DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Cheltenham & surroundings..to buy & wet feet

MrXxxx

In a similar vein to Tdogs post on York, but for Cheltenham......it seems C just seems to increase month on month, so how long/if the prices will drop?...

...my impression for where is SE/W/NE/N, and to avoid other areas especially those towards Gloucester?...

...also, what's the history of flooding like, especially considering closeness to Severn area...any flooding in C with this recent wet spell?

Can't remember any flooding of note in Cheltenham, round Gloucester - mainly North and to East all associated with the Severn and the flood plain that it lies in. Suspect like many other towns  Londoners have ballooned prices, certainly at the top end.  

Cheltenham is surprisingly rough; Cirencester is a much nicer town.

I say this as I worked with somebody who was small, quiet and shy and did just that move for just that reason.

I lived in Gloucester: rough centre but with many nice suburbs.  Cheltenham seemed to be the reverse.

40 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I say this as I worked with somebody who was small, quiet and shy and did just that move for just that reason.

I lived in Gloucester: rough centre but with many nice suburbs.  Cheltenham seemed to be the reverse.

Cheltenham certainly has an air of all front and no nickers about it. Lots of nice villages and small towns around but some of them do have their issues - as @Sgt Hartman has mentioned a few times - think it was in reference to Stow.

10 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Cheltenham certainly has an air of all front and no nickers about it. Lots of nice villages and small towns around but some of them do have their issues - as @Sgt Hartman has mentioned a few times - think it was in reference to Stow.

Not that I've seen as it's on that TV thingie but This Country is about being dirt poor in a Cotswold village; by two people who grew up living taht life in Cirencester.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Country

We've had threads on it before but anywhere that the house prices are stratospheric results in the people who actually do the work locally (work in shops, pubs, care, maintenance) being unable to live there so you get an odd situation where everyone working there has to live somewhere else.  It's most noticeable in Cornwall in St Ives.  The houses are generally small, cramped and terraced without gardens but because of holiday letting are still highly priced.  If it carries on down the route it is going then not only will the workers not be able to live there but the wealtheir residents will also ship out leaving it as being nothing more than a seaside holiday camp; I won't divert the thread further but as an example here is a £900k 3 bed end terrace that looks to have been for sale since 2018.  

And this is the best exterior picture of it.  I wouldn't want to live there and certainly wouldn't pay £900k for it.  It's a holiday let pure and simple and that is how the whole centre of the town is going because nobody will pay those prices for a house in which to live; it's now purely about letting them out.

image.png.7fdf53a3e9c76a6a096e6b37c556acc9.png

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-70845400.html

16 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Not that I've seen as it's on that TV thingie but This Country is about being dirt poor in a Cotswold village; by two people who grew up living taht life in Cirencester.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Country

We've had threads on it before but anywhere that the house prices are stratospheric results in the people who actually do the work locally (work in shops, pubs, care, maintenance) being unable to live there so you get an odd situation where everyone working there has to live somewhere else.  It's most noticeable in Cornwall in St Ives.  The houses are generally small, cramped and terraced without gardens but because of holiday letting are still highly priced.  If it carries on down the route it is going then not only will the workers not be able to live there but the wealtheir residents will also ship out leaving it as being nothing more than a seaside holiday camp; I won't divert the thread further but as an example here is a £900k 3 bed end terrace that looks to have been for sale since 2018.  

Mad price, even £1000+  per week during peak and longer term rent over winter don't justify that pricing. Just come back from many weeks working in Cornwall. Nearly went to St Ives but couldn't be bothered parking up and getting down into town as had seen it before a few times stopping sailing down that coastline, nearly came a cropper trying to shimmy down ropes when moored up on town quay wall,  what an idiot.

St Ives, Padstow, Rock luckily still a bit of an outlier, prices much better elsewhere but as you say still no reflection local wages and seasonality of a lot of those wages.

Chewing Grass
19 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

If it carries on down the route it is going then not only will the workers not be able to live there but the wealtheir residents will also ship out leaving it as being nothing more than a seaside holiday camp

Portmeirion

https://portmeirion.wales/

26 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Mad price, even £1000+  per week during peak and longer term rent over winter don't justify that pricing. Just come back from many weeks working in Cornwall. Nearly went to St Ives but couldn't be bothered parking up and getting down into town as had seen it before a few times stopping sailing down that coastline, nearly came a cropper trying to shimmy down ropes when moored up on town quay wall,  what an idiot.

