DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Big changes to UK migrant criteria

maffo

• 70 points needed to enter UK: 20 points for a job offer; 20 points for job being skilled (A-level or above); 10 points for speaking English; 20 points for salary of £25.6k or more; 20 points for working in a “shortage occupation”; 10 points for PhD; 20 points for science PhD.
  • Must have a job offer unless applicant is exceptionally highly skilled.
  • No way for low-skilled workers to enter UK other than for seasonal farming work.
  • No access to benefits or Free NHS for migrants who have lived in UK for less than five years.
  • Seventy per cent of those who have come to UK from the EU would be ineligible. But none of this applies to EU citizens currently living in UK, who are subject to the settled status scheme.

fr6Ux4nhQ8CEpPEcufnD_1902 i.jpg

New immigration rules: where will UK find its drivers and pickers?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/feb/18/new-immigration-rules-where-will-uk-find-its-drivers-and-pickers

Food will be grown in countries where there are lots of labour and cheap land, such as Africa.

People will walk to a depot to pick parcels up, getting rid of the last mile.

Next question.

I went through something similar - actually harder - when migrating to New Zealand from the UK. Although it was something of a ball-ache at the time, I didn't grudge the Kiwis the right to choose who comes in to steal their jobs/women/houses.

56 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Maybe we could, er, employ UK citizens to do it? Instead of importing cheap labour that depresses wages at the bottom end of the economy?

I think these new rules are pretty sensible tbh, this seems like good step towards making the UK labour market fairer, which makes me wonder why Boris is doing it. Surely his director friends won't like him turning off the cheap labour tap?

17 minutes ago, Castlevania said:

When they say no access to benefits, does that include in work benefits and housing benefit?

Income related benefits was the term used, NHS is subject to £400 a year tax on top of ni etc.

1 hour ago, Hardhat said:

Maybe we could, er, employ UK citizens to do it? Instead of importing cheap labour that depresses wages at the bottom end of the economy?

I think these new rules are pretty sensible tbh, this seems like good step towards making the UK labour market fairer, which makes me wonder why Boris is doing it. Surely his director friends won't like him turning off the cheap labour tap?

Most of teh political elite jsut want cheap labour to wipe bums in care homes so private equity can make hay while ZIRP shines.

UK wages will rise.Good.

I'm second gen married to a first gen.We're both glad to see these rules come in.My Mrs had 'not entitled to public funds for five years' on her card.No matter her paying taxes and yet all these people can pitch up in boats or across the chunnel and get the handouts straight away.

7 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Most of teh political elite jsut want cheap labour to wipe bums in care homes so private equity can make hay while ZIRP shines.

UK wages will rise.Good.

I'm second gen married to a first gen.We're both glad to see these rules come in.My Mrs had 'not entitled to public funds for five years' on her card.No matter her paying taxes and yet all these people can pitch up in boats or across the chunnel and get the handouts straight away.

Im not even sure the thinking is that joined up.

They all seem to have bought into this - If people are coming here theyll be working and paying tax.

They dont seem to be able tally the benefit take with the new migrants, with some half arsed concept from their PPE days of migrants somehow making a country richer, because that whats happened in the USA 50-100 years ago. Conveniently forgetting that the US never has much of a welfare state. 

Recent US migration changes from the 90s, where the skills requirement has been dropped and the poor n deserving get more points has had a very different outcome - see Somalis turning up their.

Totally disconneced, deluded idiots.

Leicester - pop 300k (almost 1/2 of the number of Romanians whove registered to stay in the UK) is going to empty.

There will be new exclusions, loopholes and qualifications to make those undesirable (to the public) low skilled workers still able to get through the points system by becoming skilled at a basic level.

e.g. Those new 'T' level courses will be expanded so anyone wanting to come as a current non-skilled worker can go on one of those courses (or shorter apprenticeships or other alternatives they will come up with), where there is an employer with a worker/skills shortage (at the wages they want to pay) offering them the work placement aspect, so the person gains a skill and the employer gains the staff.

As long as there aren't too many easy ways of bypassing the intended nature of the system then it may be a good idea as it means all workers will have a basic level of competence and transferable qualification/skills.

From fruit pickers to cleaners to care home workers, they will no longer be unskilled as every task requires a skill at some level. So they will just get a piece of paper to prove it. 

The bigger issue is the relaxing of vesa numbers so there will be more higher skilled people coming into the UK driving those salaries down. So by addressing the issue of too many low/non-skilled immigrants there will be too many skilled immigrants. i.e. the worker will always lose while the cost of living in the UK is so high relative to places comparable skilled people can come from.

