DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Checking thread size, pitch, taper etc

Ash4781b

I have taken apart a device  (sodastream device for a beer keg project) and there are screwed components  that have an unknown thread size. Note this isn’t anyway related to disassembly of the co2 bottle (explosive ) just the plastic machine. Is there an easy way to get the thread pitch, taper, size etc other than calipers etc. I don’t have a manual but suspect it will be metric. Sort of looks around 8mm npt ?

I don’t have calipers.

Edited by Ash4781b

reformed nice guy
  • 1 month later...
On 29/02/2020 at 09:05, Ash4781b said:

I have taken apart a device  (sodastream device for a beer keg project) and there are screwed components  that have an unknown thread size. Note this isn’t anyway related to disassembly of the co2 bottle (explosive ) just the plastic machine. Is there an easy way to get the thread pitch, taper, size etc other than calipers etc. I don’t have a manual but suspect it will be metric. Sort of looks around 8mm npt ?

I don’t have calipers.

I have used printed 1 to 1 scale sheets with the silhouette of common fitting sizes on, from parker. Helps somewhat for hydraulic. JIC, NPT, BSP etc. Don't know if you can find the likes for whatever you're needing. Probably a bit late now as well. 

Long time lurking
On 29/02/2020 at 08:05, Ash4781b said:

way to get the thread pitch, taper

If it`s tapered it will probably be NPT or BSP  there are parallel and tapered in both

But being such an item it may be a thread the manufacture created to keep you buying there Co2 bottles if it`s the tread  they screw into 

Long time lurking
5 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Hydraulic pipes are even more hilarious than motor threads.

NPT  /BSP parallel/tapered then zee Germans complicated it with metric , with the caveat they are  all sized on the ID of the pipe not the thread diameter/ size 

Dash system makes it easy 

Edited by Long time lurking

Just now, Long time lurking said:

NPT  /BSP parallel/tapered them zee Germans complicated it with metric , with the caveat they are  all sized on the ID of the pipe not the thread diameter/ size 

Dash system makes it easy 

Don't torture me. I'm the electrical guy.

20 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

If it`s tapered it will probably be NPT or BSP  there are parallel and tapered in both

But being such an item it may be a thread the manufacture created to keep you buying there Co2 bottles if it`s the tread  they screw into 

Thanks. I tried a W21.8 fitting as that is I think the EU co2 fit and it was close but not quite. Standard bottles are fitted into a bushing but  16g unthreaded so those are standard fit. I just thought they would have used standard co2 and fitted the bushing to bring it down to whatever 16g cartridges are. 

4 hours ago, Poseidon said:

I have used printed 1 to 1 scale sheets with the silhouette of common fitting sizes on, from parker. Helps somewhat for hydraulic. JIC, NPT, BSP etc. Don't know if you can find the likes for whatever you're needing. Probably a bit late now as well. 

Cheers. I dug this out so going through. Is it like the tool in the link ?

https://www.swagelok.com/downloads/webcatalogs/en/MS-13-77.pdf

Long time lurking
8 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

Thanks. I tried a W21.8 fitting as that is I think the EU co2 fit and it was close but not quite. Standard bottles are fitted into a bushing but  16g unthreaded so those are standard fit. I just thought they would have used standard co2 and fitted the bushing to bring it down to whatever 16g cartridges are. 

Cheers. I dug this out so going through. Is it like the tool in the link ?

https://www.swagelok.com/downloads/webcatalogs/en/MS-13-77.pdf

I take it is for the bottle ? if so the chances are they are using a non standard pitch to keep you tied to their bottles