St Ives, Padstow, Rock luckily still a bit of an outlier, prices much better elsewhere but as you say still no reflection local wages and seasonality of a lot of those wages.

I didn't know what the holiday let market is like but it certainly is no longer priced as a house in which to live.  Though it is pleasing that it hasn't sold.

I genuinely wouldn't live in it so wouldn't buy it if it was £90k.  Where for starters would you park your car?

I visited Binibeca Vell in Minorca which is exactly what central St Ives is becoming.  An old fishing village in which nobody actually lives as every house and flat is a holiday let.

binibeca-003.jpg

Though in Binibeca that is actually the intention.

As whilst it looks like an old fishing village it was actually built wholesale in 1968 for just that purpose.

http://www.calamenorca.com/menorca-resorts/binibeca

It's a shame though that a genuine town is following it down that route.  It's already happened to villages on the Roseland and also to Rock.

What a boon is tourism.

26 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I didn't know what the holiday let market is like but it certainly is no longer priced as a house in which to live.  Though it is pleasing that it hasn't sold.

I visited Binibeca Vell in Minorca which is exactly what central St Ives is becoming.  An old fishing village in which nobody actually lives as every house and flat is a holiday let.

What a boon is tourism.

That place reminds of Hydra. Bet this is the same, nice place to visit mind.

Hydra-816x544.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

22 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Really FH...I am surprised...although what is rough to one is characteful to another...why I was thinking of C was its inexpensive transportation links, and being equidistant /ideally located for the southern airports yet close to all the UK National Parks and London only 2hrs away

Problem with Cirencester is the nearest rail is Kemble (6mls away),  and its property is about10-20% more expensive.

I live in Cheltenham, suits me 5 mins I'm walking on the Cotswold way, very nice areas and very rough, but they're in different parts of the town, lots going on, festivals, horse racing, good transport links. Housing expensive in the nice bits. Bit like Derby and Nottingham, Nottingham has very rough areas and Derby has good areas, most people prefer Nottingham.

where ever you live it's not a good idea to be on the lowest point around

Cirencester is a small town and too near London and the County set for me

23 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

I live in Cheltenham, suits me 5 mins I'm walking on the Cotswold way, very nice areas and very rough, but they're in different parts of the town, lots going on, festivals, horse racing, good transport links. Housing expensive in the nice bits. Bit like Derby and Nottingham, Nottingham has very rough areas and Derby has good areas, most people prefer Nottingham.

Good point about the communications links - M5 and A40, Brum and Bris an hour away.  About the right size sort of town - not so big that just driving round or through it is a PITA, like you say a few minutes and you are out of town into countryside in nearly all directions apart from the strip of land between Gloucester/Cheltenham. Also holds in reverse for all the towns and villages around, pretty easy access into centres. If had my pick somewhere up on the escarpment overlooking the whole valley would be my choice. Had a really nice flat in Duoro Rd just round from the CLC on an apprenticeship year out, doubt could afford that now in similar circumstances. Also lived in town north of Gloucester for many years, quiet(ish) but not a bad place to grow up at all. 

On 22/02/2020 at 09:28, MrXxxx said:

In a similar vein to Tdogs post on York, but for Cheltenham......it seems C just seems to increase month on month, so how long/if the prices will drop?...

...my impression for where is SE/W/NE/N, and to avoid other areas especially those towards Gloucester?...

...also, what's the history of flooding like, especially considering closeness to Severn area...any flooding in C with this recent wet spell?

https://flood-map-for-planning.service.gov.uk/

14 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

As my post above, really just the severn and flood plain associated with it, not much housing at all built along the flood plain, Gloucester bites into it a bit but not much. Very little in Cheltenham area, think the 2007 flood effectively a flash/local flood which won't really be a representative risk.

On 24/02/2020 at 08:12, ashestoashes said:

Hi AtA whats the nice areas and ones to avoid?

36 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

Hi AtA whats the nice areas and ones to avoid?

Leckhampton, Charlton Kings, Pittville and Prestbury are nice and border the countryside, Tivoli and Montpellier are best areas near the town centre

Whaddon, St Marks, St Pauls and Hesters Way are the trouble spots, though it's probably just a few people/groups that bring the area down

Bishops Cleeve, Longlevens and Churchdown are ok areas a few miles out

Archived