesn’t endorse any specific candidate in the French race. But there is no doubt that Brussels insiders see a Le Pen win as a threat to the EU.

The EU have already had a go by prosecuting Le Pen for using her EU Parliament expenses to fund her party. She's refused to play ball saying that they are interfering with a French election and will speak to prosecutors after the election.

One of the catches of the EU parliament is that if you are a member you have to support the EU - not easy for a party against the EU.

Regarding pulling out of the Euro - I don't know if it is possible but one of the claims of the EU candidate Macron is that would

1. cause an immediate devaluation of the new Franc by 30% - now what that tells me is that France is locked into an Euro that is 30% overvalued for the economy. France is slowly being strangled by the Euro. 10 years ago they were an industrial powerhouse exporting around the world but the economy has flatlined since then. The country is pretty much unreformable due to too many vested interests and devaluation was the usual pressure valve for the economy.

2. devalue the pensions of 8 million pensioners - I can't see it would make a huge difference. There is not much inflation in the system at the moment and France is self sufficient in nearly everything but petrol, there's probably never been a better time to quit the Euro to be honest with oil at 50 dollars a barrel

3. It would cause inflation - yes a bit but with an economy on the verge of deflation it might not be a bad thing

France's debts, at around 1 trillion would be an issue. They would probably have to be re-denominated in new Francs.

It is worrying for sure, I wonder who the will meddle with next and if that country is so accomodating. If they try this out on some of the EE countries it might not be taken well.

17 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Interesting but not surprising. Is anyone here in France? I've read online that FN posters are everywhere. Would be interested to know if true. 

Zero in the Grenoble area, but it is a nest of Trots

41 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Interesting but not surprising. Is anyone here in France? I've read online that FN posters are everywhere. Would be interested to know if true. 

I'm in SW France but rural so I haven't noticed any posters at all so far! Tricky to ask how ppl how they will be voting but my nearest neighbour says he is NOT voting at ALL anymore because all French  politicians are corrupt. (Nb That was a while ago ie before the FIllon scandal erupted.)  I have read that about 30% of French never vote which seems like a LOT?! (What's the number of non-voters in the UK?)I told my neighbour he should vote anyway but just spoil the ballot if he feels so strongly he is not being represented by anyone on the list. (But he couldn't see the point of that.) Anyway, seems like round 2 will be Macron v Le Pen. (Unless one of those 2 wins the 1st round outright?!) But i have no idea who will be the eventually winner. It shd be Macron (according to the polls) but we have no faith in those anymore right?!

14 minutes ago, Oskar said:

Shows how much the EU president knows about his history, he would have been better of choosing Hawaii which was seized by US gunboats from the Spanish. But then that would not have been as sensationalist. Oh and then there's Puerto Rico.

11 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Shows how much the EU president knows about his history, he would have been better of choosing Hawaii which was seized by US gunboats from the Spanish. But then that would not have been as sensationalist. Oh and then there's Puerto Rico.

California is making noises about leaving Trumpton as well.

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

I live in Bordeaux. So far I'm surprised at the almost complete lack of political posters, of any party.

Mrs DeepLurker has just received her voter's card. She says she's going to vote for Jean Lassalle (anti-globalisation rural champion, currently hovering at 1%) in the first round. I think she's serious. In round 2 she will of course vote for whoever is left to face Le Pen - as neither of us was born in France, a vote for Le Pen is out of the question :)

12 minutes ago, DeepLurker said:

I live in Bordeaux. So far I'm surprised at the almost complete lack of political posters, of any party.

Mrs DeepLurker has just received her voter's card. She says she's going to vote for Jean Lassalle (anti-globalisation rural champion, currently hovering at 1%) in the first round. I think she's serious. In round 2 she will of course vote for whoever is left to face Le Pen - as neither of us was born in France, a vote for Le Pen is out of the question :)

nfNeT7YvTozx0cv7ze3mplZpo1_500.gif

• Similar Content

• By the gardener
      From the So-Called BBC: 'The French National Assembly has passed a tough new immigration law that tightens the rules around asylum.
      The bill shortens asylum application deadlines, doubles the time for which illegal migrants can be detained, and introduces a one-year prison sentence for entering France illegally.'
      What is the prospect of the UK passing legislation like that?
      Why aren't the French being called out as actual, real and breathing, living, Nazis?
    • By Carl Fimble
      Ok, many of you did not believe me when I said Tommy Robinson is controlled opposition, or when I said the same of Anne Marie Waters, here's a video looking at the Football Lads Alliance (FLA) though :
      It does start to become pretty obvious when you take the blinkers off, lots of other things start making sense then too.

• By davidg
      Had a meeting in Paris on Saturday so took my son up to see the Louvre. Having gone around the art sections I'm pretty sure most if not all of the pictures on display are copies and the real pictures are probably in a vault somewhere.