• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
man o' the year

Life Insurance - what a suprise!

Our life insurance which was taken out 23 years ago is coming to an end so I looked at new policies. We currently have 2 with different companies to cover our old mortgage and have kept them on. One was level term with critical illness cover for £200k which is £101 per month. The other £200k but decreasing term, joint life only and is £25 per month. 

Anyway initial enquiries were that for 100k for 20years joint life would be about £30 per month. However as my wife had breast cancer in 2008 they would need info from doctor. It has taken about 4 months to overcome incompetency of either doctor or insurance company so that necessary information was received.

So quoted today. Now understand that we were told that my wife's risk would be back to normal after 4 years. So the quote would be a little more I thought. The quote was £216 per month.

Not much of a risk for them I think.

My LI is via a work thing.

Basic rules of insurance apply - if you are unlikely to need it, its cheap.

If you mightt need it, its costly.

My dads older than my mum. Depsite never really working, my mum decided theyd travel a bit more when she retired.

However ... my dads a chronic health condition and over 75. The preiobud time my mum took out TI its was afew 10s of £.

Now they are both over 65, one with condition, I think the last TI quote they got was a several100.

'I think we'll holiday in the UK* now, spy' she said.

* - its not a massive crimp on her style. She'll only go to places where she can speak English and where she's been before. Malta again mum?

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

My LI is via a work thing.

Basic rules of insurance apply - if you are unlikely to need it, its cheap.

If you mightt need it, its costly.

My dads older than my mum. Depsite never really working, my mum decided theyd travel a bit more when she retired.

However ... my dads a chronic health condition and over 75. The preiobud time my mum took out TI its was afew 10s of £.

Now they are both over 65, one with condition, I think the last TI quote they got was a several100.

'I think we'll holiday in the UK* now, spy' she said.

* - its not a massive crimp on her style. She'll only go to places where she can speak English and where she's been before. Malta again mum?

For travel insurance for US trip I shopped around and Tesco had one which considered the cancer back only a few years so answer became a "no". We are paying £157 for 4 of us for 2 weeks. This is (as my wife pointed out to my shame today) our first family holiday in 11 years so no pint going for longer cover.  Mind you we are planninga trip to Japan next year.