DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Graphics cards, stupid question.

Calcutta

Question

I know very little about computers and have never found need to learn. But, there's a few games I fancy playing. I'm getting old, kids and work stop me getting out much and having a war game going while I'm washing dishes etc might help me get thru the next few years.

The sort of games I'm interested in aren't flashy new bang crash games, they're war games, Power & Revolution, the Civilisations. I've looked into system requirements and it looks like I'd need a computer with an Nvidia 7200 Gspot? Graphics card. Googling tells me this was released in 2006 and I'm confused as to what I can buy now (dirt cheap off eBay obviously) that would match it. 

I'm looking at £50 laptops with 4gig of memory and 2ghz processors which match the requirements but I've no idea if they'd be able to handle the graphics. Are modern integrated graphics as good as a 14 year old graphics card? It's beyond me, a few minutes of searching and I might as well be trying to read a Filipino newspaper. Cheers for any guidance.

4 answers to this question

Sweet cheers, I got lost with all the i3 core dual amd i5 words I don't understand and couldn't see the old for the trees. Now I know I'm onto a winner with anything modern I can worry about budget etc. 

28 minutes ago, Calcutta said:

Sweet cheers, I got lost with all the i3 core dual amd i5 words I don't understand and couldn't see the old for the trees. Now I know I'm onto a winner with anything modern I can worry about budget etc. 

Can highly recommend CEX, most I have been into have been very helpful, should have one locally. Reckon if you go i5 and 8GB think you should be good - might be a botlimited ons creen size though. Have bought quite a few items from them, they have standard warranty on their second items too which is great.  If you pop into one see what they say / have in stock, I looked other website and a Dell of that spec is indeed available around the £100 mark, if they don't have anything suitable in stock they can get one transferred from another shop (in fact I think they just send direct but take your order at the counter). Stick to grade B or above and the machine will be in good/v good condition. You may get a bargain off ebay or you may get a lemon, certainly if going old and cheaper than that, on a limited budget I think that is probably more risk than the saving worth as you want to spend your money and guarantee getting a decent working machine.

2 hours ago, Calcutta said:

I know very little about computers and have never found need to learn. But, there's a few games I fancy playing. I'm getting old, kids and work stop me getting out much and having a war game going while I'm washing dishes etc might help me get thru the next few years.

The sort of games I'm interested in aren't flashy new bang crash games, they're war games, Power & Revolution, the Civilisations. I've looked into system requirements and it looks like I'd need a computer with an Nvidia 7200 Gspot? Graphics card. Googling tells me this was released in 2006 and I'm confused as to what I can buy now (dirt cheap off eBay obviously) that would match it. 

I'm looking at £50 laptops with 4gig of memory and 2ghz processors which match the requirements but I've no idea if they'd be able to handle the graphics. Are modern integrated graphics as good as a 14 year old graphics card? It's beyond me, a few minutes of searching and I might as well be trying to read a Filipino newspaper. Cheers for any guidance.

Personally would up the budget to £100 - £150. You'll get a far better laptop on all counts that might have a chance of actually working for a decent number of years and be able to source a replacement battery if ever needed. Modern inbuilt graphics chips are way more powerful than those older cards, no comparison really.

Archived