• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Imperial vs Metric

Seeing someone who shall be nameless (let's call him @man o' the year) referring to how far things are away in meters jarred as I would never do this.

Distances and heights are yards, feet and inches, longer distances miles.  Weights are stones, pounds and ounces.  Volumes are pints and gallons (generally).

The only times I use metric measures is for filling the car (I know it has a 55 litre tank) and recipes where weights and volumes are given in metric.

Other than that I don't.  Not for any point of prnciple but because it's meaningless to me to hear somebody's weight in kilos, height in metres, car speed in km/h etc.

At school weights and measures were part of chemistry so I only formally learned metric but don't relate it to real world things; it belongs in the lab and the kitchen.

Should be in the So-Called BBC arseholes thread. They're always going on about Kgs and Kms. That's when they're not measuring things in double-decker buses and blue whales. I measure the So-Called BBC in cunts per hour, usually averages at about 7C/h

Just now, whitevanman said:

Should be in the So-Called BBC arseholes thread. They're always going on about Kgs and Kms. That's when they're not measuring things in double-decker buses and blue whales. I measure the So-Called BBC in cunts per hour, usually averages at about 7C/h

And that, given quite how many cunts there are at the So-Called BBC, just goes to show that they're slackers as well.

Just now, Uptherebels said:

It puzzles me, and I admit, mildly annoys me, that people use both in this country. I don't mean that some use one, and some the other. I mean people use both. 

I use imperial for causal measurements, metric for anything that matters.

[eg, 30 mins ago I was measuring out chemical-stuff in the lab -- the fact that the catalyst was 1/100th of the weight of the monomer wasn't a problem in kg / gms, would have been a hassle to convert from lbs to oz].

3 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Bunch of reactionary old farts.  :D

I was 8 when the conversion came, so am fluent in both.

We haven't ever gone metric; the government gave up trying to impose this in 2009.

in 2009 the requirement to ultimately cease use of traditional units alongside metric units was finally removed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_the_United_Kingdom

Anything above 70 degrees is a nice day. Anything below 5 degrees is bloody cold. Anything else is just weather.

I don't really know when the imperial / metric clash in the middle of this but it works for me.

I use a mixture. I measure people, long distances (terrestrial) and beer in Imperial, everything else in metric. I don't understand ounces or fluid ounces at all - I have to convert them into metric.

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

Anything above 70 degrees is a nice day. Anything below 5 degrees is bloody cold. Anything else is just weather.

I don't really know when the imperial / metric clash in the middle of this but it works for me.

This cropped on the radio a few months ago.  We like our measures to run from 0 - 100 so daily temperatures roughly run from 0 degrees centigrade to 75 fahrenheit.

6 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Travel distance: Miles.

Peoples weight: stones + pounds.

Objects weights: kilograms + grams.

Dimensions of objects: mm + m.

Drinks: Pints.

Boobs: Handfuls.

Vaginas: Buckets.

Spot on 

I think our year at primary school was the first not to be taught imperial 

picked up the metric imperial rough conversions over the years but never really got the imperial scales 

number of inches in a mile would require a google search 

38 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Seeing someone who shall be nameless (let's call him @man o' the year) referring to how far things are away in meters jarred as I would never do this.

Distances and heights are yards, feet and inches, longer distances miles.  Weights are stones, pounds and ounces.  Volumes are pints and gallons (generally).

The only times I use metric measures is for filling the car (I know it has a 55 litre tank) and recipes where weights and volumes are given in metric.

Other than that I don't.  Not for any point of prnciple but because it's meaningless to me to hear somebody's weight in kilos, height in metres, car speed in km/h etc.

At school weights and measures were part of chemistry so I only formally learned metric but don't relate it to real world things; it belongs in the lab and the kitchen.

Ain't youa scientist? Your point makes me realise how much I have been indoctrinated. Sorry bout that.

Anyway we stayed safe in our Faraday cage till we felt able to venture out and have acloser look. One tree was burning from top to bottom.

I guess spending about a third of my life in Europe has indoctrinated me further than my schooling already did (I was made to learn quite a few conversions, the only one that didn't stick, if I ever knew it, was litres/100km which is the typical fuel economy measure of cars here)

That said, this very useful site showed me that I'm not quite as fluent in both as I thought. https://www.convert-me.com/en/

I'm pretty fluent in both (was taught both) and use them interchangably, sometimes to the frustration of a buddy I occasionally work with when I quote the length of something in imperial and width in metric. Luckily, neither of us has been called upon to build a space shuttle, hence the survival of Tim Peake (sorry about that).

We do have certain conventions though. Fencing is always Imperial, decking is always metric. Ground work is metric, timber can be either. Distance by car is miles, distance by foot is Km. Beer and meat are Imperial, chemicals are metric. Adjustments are by smidge, bit and tad.

12 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

It all changes anyway. US  dont seem to be able to decide what a gallon or a pint is.

My wife said long ago that 8 inches was not as big as she thought and nowadays I tend to agree with her!

A US gallon is 8 pints just like ours but they use ladies pints which are 16 fluid ounces as opposed to our manly 20 fluid ounce pints.

Your wife told me that four inches was way bigger than she expected B|

46 minutes ago, Malthus said:

Spot on 

I think our year at primary school was the first not to be taught imperial 

picked up the metric imperial rough conversions over the years but never really got the imperial scales 

number of inches in a mile would require a google search 

Think they still get taught imperial now? 

Kitchen: Imperial,

Laboratory: Metric

Natural World, leisure: Imperial

Natural World, work: Metric

Elevation: Metric

Distance: Imperial

and so on

Ask me to estimate the weight of a bag of nails and I'll get it to within a couple of ounces, wouldn't have a clue in metric without first converting from Imperial in my head

Ask me to estimate the weight of a chemical and I'll get to to within tens of grams, smaller amounts to withing 10s of  mg, wouldn't have a clue in Imperial without first converting from metric in my head

Edited by Hopeful