• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sgt Hartman

Woodburner installing.

7 hours ago, LC1 said:

Asked the guy in the timber yard if they sell their offcuts for wood stoves: "yes, it's £3 per bag, you have to bring your own bag". 

That sounds like pretty good value to me.

Reveal hidden contents

dwayne-rock-johnson-600x600.jpg

Some would say not to burn softwood (not going to be getting many hardwood offcuts from builder's merchants due to resins and potential for resin buildup. However many do burn it, Just make sure it is properly dry so that any resins will go up with the burn. Steer clear of any treated timber or manmade reconstituted board / ply. Also as long as flue kept swept and maintained you can keep an eye out for any issues and as the sweep for advice if concerned. There is free/cheap wood still out there if you go to the right places and ask the right people, you are doing them a real favour as in many cases they are being charged considerable money for its removal!

8 minutes ago, onlyme said:

There is free/cheap wood still out there if you go to the right places and ask the right people, you are doing them a real favour as in many cases they are being charged considerable money for its removal!

Good tips, cheers. 

I can't really think of where else to go looking for free wood, other than timber yards or tree surgeons. 

I've seen some of the latter advertising seasoned wood for a price, but didn't look closely at the time so can't recall if it's significantly cheaper than commercial sources. 

Skip diving? Pallets? Stealing pews from old churches? Where else? :)

22 minutes ago, LC1 said:

Good tips, cheers. 

I can't really think of where else to go looking for free wood, other than timber yards or tree surgeons. 

I've seen some of the latter advertising seasoned wood for a price, but didn't look closely at the time so can't recall if it's significantly cheaper than commercial sources. 

I'm going to take the chainsaw and the van to an isolated beach somewhere and fill it with decent driftwood. Should do the job!

Fireplace is looking good by the way!

48 minutes ago, LC1 said:

Good tips, cheers. 

Anybody involved with building with wood - manufacturers / suppliers / installers. Anybody that gets lots of large deliveries - pallet wood - place locally had huge pile they were desperate to get rid of - easier to approach smaller / private owned establishments.

On 01/01/2018 at 02:20, LC1 said:

And this is the kind of hearth style I would ideally like, flush with the floor. A simple excavation of the current concrete hearth and replace it with stone of the same depth... Or am I being naïve?! 

69dfafcc7faa333c60419b8a6807ca56--hearth

Looks very similar to mine except I have a big mantlepiece

IMG_2142.JPG

Edited by Fossildog

33 minutes ago, One percent said:

I think you installed it at the wrong angle. :)

Wondered why the coal keeps falling out! 

@spunko2010 can you look at this issue, attached a photo that was then rotated once it was uploaded

27 minutes ago, One percent said:

That’s better. The coal will stay in place now. 

See, your practical skills are coming in handy. Did you use a crowbar?

Nah, just tipped it back up the right way, no idea what he was thinking having it Iike that.

Lucky it didn't cause a fire, anyway, fixed now.

On 07/02/2018 at 05:54, Fossildog said:

IMG_2142.JPG

Very nice!

On 07/02/2018 at 07:41, One percent said:

I think you installed it at the wrong angle. :)

:D

The stove we just bought (at a massive discount!)...

oer-54_02.jpg

(Didn't get the log store legs shown, prefer the look without these)

Oooeerrr, nice, not seen them before, bit traditional for what we're looking for though.  So it is you that is helping keep British manufacturing going! 

4 hours ago, onlyme said:

Oooeerrr, nice, not seen them before, bit traditional for what we're looking for though.  So it is you that is helping keep British manufacturing going! 

Yes, a Stoke company, I believe. The RRP on this one was over £1100 because of the enamelled door (otherwise over £900), and it was in the clearance section at a big online stove seller.

It was already heavily discounted and I'm almost embarrassed to admit (but secretly proud) that I contacted them to make an offer for 20% less than they were asking, and amazingly they accepted. Free delivery too! 

