DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

impact of C virus on student numbers?

MrXxxx

This got me thinking, so here are the numbers:

Total UK students-2.2M

Total non-EU-350,000

Of these:

Chinese-35%

Indian-10%

Hong Kong-5%

Malaysia-5%

Rest of World (inc USA)-40%

So if Cvirus quarantine measures meant a 50% loss of students (based on £20k pa average) this would equate to a loss of £3.5b pa in just student fees!

On 28/02/2020 at 08:10, MrXxxx said:

This got me thinking, so here are the numbers:

Total UK students-2.2M

Total non-EU-350,000

Of these:

Chinese-35%

Indian-10%

Hong Kong-5%

Malaysia-5%

Rest of World (inc USA)-40%

So if Cvirus quarantine measures meant a 50% loss of students (based on £20k pa average) this would equate to a loss of £3.5b pa in just student fees!

Hmm, I see your point.

We must expand the student loan to all non UK students.

We can work with their tax authorities to reclaim he tax back ...

8 hours ago, spygirl said:

We must expand the student loan to all non UK students

Just trying to work out if you are going to be the next Labour or Conservative PM!

8 hours ago, spygirl said:

We can work with their tax authorities to reclaim he tax back ...

What you mean in the same way we reclaim NHS charges?

Green Devil
11 hours ago, spygirl said:

Hmm, I see your point.

We must expand the student loan to all non UK students.

We can work with their tax eauthorities to reclaim he tax back ...

Why not. We already provide loans to EU students. Come over here get your degree and let UK Plc pay for it. 

There will be no impact on student numbers as they are already here. They may even decide to stay on and prolong higher education by way of a masters or phd (presuming those routes are open to foreign students) if China and the far east remains a basket case and the west somehow avoids the worst of it. 

9 hours ago, BoSon said:

There will be no impact on student numbers as they are already here. They may even decide to stay on and prolong higher education by way of a masters or phd (presuming those routes are open to foreign students) if China and the far east remains a basket case and the west somehow avoids the worst of it. 

But what about the new cohort?...maybe China won't let them out or the UK might not let them in?

sancho panza
15 hours ago, MrXxxx said:

Looks as though I was not the only one `thinking along these lines`...maybe I should have been a journo? :-)

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&source=android-browser&q=uk+university+covid+guardian

The black hole will be even bigger given the amount of student halls the unis have been building.I understand they've used partners in mnay instances but still.......lot of empty beds looming.

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

The black hole will be even bigger given the amount of student halls the unis have been building.I understand they've used partners in mnay instances but still.......lot of empty beds looming.

But I think here local authorities/planning will `bend the rules` and let Unis let spare capacity to the open market; currently unis are given planning exemptions for student accommodation that private/hotels cannot get...can you imagine a local authority not doing so and forsaking local growth, retail recession, and a loss of council tax (that students don't pay)?