• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Germany has...

University: If some regional governments calculated that they could afford to compensate for the loss of income through tuition fees, it has partly to do with the fact that thanks to a strong tradition of vocational courses and apprenticeships, the percentage of young people who opt to go to university is smaller in Germany than in the UK, about 27% compared to 48%

All of Germany’s 109 private universities charge tuition fees.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/04/tuition-fees-germany-higher-education

Although you can study for free at public German universities as an undergraduate, there is a charge per semester for enrolment, confirmation and administration. This is typically no more than €300 (~US$320) per semester, but varies depending on the university.

There may be an additional charge to purchase a “Semesterticket”, which covers public transport expenses for six months – the price varies depending upon which Semesterticket option you choose. If you exceed the standard period of study by more than four semesters, you may also face a long-term fee charge, which could be as much as €500 (~US$540) per semester.

Most universities in Germany are public. Private institutions are usually dependent on tuition fees for their funding (though some also receive support from foundations), and set their own fees, which can be anything up to €20,000 a year (~US$21,560).

https://www.topuniversities.com/student-info/student-finance/how-much-does-it-cost-study-germany

But despite promising not to introduce general fees earlier this year, the Baden-Württemberg state government has announced the reintroduction of tuition fees to international students from autumn 2017.
Read more at https://www.studying-in-germany.org/germany-will-reintroduce-tuition-fees-non-eu-students/#yFLAbjb7PegfOWuA.99

Edited by sarahbell

I like Germany. It should annex Austria, and the Suedatenland, and then Poland. It should also make Sure a Mercedes car doesn't rust faster than a FIAT, as they are living on a past reputation.

29 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

It also has a 71% of GDP debt. Not quite as high as ours, but not exactly frugal.

Wonder how much the UK's would be if you included stuff like PFIs, Banker bailouts, Help to Buy, etc etc

1 minute ago, Fischer said:

Wonder how much the UK's would be if you included stuff like PFIs, Banker bailouts, Help to Buy, etc etc

Don't even go there dude, you'll scare the children...

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

20232171_855199587972296_852031575561842

Dont the Germans build things people want to buy?

Unlike the Brits who sell expensive property to each other.

Germans also have very different housing policies.

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

And about two million, square-one new arrivals that will hoover up a good chunk of the funding for many things on that list.

Best of luck to them.

Didn't they get mostly the Syrians? Some bad eggs in there no doubt but a lot higher standard of education(pre-war) than the places a lot of the inhabitants of Grenfell Tower(a fair sample of London social housing?) came from. Quite a lot of them will be "in" the economy soon.

I suspect the Germans will do this, like everything else, better than us. It wont be perfect, but I doubt it will be the total clusterfuck 2m Islamic immigrants suddenly arriving in the UK would make.

Just now, swissy_fit said:

Didn't they get mostly the Syrians? Some bad eggs in there no doubt but a lot higher standard of education(pre-war) than the places a lot of the inhabitants of Grenfell Tower(a fair sample of London social housing?) came from. Quite a lot of them will be "in" the economy soon.

I suspect the Germans will do this, like everything else, better than us. It wont be perfect, but I doubt it will be the total clusterfuck 2m Islamic immigrants suddenly arriving in the UK would make.

I thought it was mainly first come first served but I may be wrong on that front. In reality, I'm not sure how they could really differentiate between the genuine cases and the chancers when we are talking about those sort of numbers and such a short timescale. Personally I don't think they've got a clue who's there for the most part and have massively dropped a bollock.

I agree that they will find the most pragmatic way to deal with it as the Germans do. The UK fucked up taking on even a small amount of 'child refugees' who ended up sporting five 'o clock shadows and bald spots.

1 hour ago, Fischer said:

Rather than absolute terms or % of GDP we can measure it the So-Called BBC way, in extra years of work before state pension. 

3 hours ago, sarahbell said:

20232171_855199587972296_852031575561842

One - it has very productive companies. When push came to shove   years after unification - unions companies and workers agreed to 10 + years of wage restraints.  In the 70s in the uk, companies and workers fell to buts and fought and fuck up.

As far as uni, very few germans go. Tgey have strwamed education from 11, so only a few wil go on.

Germans also have Hartz social acheme. You work 40h week for 1000E/m or dont get benefits.

Germans dont have housing benefit.

As far as chikdcare goes german families are expected to look after the kids. There are not many singke parents on benfits in germany. Actually i think theres effectively 0 pro single parents - Hartz makes you work.

Until the recent massive immigration they also had enough housing (they still build social housing - hint!)

A lot of the things that they do well would be impossible if they had allowed their housing market to be the same clusterfuck as the UK, high housing costs drag down the economy and they know this. But they didn't allow it - only recently has it taken off, and I expect them to build like crazy until that issue goes away too. Pragmatism, planning, you know, stuff that governments are meant to do.

The charts of total debt to gdp for various countries is always pretty staggering for the amount of total UK debt relative to the other main countries.

Link below up to 2011 but apparently there's been little deleverage since then.  A lot of such charts stop at about 2011 and haven't been updated for the general public as if they have something to hide since then.

png_new_DebtDeleveragingEx_remade_DZmr.ashx

3 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

Until the recent massive immigration they also had enough housing (they still build social housing - hint!)

A lot of the things that they do well would be impossible if they had allowed their housing market to be the same clusterfuck as the UK, high housing costs drag down the economy and they know this. But they didn't allow it - only recently has it taken off, and I expect them to build like crazy until that issue goes away too. Pragmatism, planning, you know, stuff that governments are meant to do.

Housing costs were already high by the early 1990s - a smallish house was half a million in Munich back then, you could have bought an estate in the UK at the same time. It has been flat since because the economy stagnated for a long time. It is also a much bigger country than England with a lower population density.

Housing stock is generally higher quality, apart from the toilets!

12 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I thought it was mainly first come first served but I may be wrong on that front. In reality, I'm not sure how they could really differentiate between the genuine cases and the chancers when we are talking about those sort of numbers and such a short timescale. Personally I don't think they've got a clue who's there for the most part and have massively dropped a bollock.

I agree that they will find the most pragmatic way to deal with it as the Germans do. The UK fucked up taking on even a small amount of 'child refugees' who ended up sporting five 'o clock shadows and bald spots.

The most pragmatic way of dealing with it is to deport them once their country is safe again. Luckily Germany has form here.