DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The Coronavirus Prepper Thread

JoeDavola

A thread to add prepper items to, with the aim of coming up with a reasonably sensible prepper list.

So what do we have so far...

- Nutrient / calorie dense food examples that have a decent shelf life.

- Water

- A good multi-vitimin perhaps

- What about stuff from the pharmacy?

EDIT: found this on Google:

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2020/02/what-survivalists-say-youll-need-in-case-of-a-coronavirus-outbreak.html

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 1

The Top 100 Items to Disappear First:

https://survivalcache.com/top-100-items-to-dissappear-first/

The New Top 100

https://1776patriotusa.com/new-first-100-things-disappear-shtf/

This site is loads of fun:

http://seasonedcitizenprepper.com/

:) America! Fuck, Yeah! (very twitchy, most Americans, and the nicest people in the world when they aren't exchanging gunfire.) Have a Nice Day! :)

Edited by Conniption
  • Agree 4
  • Cheers 1

A bike or ebike and maybe a trailer might be useful. When you see videos of Wuhan, you still see people making journeys by bike.

This might be useful if your shop is far away, and the busses aren't running, and car journeys are banned. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, 201p said:

If you can't ride a bike, then an "old lady" shopping trolley is handy.

This was actually used by myself when it last snowed, and there were no snow plows around or roads gritted.

This one is very butch, wish I had one, actually:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-Green-Garden-Trolley-Wagon-Truck-Hand-Carts-Wheelbarrows-PVC-Canvas/383021959080?hash=item592de347a8:g:YBQAAOSwB3JdEMg6

The trouble with these folding hand carts is if you have more than one stop to make and shops begin to ban them, you will need a partner to stand guard outside since they are not exactly secure. Still better than lugging eight shopping bags home, though.

Just now, Conniption said:

This one is very butch, wish I had one, actually:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-Green-Garden-Trolley-Wagon-Truck-Hand-Carts-Wheelbarrows-PVC-Canvas/383021959080?hash=item592de347a8:g:YBQAAOSwB3JdEMg6

The trouble with these folding hand carts is if you have more than one stop to make and shops begin to ban them, you will need a partner to stand guard outside since they are not exactly secure. Still better than lugging eight shopping bags home, though.

Seen those used at the car boot - I think I'd only use the shops to top up rather than bulk buy when the time comes. I don't want to draw attention, and would want to go to the shops to gauge sentiment and just for the social interaction, like when it last snowed.

• Agree 1

I noticed when there was some supply disruptions with the snow a couple of years back that it was milk and bread that disappeared fast from the local shops.

Flour and yeast were still easy enough to get though, so learning how to make bread seems a good idea. Even without yeast you can make a basic unleavened bread in a frying pan easy enough.

• Agree 3

Tomorrow is pancake day - the last day, of the big feast, before the 40 fasting days of Lent. 

Jesus fasted 40 days and nights in the desert. Satan came and tried to temp him. 

Maybe it is fitting!

Edited by 201p
  • Agree 7
  • Informative 1

The Masked Tulip

People need to forget their cossetted Western health shopping IMPO and move quickly back to things which are very unfashionable and looked down upon - tinned and dry goods. A 1970's and earlier UK diet in many respects.

Fill your freezer by all means but then focus on tinned meats - ham, corned beef - and tinned fish such as sardines, mackerel. Then tinned veg and lots of dried rice, pasta and dehydrated potatoes - mash.

Don't forget coffee, tea, dried milk of some sort and also bottles of squash that you can dilute rather than cartons of juice (unless you can find long use by dates.).

• Agree 6

17 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

I noticed when there was some supply disruptions with the snow a couple of years back that it was milk and bread that disappeared fast from the local shops.

Yes, never quite understood that.... I imagine people sitting at home eating their milk sandwiches, waiting for the snow to melt.

1 minute ago, Snark said:

Yes, never quite understood that.... I imagine people sitting at home eating their milk sandwiches, waiting for the snow to melt.

It was mental. What I took from it was that I need to plan for the secondary effects of the bizarre consequences of other people's reaction to events as much (if not more) as I need to plan for the events themselves.

• Agree 4

The Masked Tulip
4 minutes ago, Snark said:

Those of a certain age can remember the 70's when we had one union after another holding the country to ransom. Amongst them there was, IIRC, at least one milk strike and one bread strike.

I can remember being about 7 or 8, passing the local baker and seeing a queue form for bread. Something in me realised that something was up and I popped in to buy a loaf of bread - I can see it now. Pence it cost. When I got home with it my Mum was very pleased as the news had just been on the radio that there was going to be a bread strike.

