• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Well surely we need this thread?

I've currently got a 12g Browning 525 and a nice PCP .22 air rifle. I might soon add some form of bow to the armoury but that's not high on the priority list right now. I only shoot sporting clays and targets; nothing needs to die for me to have a good time. But I do partly practice with a view to being able to feed myself if I ever needed to.

Anyone else?

Trapping is much more effective than shooting for small game, I can place a trap and get a grey squirrel less than 20 minutes (they are food obsessed to the point of negligence) shooting them is challenging to say the least.

In a country of 60 million plus human beings there won't be much left to eat once the shit starts and you wouldn't last 5hrs as a stranger in the countryside out of town.

I'd stay in the area you know and eat everyones abandoned pets until everything calms down, womens/kiddies pet horses would be top of the list for big game, I'd use your shotgun on them and invite the neighbours round before the meat goes off.

5 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Trapping is much more effective than shooting for small game, I can place a trap and get a grey squirrel less than 20 minutes (they are food obsessed to the point of negligence) shooting them is challenging to say the least.

In a country of 60 million plus human beings there won't be much left to eat once the shit starts and you wouldn't last 5hrs as a stranger in the countryside out of town.

I'd stay in the area you know and eat everyones abandoned pets until everything calms down, womens/kiddies pet horses would be top of the list for big game, I'd use your shotgun on them and invite the neighbours round before the meat goes off.

This just demonstrates that, even come the apocalypse, punctuation will still be essential. Are you eating the women, their kids or their pet horses? Equally, how do you know when your neighbours have 'gone off' ? Mine don't have a use by date or even a barcode. 

I think this may well be the episode of dinner dates that none of us want to watch.

Come the apocalypse game will run out very quickly and is not easy to store anyway.  It is easy and inexpensive to create a stash of dried and canned food that will last for years.  Save your ammo for defense and barter.  Bullets will be the new gold.  I have 12g shotguns and a semi auto 20 clip 22 with a telescopic sight.  I like 22 'cos the ammo is cheap and more likely to be trade goods.  Shotgun is good for close range especially a double barreled one.  That second shot is instant.  A couple a hundred slugs would probably come in handy as well as regular shot.  Best survival strategy in my opinion is to be a member of a group.  Your mates are your biggest asset.   A wood-stove and a well are pretty much essential.   My 2¢.    btw I really don't believe it will ever happen but the expense of being prepared, just in case, is actually pretty small and it makes me feel good. 

4 hours ago, Snow bird said:

Come the apocalypse game will run out very quickly and is not easy to store anyway.  It is easy and inexpensive to create a stash of dried and canned food that will last for years.  Save your ammo for defense and barter.  Bullets will be the new gold.  I have 12g shotguns and a semi auto 20 clip 22 with a telescopic sight.  I like 22 'cos the ammo is cheap and more likely to be trade goods.  Shotgun is good for close range especially a double barreled one.  That second shot is instant.  A couple a hundred slugs would probably come in handy as well as regular shot.  Best survival strategy in my opinion is to be a member of a group.  Your mates are your biggest asset.   A wood-stove and a well are pretty much essential.   My 2¢.    btw I really don't believe it will ever happen but the expense of being prepared, just in case, is actually pretty small and it makes me feel good. 

I take it you're in the US? I looked at getting a firearms certificate years ago, but it's so much hassle and I didn't think I'd get enough enjoyment out of it to justify all the grief.

My comment about being able to feed myself really related to being able to go out and bag the odd pigeon or rabbit if ever buying meat was difficult or prohibitively expensive. I shoot targets and clays for fun, with the bonus that it might be a useful skill to have if ever it was needed. Obviously they're different disciplines to real hunting, but there's enough similarity to give an advantage over not practising at all.

I have got a brilliant, but hideously unwieldy home made night vision set up on my air rifle, for when I have a rat problem in my chicken run. It's very effective though.

15 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Not much meat on a small child, probably a lot of fat and grisle on an English one too. Not sure I would turn to canabalism as a first choice. Near where I live in Grenoble someone is eating pet cats at the moment.

10 minutes ago, davidg said:

Not much meat on a small child, probably a lot of fat and grisle on an English one too. Not sure I would turn to canabalism as a first choice. Near where I live in Grenoble someone is eating pet cats at the moment.

Does this "someone" have any good recipes to share?

3 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

Does this "someone" have any good recipes to share?

No it was in the local paper, they've found the bbq remains of Mr Tiddles and co. in the local park. I don't fancy cat myself, carrion isn't great but I guess anything that works for Crow would be ok. Apparently the Swiss are fond of a bit of pussy munching and the police suspect it is a Genevois.

Edited by davidg

3 hours ago, Fully Detached said:

I take it you're in the US? I looked at getting a firearms certificate years ago, but it's so much hassle and I didn't think I'd get enough enjoyment out of it to justify all the grief.

My comment about being able to feed myself really related to being able to go out and bag the odd pigeon or rabbit if ever buying meat was difficult or prohibitively expensive. I shoot targets and clays for fun, with the bonus that it might be a useful skill to have if ever it was needed. Obviously they're different disciplines to real hunting, but there's enough similarity to give an advantage over not practising at all.

