Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Long fasts


sarahbell
 Share

Recommended Posts

What do you mean by long?

Every day I go 24hrs between eating as I only eat once a day.

But I can go 2 days if I feel particularly sluggish and I've eaten some carbtastic feast. Usually takes a good couple of days before I feel back to normal.

I think the most I've ever gone is 4 days maybe (when well - I've definitely gone 6 days when I've had stomach flu or food poisoning), but there's no way I could do that now with the mileage I put into my running shoes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

What do you mean by long?

Every day I go 24hrs between eating as I only eat once a day.

But I can go 2 days if I feel particularly sluggish and I've eaten some carbtastic feast. Usually takes a good couple of days before I feel back to normal.

I think the most I've ever gone is 4 days maybe (when well - I've definitely gone 6 days when I've had stomach flu or food poisoning), but there's no way I could do that now with the mileage I put into my running shoes.

Yes, I do 24hrs between meals usually as I only eat once a day in the evening. Unless very hungry in which case I do snack in the afternoon.  But I don't think I have been to bed without eating. That's the biggest hurdle for me! Also i tend to drink coffee all day and have quite a big slug of full fat milk in it hence I am getting sustenance from the milk.

Today I am on herbal tea only (no milk)  - and am starting to feel a bit peckish!

Will take the dogs for an hour's walk before sunset and might have a bath as a distraction after that.  Then it might get tough!

Would love to hear from others how they do this and for how long.

Is it easier or harder to know that food is on-hand?  I know that starving ppl (in an involuntary situation) tend to fantasise about meals. But knowing you have access to food forces the will power work harder?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Longest I've done is 3 days.  Once you're used to fasting the only difficulty is boredom, since you have to find something to do during the gap in your routine when you'd normally be eating and not be derailed by the thought of how pleasurable eating would be.

That time I did the first 24 hours as a dry fast, so no water either.  Just had two espressos to avoid caffeine withdrawal.

 

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

swiss_democracy_for_all

I do fairly regular 24h, and have twice done 48h. Have to drink loads as dehydration kills me, get muscle spasms. Can't say I like fasting all that much but I feel good the next day.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was going to start this thread a few weeks back. I've done quite a few 24 hour fasts and a 40 hour fast. To be honest I felt like shit after the 40 hour fast so I've eased back on it and am only fasting as long as I find easy. Fasting is a bit harder for me because I'm on synthetic anti-diuretic hormone so can't just have a drink when I'm hungry or I run the risk of water intoxication. I also can't just not take my meds and drink like a fish all day because I'll piss out all my sodium doing that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also what do you mean by "fasts". Not eating at all, eating only during certain hours?

As per other thread, I have been doing calorie restriction, not eating except between 11am and 6pm. And when I do eat, it's healthy / less amounts... Not sure if that's considered 'fasting' but I'm the lightest I've been for about 10 years.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, spunko said:

Also what do you mean by "fasts". Not eating at all, eating only during certain hours?

As per other thread, I have been doing calorie restriction, not eating except between 11am and 6pm. And when I do eat, it's healthy / less amounts... Not sure if that's considered 'fasting' but I'm the lightest I've been for about 10 years.

Open for discussion! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

swiss_democracy_for_all
13 minutes ago, spunko said:

Also what do you mean by "fasts". Not eating at all, eating only during certain hours?

As per other thread, I have been doing calorie restriction, not eating except between 11am and 6pm. And when I do eat, it's healthy / less amounts... Not sure if that's considered 'fasting' but I'm the lightest I've been for about 10 years.

I just eat a big breakfast then nothing but black tea or water until the following breakfast. I get a weak spell (slow(er!) brain ) between about 4 in the afternoon and 8 pm. I sleep very well fasted, better than I do full, but waking up is tricky, it's good to have some coconut water handy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My progress today - about to go to bed and not feeling too hungry! 😊

Had herbal tea (as/when desired) then (as I expected) wobbled about 8pm at which point I had  2 hard boiled eggs & a large pink lady apple.  (Much less than I would normally have in a day and I did a walk of over 1hr.)

Main difference (apart from much less food) was no milk. I usually have coffee all day as desired with a lot of full fat milk which sustains me. So just having herbal tea I expected to feel much more empty.

Will see how I feel tomorrow. (Will I continue my 'fast' or will I have a milky coffee?!)

Quite pleased with today least. (And takes one's mind off the threat of a world pandemic?!)

Bonne nuit all!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Turned Out Nice Again

I just came off an 85 hour water fast about 10 days ago. The longest I've done is 7 days but this last one was particularly gruelling for some reason, maybe because my %BF was already low. I had all the symptoms: tiredness, headaches, feeling faint, brain fog and raging hunger up to day 2. At the end though, they subsided and I felt like I could have kept going.

EDIT: Yes, I did feel like a million dollars afterwards and I think I like food too much to end up with an eating disorder - what does that even mean? Surely not occasional fasting, whatever the duration (within reason).

Edited by Turned Out Nice Again
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

I just came off an 85 hour water fast about 10 days ago. The longest I've done is 7 days but this last one was particularly gruelling for some reason, maybe because my %BF was already low. I had all the symptoms: tiredness, headaches, feeling faint, brain fog and raging hunger up to day 2. At the end though, they ubsided and I felt like I could have kept going.

Water only fasts of that length must take an awful lot of will power, so well done you. But i imagine the buzz from having done it must feel you feel really good afterwards?