My reasoning to them was that we liked the look of it but it was a complete punt as to how good a stove it would prove to be as there are virtually no reviews of it anywhere online. And we were very tempted to go for a Burley from our local stove shop who were doing a 15% off January sale. Their salesperson had already told us that they had got two from the OER rep, but almost no interest in them, hence the big discount.

Not as efficient as the Burley, but it is built like a tank and the build quality seems very good in comparison (a bit less rattly then the Burley we saw in the showroom).

Overall incredibly pleased with it so far, hoping that it is equally impressive in actual use! 

32 minutes ago, LC1 said:

Yes, a Stoke company, I believe. The RRP on this one was over £1100 because of the enamelled door (otherwise over £900), and it was in the clearance section at a big online stove seller.

It was already heavily discounted and I'm almost embarrassed to admit (but secretly proud) that I contacted them to make an offer for 20% less than they were asking, and amazingly they accepted. Free delivery too! 

My reasoning to them was that we liked the look of it but it was a complete punt as to how good a stove it would prove to be as there are virtually no reviews of it anywhere online. And we were very tempted to go for a Burley from our local stove shop who were doing a 15% off January sale. Their salesperson had already told us that they had got two from the OER rep, but almost no interest in them, hence the big discount.

Not as efficient as the Burley, but it is built like a tank and the build quality seems very good in comparison (a bit less rattly then the Burley we saw in the showroom).

Overall incredibly pleased with it so far, hoping that it is equally impressive in actual use! 

Well done! I like the look of it too. 

I got a clearview pioneer 500 installed in my current home. It was chosen after trawling reviews for many hours.

It’s on its eight winter as the main heating in my home...on 24/7 from around October to March and as required outwith those months.

No maintenance so far other than a yearly pipe sweep and check from a trusted local guy.

The glass stays clear and unmarked with an occasional wipe over with damp newspaper.

Luckily after installation I had a free source of unlimited seasoned wood for three years through my sons job. That offset installation costs.

Free wood source gone so I find smoke free coal the cheapest option. Okay not as good as free but I’m giving money to a local coal man and smoke free coal only needs the stove being fuelled 3 times in a twenty four hour period as opposed to constant fuelling with wood every two-three hours.

On 1/25/2018 at 15:30, LC1 said:

Other things are taking up my time at the moment, but I have put in some steel bars that will hold concrete blocks in order to square off the arch. 

Next I will line the sides and walls with Glasroc multiboard so that the plasterer can plaster the chimney breast before he goes. I was recommended this by the local fitter but have since seen that it is not really recommend for high temps as is a gypsum-based board and liable to crack from prolonged exposure to heat. 

That said I have seen several examples of people also being recommend this by stove shops, so I'm assuming that it will probably be fine!

Just trying to work out if I want to fit this stove myself or go the easy but expensive route...

IMG_20180124_225309813.jpg

Everything you need is here   http://www.vitcas.com/heat-resistant-materials-for-fireplaces-stoves

On 2/6/2018 at 17:16, LC1 said:

Good tips, cheers. 

Down the beach 

On 2/6/2018 at 17:02, onlyme said:

Some would say not to burn softwood (not going to be getting many hardwood offcuts from builder's merchants due to resins and potential for resin buildup. However many do burn it, Just make sure it is properly dry so that any resins will go up with the burn. Steer clear of any treated timber or manmade reconstituted board / ply. Also as long as flue kept swept and maintained you can keep an eye out for any issues and as the sweep for advice if concerned. There is free/cheap wood still out there if you go to the right places and ask the right people, you are doing them a real favour as in many cases they are being charged considerable money for its removal!

Yeah, if you could burn scrap MDF I would be quids in.

On 07/02/2018 at 05:54, Fossildog said:

IMG_2142.JPG

Don't feel insecure about your big mantelpiece, no-one looks at that whilst they're poking the fire.