I can't remember why local bakerys were affected - probably just the power of the unions back in those days. Ah yes, if the big bread factories closed then it put a strain on the local ones. Nevertheless, the following day the local bakery was closed and remained so for a week I think.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

@Conniption supping hot ground ginger and honey, AAAAAAAAA***********

to be fair I can hardly taste the honey, getting a right kick from the ginger :Jumping:

gonna give up coffee now ;)

57 minutes ago, 201p said:

A bike or ebike and maybe a trailer might be useful. When you see videos of Wuhan, you still see people making journeys by bike.

This might be useful if your shop is far away, and the busses aren't running, and car journeys are banned. 

And machete holsters for your bike.....

1 minute ago, confused said:

@Conniption supping hot ground ginger and honey, AAAAAAAAA*********** to be fair I can hardly taste the honey, getting a right kick from the ginger :Jumping:

You have just taken your first step into a larger world, young jedi. From this point on, everything changes :)

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Conniption said:

You have just taken your first step into a larger world, young jedi. From this point on, everything changes :)

Ha I wish I was a young jedi (all those brainwashed consumers I once knew :P).........Yoda says 'To LEARN we must first UNLEARN'.......tis a rocky road to travel......n'est ce pas?....

Good luck citizen!!

Can’t believe I’m doing this but I’m just buying stuff I usually eat

Today I bought 4kg of rice, 2kg oats, 10 rolls of toilet paper, 6 cans of tuna, tooth paste

on Friday I’ll be buying about 4kg of meat

i think I’ll be doing this daily or every 48 hours until it’s confirmed that this virus is just the Flu

What I really need is money

to be honest I’m pretty bummed because I can’t see how this isn’t going to destroy supply chains in the next few weeks, which means I won’t get paid

• Agree 4

The Masked Tulip
2 minutes ago, AQUAMAN said:

Today I bought 4kg of rice, 2kg oats, 10 rolls of toilet paper, 6 cans of tuna, tooth paste

i think I’ll be doing this daily or every 48 hours until it’s confirmed that this virus is just the Flu

to be honest I’m pretty bummed because I can’t see how this isn’t going to destroy supply chains in the next few weeks, which means I won’t get paid

On the bright side, you are simply buying food in advance which you will inevitably eat. Try not to go too much into prepper mode re buying things that you think you should buy for the end of the world rather than food that you like and will eventually eat.

Last week I almost bought a year's supply of gluten-free oats (Yep, oats are supposed to be gf already.) but then remembered how much I hate porridge.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, AQUAMAN said:

There's your answer right there :P

Joking apart re supply chains, can't see how this isn't going to have an impact for the rest of the year, maybe beyond.....China supplies so much......Italy is a big supplier of fruit........think they specialize in various other bits n bobs too....crash helmets spring to mind.......actually good point need a crash helmet on list!!xD

Edited by confused

21 minutes ago, confused said:

Yoda says 'To LEARN we must first UNLEARN'.......tis a rocky road to travel......n'est ce pas?....

I think that is why we meet here on this Dosboddian dimensional plane.

Good luck citizen!!

Same to you, sovereign soul.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

On the bright side, you are simply buying food in advance which you will inevitably eat. Try not to go too much into prepper mode re buying things that you think you should buy for the end of the world rather than food that you like and will eventually eat.

Last week I almost bought a year's supply of gluten-free oats (Yep, oats are supposed to be gf already.) but then remembered how much I hate porridge.

Wake up, mix oats with soy milk, 90 seconds in microwave, dollop of honey, stir, slice a banana on top.....wash down with strong cup of filter coffee, ready for action! ;)

• Agree 1

Fully Detached

Disappointing that after nearly a page of responses on prepping for an unexpected virus that originated in China, nobody has made a joke about "supplies!" yet.

Is it so wrong?

Edited by Fully Detached
  • Agree 3
  • Lol 3

29 minutes ago, AQUAMAN said:

That's the best plan of all

Whatever way it works out, flu/no flu/disrupted supply chains and the resultant skyrocketing in prices, you win tomorrow because you are making an investment today.

Then think barter-able items as well. The price of any booze is going sky-high. Toilet paper, sanitary products and disposable nappies will most likely become unobtainable in favour of food on whatever trucks are still running the gauntlet.

Edited by Conniption
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

11 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

Disappointing that after nearly a page of responses on prepping for an unexpected virus that originated in China, nobody has made a joke about "supplies!" yet.

Is it so wrong?

I was gonna but it was 2:30 where I live so I had to go to the dentist......

• Agree 2
  • Lol 2