Any increased danger of an eating disorder appearing if you felt that you could just keep going? 

Guess like in other areas of self discipline (eg exercising) there will always be some ppl who are primed to take it too far for their own good ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, whocares said:

Yes, I do 24hrs between meals usually as I only eat once a day in the evening. Unless very hungry in which case I do snack in the afternoon.  But I don't think I have been to bed without eating. That's the biggest hurdle for me! Also i tend to drink coffee all day and have quite a big slug of full fat milk in it hence I am getting sustenance from the milk.

Today I am on herbal tea only (no milk)  - and am starting to feel a bit peckish!

Will take the dogs for an hour's walk before sunset and might have a bath as a distraction after that.  Then it might get tough!

Would love to hear from others how they do this and for how long.

Is it easier or harder to know that food is on-hand?  I know that starving ppl (in an involuntary situation) tend to fantasise about meals. But knowing you have access to food forces the will power work harder?

 

I'm with you. Ill try a 24hr fast tommorrow. Last ate at 6pm this evening, so next meal at 6. Fairly active day tomm so it may be tough later on. I'll be drinking coffee I expect. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

swiss_democracy_for_all
4 hours ago, Byron said:

WHY?????

Lots of health benefits to fasting, they’re very widely documented now. A bit of googling will reveal all. 

Unfortunately I don’t think fasting will save us from Covid19. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Lots of health benefits to fasting, they’re very widely documented now. A bit of googling will reveal all. 

Unfortunately I don’t think fasting will save us from Covid19. 

 

Oh no!!! 

Re my own trial fast, slept really well but didn't fancy my herbal tea this morning. Would have loved my usual milky strong coffee!

Mild headache now. Caffeine withdrawal?

Just had a 2nd apple. So have cheated with a total of 2 apples and 2 boiled eggs.

Planning to go back to normal eating this evening.  That'll be a bit less than 48 hrs but basically a 2 day fast.

If nothing else positive, it makes you appreciate more the little things in life?

Health comes before everything of course. 

This approaching Covid-19 situation is like a major exam coming up and we are not sure whether we shd keep cramming or go with the ...relax, you have done all your can, it's too late now anyway, iacta alea est. 🙄

10 hours ago, Green Devil said:

I'm with you. Ill try a 24hr fast tommorrow. Last ate at 6pm this evening, so next meal at 6. Fairly active day tomm so it may be tough later on. I'll be drinking coffee I expect. 

Black coffee I hope?! 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, spunko said:

Also what do you mean by "fasts". Not eating at all, eating only during certain hours?

As per other thread, I have been doing calorie restriction, not eating except between 11am and 6pm. And when I do eat, it's healthy / less amounts... Not sure if that's considered 'fasting' but I'm the lightest I've been for about 10 years.

For me fasting is an extended period of not eating or drinking any calories. Water is fine, black coffee and herbal tea and nothing else. 

What you want is to stop the digestive process to allow the body to enter a process of repair.

Evidence suggests 72 hours is the magic spot and benefits diminish past that. So effectively 2 days clear of food. But that’s tough for most people. 

But there is also plenty of evidence that even shorter periods as you mention there are equally beneficial (although not in the same way).So I wouldn’t consider that fasting in that sense you won’t be getting the benefit of for want of a better term ‘real’ fasting, but it’s still beneficial as you know. 

Basically its a two prong approach, calorie restriction and time for the body to focus on repair processes.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very impressive, folks. :) The most I have managed was around 16 or 17 hours. Big dinner on a Sunday and then breakfast on a Monday morning. A lot tastier after that fast, let me tell you. 

I remember back in middle school in the late 1980s my Deputy Head ran an assembly on the subject of breakfast and why it's called that. "We fast!" Being the immature 10 or 11 year olds who found anything relating to sex or bodily functions very funny, my classmates and I pretended that he said "We fart!". He shot us a deep stare that made us stop giggling and wiped the grins from our faces without a word. Saved us getting dragged up the front, facing the wall and having to sit cross legged while the teacher droned on. The ex military Headmaster did that quite often. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, spunko said:

Also what do you mean by "fasts". Not eating at all, eating only during certain hours?

As per other thread, I have been doing calorie restriction, not eating except between 11am and 6pm. And when I do eat, it's healthy / less amounts... Not sure if that's considered 'fasting' but I'm the lightest I've been for about 10 years.

Iv started doing that.Not every day but iv started having my evening meal around 7pm and then nothing until 12pm the next day,sometimes a bit later.I try to have 16 hours without food 5 times a week.I also take Reveratrol and a few other supplement on a morning.Im just shy of 50 but bod looks in good knick,little bit on stomach still,but not much and i reckon that will go as i walk a lot more come spring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, whocares said:

Oh no!!! 

Re my own trial fast, slept really well but didn't fancy my herbal tea this morning. Would have loved my usual milky strong coffee!

Mild headache now. Caffeine withdrawal?

Just had a 2nd apple. So have cheated with a total of 2 apples and 2 boiled eggs.

Planning to go back to normal eating this evening.  That'll be a bit less than 48 hrs but basically a 2 day fast.

If nothing else positive, it makes you appreciate more the little things in life?

Health comes before everything of course. 

This approaching Covid-19 situation is like a major exam coming up and we are not sure whether we shd keep cramming or go with the ...relax, you have done all your can, it's too late now anyway, iacta alea est. 🙄

Black coffee I hope?! 

The headache is probably electrolytes. Eat some salt.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...