• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

BBC rich list

WTF do we need highly-paid celebrity presenters on the Beeb for? Give new people a chance, pay them a sensible amount. If they're no good, get someone else! If they scoot to commercial channels, so be it, there are literally millions of people who would queue up to audition for the jobs as they became free!

1 minute ago, swissy_fit said:

WTF do we need highly-paid celebrity presenters on the Beeb for? Give new people a chance, pay them a sensible amount. If they're no good, get someone else! If they scoot to commercial channels, so be it, there are literally millions of people who would queue up to audition for the jobs as they became free!

Or replaced by a text-tospeech program..

Seriously. get a ciomputer to read out stuff. Put the shitters up the newsreaders.

2 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I don't like a lot of these people and don't watch TV much so have no contact with them. I don't mind the So-Called BBC paying market rates - a quick glance at this suggests they're underpaying if anything. Example: Steve Wright on R2 being paid £500k a year, but if you compare that to how much a US based DJ such as Howard Stern or someone earns in the private sector it's a pittance.

What I object to is being forced to pay for all of this under threat of court action.

Market Rates? To my mind a market rate should only be high when , for example, very very few other people could do the job. I loathe Lewis Hamilton, but..... you get the picture. What is a market rate exactly in this case? 

These are jobs many, many people could do, they'd make a few errors with new presenters but as long as they were quick and ruthless with the failures, it wouldn't matter. It would save many many millions.

Just now, swissy_fit said:

Market Rates? To my mind a market rate should only be high when , for example, very very few other people could do the job. I loathe Lewis Hamilton, but..... you get the picture. What is a market rate exactly in this case? 

These are jobs many, many people could do, they'd make a few errors with new presenters but as long as they were quick and ruthless with the failures, it wouldn't matter. It would save many many millions.

Well, using the example of Steve Wright his afternoon show is one of the most widely listened to in the UK and has been for about 15 years.

22 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Why is Claudia Winkelman paid more than Tess Daly?

Tess is infinitely more attractive and has much bigger tits.

Tess is vacuous and can't work on her own.  Winkelman is quite clever and can hold a show on her own.  

[not that I've seen that much of either, but I do watch evening TV on occasion]

Edited by dgul

Just now, dgul said:

Tess is vacuous and can't work on her own.  Winkelman is quite clever and can hold a show on her own.  

I dont intend on Tess 'working' on her own. Ill be joiniing her.

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

I don't mind Steve Wright, not a huge fan, but to argue others could do his job is a bit silly. Yes, granted, anyone who can open their mouth can be a DJ but there is only one 'Steve Wright'.

I think thiers 2 or 3 now, hes put a lot of weight on.

9 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I don't like a lot of these people and don't watch TV much so have no contact with them. I don't mind the So-Called BBC paying market rates - a quick glance at this suggests they're underpaying if anything. Example: Steve Wright on R2 being paid £500k a year, but if you compare that to how much a US based DJ such as Howard Stern or someone earns in the private sector it's a pittance.

What I object to is being forced to pay for all of this under threat of court action.

Market rates being the operative word.

the So-Called BBC are not operating as a company in a market at all.

Just now, spunko2010 said:

I don't mind Steve Wright, not a huge fan, but to argue others could do his job is a bit silly. Yes, granted, anyone who can open their mouth can be a DJ but there is only one 'Steve Wright'.

There are a few exceptions, some presenting jobs are harder than others, radio is difficult to do well. But take a look at a lot of the other jobs - they're incredibly simple, just require a certain confidence, coherent speech patterns  and reasonable appearance, about 10% of the population so that's 7 million, could do them. 

Why do we need Gary Lineker, he's a total tool!

2 minutes ago, onlyme said:

They are setting the market rate and ITV then has to pay over it to attract them.

If every single one of these had their salary halved tomorrow very few of them would leave because there is nobody else looking to employ them.

They're actually talking about it with shock on the So-Called BBC local radio at the moment. Lineker and McEnroe singled out because of how little work they do for it.

They can't have got the memo!

(from various hints over the years I get the impression that the local radio people are paid a pittance)

2 minutes ago, onlyme said:

They have a massively unfair advantage in many areas.

e.g try googling a recipe without multiple BBC results on page one.

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

They are setting the market rate and ITV then has to pay over it to attract them.

If every single one of these had their salary halved tomorrow very few of them would leave because there is nobody else looking to employ them.

Even if they did, how hard would they be, really, to replace? 

Just now, swissy_fit said:

Even if they did, how hard would they be, really, to replace? 

With rare exceptions not at all. Pretty much any articulate person can comfortably present something lightweight like The One Show for example or read the news.

Real talent is much rarer. Terry Wogan was a star and, whilst he's not my cup of tea, I recognise that the aforementioned Steve Wright is also a talent.

Add in people who can effortlessly fill gaps such as you get in sporting events: Sue Barker, Claire Balding.

And I would say people who carry a whole popular show by themselves: Graham Norton, Jonathan Ross.

Beyond that I'm running out for staffers; writers and actors being employed for particular shows.