DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Classic Rock & Metal

Caravan Monster

Caravan Monster

Being a slightly odd child I was very keen on the likes of Def Leppard, Motorhead, Iron Maiden and even foreigners like Motley Crue, before 'growing out of it' as a teenager. I binned all my cassettes in the late nineties because they were fucked and am now hazy on what was what. I recently bought some early Def Leppard cds  and have really enjoyed hearing them again. Can anyone recommend albums of a similar nature? I'd like to get some Black Sabbath / Ozzy and Iron Maiden.

I can't speak for the album since I only know this single, it isn't the sort of thing I normally go for (hence this is probably my only thread contribution) yet I love it and they seem to have quite a following.

Unwritten Law

However I do like Black Sabbath and enjoyed this. Intelligent well-crafted interesting rock.

• Agree 1
19 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

Being a slightly odd child I was very keen on the likes of Def Leppard, Motorhead, Iron Maiden and even foreigners like Motley Crue, before 'growing out of it' as a teenager. I binned all my cassettes in the late nineties because they were fucked and am now hazy on what was what. I recently bought some early Def Leppard cds  and have really enjoyed hearing them again. Can anyone recommend albums of a similar nature? I'd like to get some Black Sabbath / Ozzy and Iron Maiden.

I got into that sort of stuff as a teenager in the 90s. I have always liked the glossy 'hair metal' style more than traditional rock or metal, however some of it is now a bit of a guilty pleasure as the bands clearly took themselves very seriously, when it's clearly an absurd and unserious genre of music. Of the bands / acts you mention, I reckon you want:

Def Leppard: Hysteria and Andrenalize. I still can't believe that a band could release a song that goes 'women, women, lots of pretty women' three years after Spinal Tap came out, though it's entirely possible that they wrote it before then as apparently it was one of the most delayed albums ever. Animal is an all time classic, would be a contender for one of my desert island discs. Andrenalize is glossier still, a defiant last hurrah before grunge and indie made hair metal irrelevant almost overnight.

Motley: AFAIK the ones worth bothering with are the first album Too Fast For Love; skip the next two. Girls Girls Girls is only worth having for the title track and Wild Side, Dr Feelgood is pretty good.

I've never really been into Maiden, but you probably want Number Of The Beast, Powerslave, and Seventh Son as a starter.

Similarly never been much into Sabbath, but the first two Ozzy solo albums Blizzard of Oz and Diary Of A Madman are absolute classics. I think No More Tears is pretty good, the title track and Mr Tinkertrain especially.

As for other stuff you might like, I reckon no 80s rock collection is complete without Slippery When Wet and New Jersey by Bon Jovi; why on earth Bon Jovi dropped the heavy rock and kept the pre-teen-girl melodrama for their later stuff I have no idea. Blow My Fuse by Kix is a great album, containing the classic Cold Blood. The first, self titled Skid Row album is good; basically higher energy, dumber, less pretentious Bon Jovi, which is no surprise as apparently JBJ wrote most of it.

And check out the band Steel Panther. They're basically a parody hair metal band, but are, improbably but joyously, better musicians and songwriters than all the bands they parody. The first two albums especially, Feel The Steel and Balls Out, are absolutely belting; they seem to have run out of ideas on the later albums sadly. The lyrics are unrelentingly profane and juvenile so not really something to put on in polite company, but that's their schtick. They are also absolutely superb live, I've seen them three times, most recently a couple of weeks ago.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1
20 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

Similar to you, listened to bits of Thin Lizzy /Maiden/ Sabbath /Zepplin as a kid but didn't have the albums.

I still favour CD's, they are so cheap these days even new, really a case of whether you go for a greatest hits album to start with, or do the 'Journey' of starting with their first album and working your way through.  'Paranoid' the 2nd Sabbath album is great.

• Agree 1
Melchett

Once youve got the works of Thin Lizzy you're pretty much covered.

However, other stuff that springs to mind includes Deep Purple 1970-75 and Rainbow during the Dio years. Totally different band to the one that had the handfull of Beta-boy hits

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1
25 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Rainbow during the Dio years. Totally different band to the one that had the handfull of Beta-boy hits

If you're referring to Since You Been Gone, I have to say that Graham Bonnet can properly wail when he wants to, and Cozy Powell was no slouch:

Melchett
2 minutes ago, Rave said:

If you're referring to Since You Been Gone, I have to say that Graham Bonnet can properly wail when he wants to, and Cozy Powell was no slouch:

Yeah, he's OK, but it was a transition album, to something far more forgettable.

And Cozy was in the classic Dio line up too.

A bit of an 'all posts meet up' one:

• Agree 1
Caravan Monster
1 hour ago, Rave said:

I got into that sort of stuff as a teenager in the 90s. I have always liked the glossy 'hair metal' style more than traditional rock or metal, however some of it is now a bit of a guilty pleasure as the bands clearly took themselves very seriously, when it's clearly an absurd and unserious genre of music. Of the bands / acts you mention, I reckon you want:

That's the beauty of reaching middle age and regaining the child-like DGAF what people think about things like the music we listen to. Watching an Iron Maiden video with the ridiculous 'special' effects and the daft dress up puts a smile on my face and I intend to find out about Steel Panther for that reason. Cheers @Rave some really good recommendations there, especially Skid Row, I had completely forgotten them.