I have got a brilliant, but hideously unwieldy home made night vision set up on my air rifle, for when I have a rat problem in my chicken run. It's very effective though.

Canada. I'm no expert in this stuff.  Just exchanging ideas but I have hunting friends and gun owners.  In an apocalypse situation your biggest problem is bound to be everybody else.  Roaming bands of very hungry people will be the dominant problem for the first month.  Police will be long gone, mostly looking after their own family situation (Katrina).  The armed forces are nowhere near big enough to control the population and similarly will be most likely looking after themselves and defending the very rich.  If you could hide and keep yourself fed for a month most of the opposition will kill itself or die of starvation.  I see going squirrel hunting as exposing yourself to the local riff raff.  Great after a few months if there are any left but you need to survive those first months without engaging since your best defense is to not be found.  If you do get into a fight you have to win totally which is where a group of like minded  friends is probably essential, even from the point of view that someone needs to be on watch 24/7.   If you are found by a roving group of chavs you will have to take the fight to them and you will need all the fire power and friends you can get.  I think it is worth whatever grief you have to go through to own a fire arm.  It comes down to God may be responsible for creation but Smith and Wesson made us equal.  The illegal fire arm supply is most likely pretty big and you have to be able to hold your own against armed, very hungry crooks.  A well fed, well armed group of  guys is your best resource.  Your night vision apparatus would be a major asset to any group but make sure your power source is plentiful.  The lecy will be long gone.  It is a fascinating subject even though it has a very small possibility of actually happening . . . . until it happens!   

43 minutes ago, Snow bird said:

A well fed, well armed group of  guys is your best resource.

Far be it for me to not take this seriously, but I misread that as a well fed, armed group of gays being a good resource. Although arguably they could come in very handy in a whole range of situations.

2 hours ago, Snow bird said:

Canada. I'm no expert in this stuff.  Just exchanging ideas but I have hunting friends and gun owners.  In an apocalypse situation your biggest problem is bound to be everybody else.  Roaming bands of very hungry people will be the dominant problem for the first month.  Police will be long gone, mostly looking after their own family situation (Katrina).  The armed forces are nowhere near big enough to control the population and similarly will be most likely looking after themselves and defending the very rich.  If you could hide and keep yourself fed for a month most of the opposition will kill itself or die of starvation.  I see going squirrel hunting as exposing yourself to the local riff raff.  Great after a few months if there are any left but you need to survive those first months without engaging since your best defense is to not be found.  If you do get into a fight you have to win totally which is where a group of like minded  friends is probably essential, even from the point of view that someone needs to be on watch 24/7.   If you are found by a roving group of chavs you will have to take the fight to them and you will need all the fire power and friends you can get.  I think it is worth whatever grief you have to go through to own a fire arm.  It comes down to God may be responsible for creation but Smith and Wesson made us equal.  The illegal fire arm supply is most likely pretty big and you have to be able to hold your own against armed, very hungry crooks.  A well fed, well armed group of  guys is your best resource.  Your night vision apparatus would be a major asset to any group but make sure your power source is plentiful.  The lecy will be long gone.  It is a fascinating subject even though it has a very small possibility of actually happening . . . . until it happens!   

This needs to be made into a film! Like The Road - but with chavs!

There I was planning on getting a shotgun simply to defend myself from pikeys :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Fully Detached said:

Far be it for me to not take this seriously, but I misread that as a well fed, armed group of gays being a good resource. Although arguably they could come in very handy in a whole range of situations.

It has happened before, a small militia of gay men against the Reich.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willem_Arondeus

2 hours ago, Fully Detached said:

Fair play to them, that must have taken some courage.

Indeed, his final words were apparently: "Let it be known that homosexuals are not cowards!"

Back in the mid-90's I used to enjoy popping into Mayfair gun club and unleashing the Magnum on an unsuspecting plank of wood. The club sounds glamorous but it was a rundown couple of rooms under some railway arches in SE1. I think Tony Blair shut it down and gave all the guns away to the local street gangs.

9 hours ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Back in the mid-90's I used to enjoy popping into Mayfair gun club and unleashing the Magnum on an unsuspecting plank of wood. The club sounds glamorous but it was a rundown couple of rooms under some railway arches in SE1. I think Tony Blair shut it down and gave all the guns away to the local street gangs.

That reminds me of a shooting club my dad used to take me to in a disused railway tunnel. It was several hundred yards long so ideal for zeroing his deer stalking rifle scopes. They always seemed to be a little bit relaxed on the regulations side of things, and I used to be allowed the odd few shots with .762 and .243 at the age of about 13. They later got closed down because the owners got hold of some "deactivated" automatic weapons, reactivated them, and got caught letting rip with them after hours, lol. This was all pre-Hungerford so probably not as outrageous as it sounds.

Re the deer stalking, the old man belonged to the culling team on a local estate. On the basis that a certain acreage can only support a finite number of deer, their job was to go out and look for the old, infirm, or injured and take them out in order to leave the healthy behind. It meant that we'd see one or two deer you could have shot every time you went out, but found one we actually did every 6 or 8 hunts or so. I learned a lot about the countryside and discipline from that, as well as seeing the damage a poacher with an underpowered weapon can cause.