4 hours ago, spygirl said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/feb/18/new-immigration-rules-where-will-uk-find-its-drivers-and-pickers

Food will be grown in countries where there are lots of labour and cheap land, such as Africa.

People will walk to a depot to pick parcels up, getting rid of the last mile.

Next question.

Farmers will need to invest in tech rather than cheaper labour and doing the double dip by charging that labour to stay in caravans parked round the back of the shed, whilst unloading all the other costs onto the taxpayer. 

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Im not even sure the thinking is that joined up.

They all seem to have bought into this - If people are coming here theyll be working and paying tax.

They dont seem to be able tally the benefit take with the new migrants, with some half arsed concept from their PPE days of migrants somehow making a country richer, because that whats happened in the USA 50-100 years ago. Conveniently forgetting that the US never has much of a welfare state. 

Recent US migration changes from the 90s, where the skills requirement has been dropped and the poor n deserving get more points has had a very different outcome - see Somalis turning up their.

Totally disconneced, deluded idiots.

Leicester - pop 300k (almost 1/2 of the number of Romanians whove registered to stay in the UK) is going to empty.

Leicester had the only polling station outsdie of London for the romanian Genereal Election.I jest not.

TheCountOfNowhere
3 hours ago, sancho panza said:

UK wages will rise.Good.

Comedy gold that post

2 hours ago, sancho panza said:

Genereal Election

Cross between General and venereal? Seems strangely appropriate when voting for a bunch of cocks and cunts (of any colour).

On 19/02/2020 at 14:01, Alex said:

Cross between General and venereal? Seems strangely appropriate when voting for a bunch of cocks and cunts (of any colour).

Perhaps it was a Freudian slip related to the recent election choice?..."What would you prefer, a dose of Syphilis of Gonnorhea?"...thank god we didn't get a coalition government!

Not that I'm a fan of Priti Patel (or any Tory, or any politician for that matter) but it's interesting to observe the level of vitriol and criticism that's been thrown her way since she announced these new immigration rules... all of a sudden she's being accused of bullying and harassing colleagues, claims of not being trusted by MI5 etc etc

Our Corporatist/Bankster rulers (and their useful idiots on the liberal left) are obviously all in favour of unlimited, unskilled immigration and the wage suppressing cheap labour it provides so they appear to have launched a campaign to get her out of the door.

PatronizingGit
4 hours ago, Royston said:

Not that I'm a fan of Priti Patel (or any Tory, or any politician for that matter) but it's interesting to observe the level of vitriol and criticism that's been thrown her way since she announced these new immigration rules... all of a sudden she's being accused of bullying and harassing colleagues, claims of not being trusted by MI5 etc etc

Our Corporatist/Bankster rulers (and their useful idiots on the liberal left) are obviously all in favour of unlimited, unskilled immigration and the wage suppressing cheap labour it provides so they appear to have launched a campaign to get her out of the door.

The cynic in me says that 'hostile' response to her is itself fabricated to give the impression she's 'hated by the establishment' & thus make her more popular amongst the anti immigrant majority, whereas the reality is her proposals are remarkable only for their light touch pro mass immigration nature. 

For example, frankly i'm flabbergasted they can consider any genuinely 'skilled' occupation would offer a salary of 25 grand. ie, below the average.

In Germany is 49k euros...itself still far too low IMO.

https://www.germany-visa.org/immigration-residence-permit/working-germany-getting-german-work-permit/

On 19/02/2020 at 08:19, Hardhat said:

Can't see it hurting his directors friends that much. Perhaps his bean counters have said that there's going to be enough low skilled migrants remaining to keep wages low?  

He's looking to keep the borrowed votes imo. When was the last time a PM helped the working class in a way that had some negative effects on other groups?  Usually it's anyone but the people who work for a living that get helped.

On 25/02/2020 at 11:08, PatronizingGit said:

The cynic in me says that 'hostile' response to her is itself fabricated to give the impression she's 'hated by the establishment' & thus make her more popular amongst the anti immigrant majority, whereas the reality is her proposals are remarkable only for their light touch pro mass immigration nature. 

For example, frankly i'm flabbergasted they can consider any genuinely 'skilled' occupation would offer a salary of 25 grand. ie, below the average.

In Germany is 49k euros...itself still far too low IMO.

https://www.germany-visa.org/immigration-residence-permit/working-germany-getting-german-work-permit/

Agree, when you consider a 40hr week on minimum wage equates to £18137pa...unless of course we consider a turnip picker is highly skilled, as one MP state during the Brexit debate!

• 5 months later...

Archived