@Odarroc I'm buying on cd too being unconvinced by download only. The second hand websites are so cheap and you can often listen to the entire album on youtube before buying, so much better than buying £15 cds in the nineties without even knowing what was on them. Good call on Thin Lizzy, I did have some on cassette and am looking forward to re hearing it in modern high quality. @Melchett that Rainbow is very operatic, never heard it before B|

• Agree 2

Or buy it on vinyl. Like any genre that was hugely popular at the time, but hasn't been taken up, ironically or otherwise, by millenials/hipsters, a lot of it is still very much charity shop and bootsale fodder. You won't find much Maiden because of their loyal fanbase (and the fact they're still going I guess) but I've got loads of classic rock LPs I paid a pound or less for.

• Agree 2
Don Coglione
5 hours ago, Rave said:

Def Leppard: Hysteria and Andrenalize. I still can't believe that a band could release a song that goes 'women, women, lots of pretty women' three years after Spinal Tap came out, though it's entirely possible that they wrote it before then as apparently it was one of the most delayed albums ever. Animal is an all time classic, would be a contender for one of my desert island discs. Andrenalize is glossier still, a defiant last hurrah before grunge and indie made hair metal irrelevant almost overnight.

Motley: AFAIK the ones worth bothering with are the first album Too Fast For Love; skip the next two. Girls Girls Girls is only worth having for the title track and Wild Side, Dr Feelgood is pretty good.

I've never really been into Maiden, but you probably want Number Of The Beast, Powerslave, and Seventh Son as a starter.

Similarly never been much into Sabbath, but the first two Ozzy solo albums Blizzard of Oz and Diary Of A Madman are absolute classics. I think No More Tears is pretty good, the title track and Mr Tinkertrain especially.

As for other stuff you might like, I reckon no 80s rock collection is complete without Slippery When Wet and New Jersey by Bon Jovi; why on earth Bon Jovi dropped the heavy rock and kept the pre-teen-girl melodrama for their later stuff I have no idea. Blow My Fuse by Kix is a great album, containing the classic Cold Blood. The first, self titled Skid Row album is good; basically higher energy, dumber, less pretentious Bon Jovi, which is no surprise as apparently JBJ wrote most of it.

And check out the band Steel Panther. They're basically a parody hair metal band, but are, improbably but joyously, better musicians and songwriters than all the bands they parody. The first two albums especially, Feel The Steel and Balls Out, are absolutely belting; they seem to have run out of ideas on the later albums sadly. The lyrics are unrelentingly profane and juvenile so not really something to put on in polite company, but that's their schtick. They are also absolutely superb live, I've seen them three times, most recently a couple of weeks ago.

Rave hits the spot here.

Def Leppard's "Hysteria" album really is seminal; has anyone watched the "Classic Albums" series on (I think) Sky Arts? The episode featuring this work is a must-see. Incredible stuff for a bunch of kids from Sheffield.

Similarly, "Slippery When Wet" is an essential - as a Guardian review of Bon Jovi in concert famously stated, "Much better than you would care to admit".

• Agree 2

Can't really help you with NWOBM era bands, I was into the 70's classic stuff but here's some must buy albums:

Deep Purple - Machine Head
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
Boston - Boston
ACDC - Highway to Hell, High Voltage (anything from the Bonn Scott era really)
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Rush - 2112, A Farewell To Kings
Budgie - Never Turn Your Back On A Friend
Foreigner - 4
Free - Fire And Water
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy (and all the rest of them)
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced
Queen - A Night At The Opera
Rainbow - Rising
Santana - Abraxas
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Damn The Torpedoes
ZZ Top - Deguello

• Agree 5
ninjaborrower

In regards to AC/DC anything bon scott is classic apart from back in black , but im sure he wrote the lyrics to half that album

With led zep its 2,3 and 4

Melchett

I’ve seen these guys in concert. Every bit as good as the video suggests, although the support act was a bit meh, but then who do you get to support? Apocalyptica maybe?

goldbug9999

No mention of the scorpions yet, probably start with Animal Magnetism.

Blackout is a brilliant album too ..

Edited by goldbug9999
goldbug9999

Patchy output over the years but the seminal Van Halen album are "Van Halen" 

Diver Down

And 1984 ..

Which was obviously the inspiration for this (NSFW)

Edited by goldbug9999
goldbug9999

Alcatraz

Dio

Gillen Band (Mr Universe)

UFO

Micheal Shenker

Whitesnake

Oh dear how could I forget ... Saxon

Edited by goldbug9999
  • Agree 2
Melchett
2 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

Alcatraz

Dio

Gillen Band (Mr Universe)

UFO

Micheal Shenker

Whitesnake

Oh dear how could I forget ... Saxon

Saxon may have been the first hard rock/metal band I ever saw, at the Ipswich Gaumont, with Verity in support. I throughly recommend Veritys Interupted Journey. It's a superb album.

Oh, and get yourself Saxons greatest hits too.

While we're on forgotten minor Brit metal acts... Anyone else heard of Mamas Boys? They are the rock group I've seen most times live.

Melchett
11 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

@Melchett Stargazer rocks!!! B| "I see a rainbow rising"

I tend to prefer a bit of prog myself.

Yes, Im more proggy myself, but the OP asked for metal so Im trying to restrict myself to that. 

But for now let's have the second of, for want of a better term, Rainbow's 'Babylon' trilogy:

goldbug9999
5 hours ago, Melchett said:

And lest we forget, decades before The Darkness:

Tygers Of Pan Tang, with a preThin Lizzy, Whitesnake etc John Sykes:

Only the guitarist john sykes went on to have anything approaching a career.

Edited by goldbug9999